HDS Systems

Thread: Leatherman Wingman

Default Leatherman Wingman

This Leatherman Multi-Tool arrived today.

Comparison with the Victorinox SwissTool Spirit Plus

LUX'Ottica

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Leatherman Wingman

Being a longtime Leatherman Fan I was personally disappointed by the quality of Leatherman's two newest multitools the Wingman and Sidekick.

I understand the attraction of these two multitools is their price but ... just save a little extra and get a Wave or even the Blast.

I've had some Leatherman Tools myself.

Wave (First Gen and Second Gen)
    Charge AL
    Crunch
    PST II
    Super Tool
    Juice S2
    Skeletool
    Micra

The Juice S2 is the one that I really liked and performed within its intended task that it was built for. As for the Full-Sized Multi-Tool, the Victorinox SwissTool Spirit Plus proved itself even more so than the full-sized LMs especially in terms of durability. Of course, Your Methods May Vary Accordingly so.
    LUX'Ottica

I've carried the Wave (I believe its a first gen) daily for years and I love it. It seems every day someone asks me to borrow it. I have heard the Wingman isn't up to the same standards as some of the other models. But I haven't actually put my hands on one yet. Perhaps its geared towards a lighter duty crowd.
    "I don't fail, I succeed at finding what doesn't work." -Chris Titus

What attracted me to the wingman was the sprung jaws. I find having sprung jaws very useful and up until the wingman carried the gerber suspension for the same reason.

The wingman is not as high quality as some of their other models possibly made outside the USA but for $20 it's outstanding value.

Flashaholic*

Thanks for the post and the pics! : )

Quote Originally Posted by Imon View Post
    I understand the attraction of these two multitools is their price but ... just save a little extra and get a Wave or even the Blast.
    I was looking at these models yesterday adn came to the same conclusion: better off with the Wave which I already have. If you are on a budget, for 20 bucks they are definitely worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by CLHC View Post
    The Juice S2 is the one that I really liked and performed within its intended task that it was built for. As for the Full-Sized Multi-Tool, the Victorinox SwissTool Spirit Plus proved itself even more so than the full-sized LMs especially in terms of durability. Of course, Your Methods May Vary Accordingly so.
    Nearly bought a Juice S2 this week: wanted a light multi-tool with pliers and scissors to complement my Victorinox One Hand DD Forester for when I go hiking and the S2 fit the profile nearly perfectly. The only thing that really put me off is that the cheapest price I found was 65 euros which is a lot for a MM of that size. I'm sure it's a high-quality tool but I can get scissors by bringing a Victorinox Climber [15 euros] as a back-up knife and probably would have a better blade too. I wouldn't have any pliers but I wouldn't use them a much for hiking either. Looks like a great tool though - I might still grab one if I can find at a lower price.

I just bought a Wingman locally a few days ago. I love it! I did a ton of research on several models. The Wave sounds great, but I couldn't justify the cost for how much I use something like this. Good price too, so I may get a second one for the EDC pouch in my car. It has just a tiny bit of play between each handle when closed, but not a big deal.

I didn't get a nice box with mine; just the basic blister pack.

Flashaholic*

I have the Sidekick and the Wave.
    The Sidekick is less sturdy than the Wave but if you don't compare them side to side (or are used to the Wave) IMHO the Sidekick doesn't feel bad.
    The benefit of the Sidekick is price but also that it is smaller and lighter.
    I have the Wave in my car and the Sidekick in my bag that I carry with me to work.
    They doesn't get much use but they are good to have just in case.

I bought one for my son who is a Boy Scout. Way more useful than a standard pocket knife and I won't cry if he loses it. The price and utility is just right for this situation.