How do you think if my first flashlight is SENS AA?

Summit

Newly Enlightened
I read many reviews in this forum, and think the ADT technology is pretty good. I think it would suit me best as an EDC flashlight, as I am rather a green hand in the flashlights. Can anybody give me some suggestions here.

egrep

Enlightened
IMNSO, YMMV, etc.....

Frankly, I think it's hilarious. It appears to be a single axis accelerometer connected to a simple PIC with a few settings. Point down for dim. 45 degrees for mid, point flat for bright. I just *LOVE* the hype marketing speak "the built in microcomputer will judge the distance" NO, it measures the angle. Hold it horizontal (flat) and point it at a wall directly in front of you and it won't dim. It will go full bright. Would be nice if it did "judge distance" and behave appropriately, but that's not what it does.

In short a gimmick designed to garner sales from a feature hungry market. How're you gonna compete with the internets and all those smart, connected devices? SENS!

I will say to no one in particular ad everyone in general that "A fool and his money are soon parted"

Last edited:

jacksmith

Newly Enlightened
searched and finally get some idea of the SENS AA !Sens is a new series of flashlights manufactured by NiteCore which incorporate an accelerometer into its electronics to control and change output levels.

Pros:Small and compact yet still providing bright maximum output. Sensible implementation of accelerometer for switching. [h=3]Cons:[/h]Active Dimming feature ramps output a little too slowly.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
egrep - you really don't like this light, do you?

Summit - I've had my Sens AA for about a week and a bit as my go to EDC (on a neck lanyard in fact) and I'm coming round to it from a position of not really knowing why they bothered with ADT at all.

First off the low is at a very useful level, good enough for nighttime book reading or checking on the kids without disturbing them (as long as the ADT isn't on!).

The high (120 lumens) is also good enough for 90 percent of the things you would wish to do around the house and garden and even for walking across parks and unlit roads - poop dodging (almost a National sport over here in London).

The medium I only ever seem to encounter if I'm operating the ADT. This doesn't mean its useless, it just means that I haven't had a use for it yet.

The Active Dimming is ok - not a deal breaker but not fantastically useful to me so far - mostly I use it to check it still works or to show the torch off to others - nobody thinks the ADT will revolutionize torch manufacture in the future unless it becomes..er...something else? It is great if you were having to refer back to something close by and below you - say a map if you were night hiking, but aside from that....

Above all the beam quality is fantastic, I've not seen anybody mention this yet - a nice wide hotspot gradually reducing softly into the spill - no artifacts to speak of and very useful.

Above all it's very cheap but well made - no functional problems at all.

I cannot countenance the recommendation of either of the other two Sens torches - the CR and the Mini - strictly because the low is way too high in my opinion (which is a huge shame-BTW)

I think it's not a bad light and has much to offer - it does make tail switched UI torches seem a bit mundane in comparison. What other torch were you considering?

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does it react when walking. Will it ramp like crasy if you try to swing your arms a little for balance? I dont like it when they put too mutch electronics in stuff, more stuff can fail.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, not like that, in fact the 'soft' elbow between levels is good in this regard - it doesn't jump in level it sashays between them.

Let's face it this light is going to divide people right down the middle and although it's not going to be high on anyone's list as a tactical torch, it is, at least, interesting with possibilities.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with most of what Nyctophiliac said, especially that egrep really doesn't like this light! :laughing: Things I see a bit differently are that when I need more light, usually medium is plenty, so I use high the least. I also have tried using the ADT a bit, and still don't like it around the house, but I think it may actually be useful walking a trail in the woods. No loss if not, as the ability to select which mode I want directly without scrolling through modes justifies the use of the accelerometer.

Let me put it this way, as a feature that may not get used by all owners, or even many, and does not get in the way when not wanted, I think the ADT part of the interface makes for a much more potentially useful "bonus" feature than any kind of flashing mode. Apologies to the designers for calling what they surely consider the "main" feature of the light a "bonus", but I know I am not alone, and this is just my experience so far over a short time with the light in limited environments.

The beam is the best part of the light, very useful for most tasks, as long as you don't expect to be able to use it for spotlighting things at a distance. Also agree on the low on the AA, not interested in the other battery types because they won't go as low as I want.

There have been a lot of reviews and a lot of people with these lights already, and they don't seem to have any real quality issues. One reviewer did manage to flatten the little leaf spring in the bottom of the battery tube. I think the thing to keep in mind with regard to that is that the light will come on well before the head will stop turning. If you crank it until you feel it stop, you are mashing the spring more than is necessary. This is aggravated a bit by the inability to see if the light is coming on right away in low and medium due to the "soft start" feature. This may cause people to keep turning the head thinking they have not gone far enough yet when it is in fact starting to ramp up. I wish this was either a faster ramp, or I would be fine with completely eliminating the ramp feature all together. Likewise, while the slow ramp down in ADT mode helps to keep the light from bouncing around in intensity to quickly, I think it is a bit too slow - more of a crawl than a sashay.

Bottom line is I like it, it does just enough that none of my many other lights don't do that I am glad I bought two, and would by a third before I would sell one.

Last edited:

jorgen

Enlightened
i bought the mini version for my key chain and i like it a lot. it has replaced my Quark Mini cr2 despite the larger size.
I don't use the auto adjustment feature so no comment on that.
What I like about the light is the ability to choose a L,M or H level with a single twist rather than as many as 3 twists.
This makes the size increase worth it and if adopted by others would eliminate the LMH vs. HML debate that crops up from time to time.

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good points by both Hondo and jorgen. Both of you reminded me that one of the best things about the Sens series is that you can choose which mode to come on with with one twist, purely by judging the angle of cant. This is pretty unique as far as I can think of. The Maglite Xl series does have a gravity assisted UI, I think. But as I have not got one yet, I can't relate how similar they may be.

Anyone else comment on the Maglite UI?

Also on the low levels, there is not a trace of PWM flickering.

As to the low on the AA being the best Low, the levels are not appalling on the CR either, the low on the CR equating to the medium on the AA.

motocoder

Newly Enlightened
I read many reviews in this forum, and think the ADT technology is pretty good. I think it would suit me best as an EDC flashlight, as I am rather a green hand in the flashlights. Can anybody give me some suggestions here.

Seems gimmicky to me. I haven't tried it, but I am sure it would irritate me more than I would find it useful.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okeydokey, had these lights for 12 days now. My feelings have reached actionable levels!

I kind of gave up on the CR123A version early on because of the low level being too high for my tastes as mentioned earlier. This is despite the small size and great beam quality. So I perservered with the AA version, which has an eminently useable set of levels.

The Pros and Cons:

Pros:
Good level spacing
Small size
Easy head turning with one hand
Great beam quality
Great tint (pure white)
No PWM
Innovative UI
Feels good in the hand
The low level is ideal for night time reading in bed
A good talking point with friends and colleagues due to the unique UI and the ADT

Cons:
Soft start absolutely infuriating - sometimes seems to take forever to come on in low (perception rather than faulty torch, I would think). This leads you to keep twisting the head with the possibility of crushing the 'leaf' style negative contact inside the light. So even though the light will switch on in exactly the level you want it to, and although the beam quality and tint is all you could want for the task, you absolutely hate the light because it has all the quick response of a catatonic cow on a milking machine, and then some. By the time the light struggles to bring to illuminate the thing you want to see in the gloom at the bottom of your bed or in the corner of your garden (Is that a Snake? Rat? Cockroach? Fifty pence piece?) you have forgotten what it was you thought you wanted to see in the first place, such is the distraction of a light that wakes up as slowly as the Dormouse at the man in the hat's tea party!

I have consigned these lights to bag and lending drawer duty.

If they can make it more responsive, I'll give them another go, but at 3 seconds from off to full low-level is too long IMHO.

A shame.

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, while the ramp time to on in low and medium is the FIRST thing I would like to see changed (just bag the "soft start" altogether, IMO), I have not given up. My next step is not a cure for this, but it should help. I plan to drop two dots of white nail polish, one on the head and one on the body, at the point where the light is reliably on. At least then if there is enough light to see bright white on flat black, and I can glance at the light when turning it on, I can just twist the dots in allignment and know that I am on, and it will be bright in a couple of seconds. It at least will greatly reduce the tendancy to over crush the spring.

Flashlight Enthusiast
gimmick and geek points for sure

practical use, the owner will wish it had three fixed modes....firefly, low and high.

so far all the high-zoot fancy modes this and that....I boil it down to wanting 3 levels immediately accessible
and nothing automatic happening on me...

ouchyfoot

Newly Enlightened
I love this little light. As soon as I saw it I knew I wanted it to run a 14500 battery.
Because of the heat output from small 14500 lights you always have to remember to dim them or turn them off as heat builds. With this light there is no need to be twisting or clicking to drop the output....just lower your hand to ease down and lift to resume high output. What could be simpler for managing output.
I run AW 14500 on mine and it works flawlessly.

egrep

Enlightened

I strongly advise you to avoid this gimmicky flashlight.

egrep

Enlightened
How does it react when walking. Will it ramp like crasy if you try to swing your arms a little for balance? I dont like it when they put too mutch electronics in stuff, more stuff can fail.

yes

ouchyfoot

Newly Enlightened
You can set it at the level you want and it won't ramp at all.
I do agree though that this might not be best suited as a first choice in an EDC light. I have lots of lights so I can treat myself to a "gimmicky" light that suits my purpose to a tee.
Eagletac D25a clicky is a very nice EDC. Small and slim with a really good well placed pocket clip.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I've got to agree with Jon on this one, features for features sake, can someone point out when this feature would be useful, I want to set my light to the level I want not have my flashlight decide for me.

Norm

IMNSO, YMMV, etc.....

Frankly, I think it's hilarious. It appears to be a single axis accelerometer connected to a simple PIC with a few settings. Point down for dim. 45 degrees for mid, point flat for bright. I just *LOVE* the hype marketing speak "the built in microcomputer will judge the distance" NO, it measures the angle. Hold it horizontal (flat) and point it at a wall directly in front of you and it won't dim. It will go full bright. Would be nice if it did "judge distance" and behave appropriately, but that's not what it does.

In short a gimmick designed to garner sales from a feature hungry market. How're you gonna compete with the internets and all those smart, connected devices? SENS!

I will say to no one in particular ad everyone in general that "A fool and his money are soon parted"