Surefire U2 repairable? Or replace with??

TexasBP

Newly Enlightened
Brand new member came looking for advice on my Surefire U2 that I blew up using cheap fleabay batteries.

From what little I have read here so far the batteries vented. Ya to put it lightly. Pressure blew out both ends glass blew out and tail cap blew. Scared the crap out of me and my partner.Lol Dumb move on my part.

So my question is do I try repairing it? I Thought it was a good light. Should I just replace it with something new? The U2 has the variable output option. I like being able to go from low to high light easily. Any recommendations?

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Putting a rubber boot and new glass on should be no problems if the light itself works. And you can find cheap glass lenses and rubber boots online if they blew into pices.
Make sure you always put 2 brand new quality cells in it. Mixed voltage on the cell means poof :)

Phil Ament

Enlightened
Did it blow the tailcap right off or just the rubber boot, as in your post it doesn't really specify. I would only imagine that if it has blown the tailcap right off, that with the necessary amount of force that would be involved that it would have most probably damaged some other internal parts as well. I would also guess that the costs involved with repairing it would really largely depend on where exactly you are located, as in the shipping costs. Are you in the USA?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you contacted SF? They should be able to fix it free of charge. That's included in the purchase price :0)

Imon

Enlightened
Have you contacted SF? They should be able to fix it free of charge. That's included in the purchase price :0)

While I personally have had good experience with SF customer service it was for small things like pocket clips and lanyard rings...

I think if your SF blows up because you are using questionable batteries SF might think twice about replacing your light. Doesn't SF recommend that you only use their "SF123" cells?
Still ... worth a shot to just ask.

gsr

Enlightened
I had a Kroma that I bought in the Cabela's Bargin Cave. The blue LED ring didn't work. I sent it in to Surefire, and they repaired it. My only cost was shipping it to them. I say give Surefire a call. You won't be any worse off than you are right now.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my U2's wouldn't change modes, it took a few days for Surefire to reply to my Email with an RMA number. I sent it off on the 12th and it was a my door this evening complete with new cells (I sent it empty) and a new head. That's right, they replaced the head and sent it back. Now I'm even more happy that Surefire makes up 90% of my lights. :D

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF replaced an M6 head and tailcap for me after a bulb explosively blew, and they're sending me new grip rings for a Z2 free of charge. Good customer service. I'd give 'em a call and see what they say.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolutely contact SureFire. I've always had best luck with calling rather than emailing them.

SF does technically say to only use SureFire, Panasonic, Duracell, or Energizer brand 123 cells, but they might still help you out.

TexasBP

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I will call first thing Monday they have not got to my email yet. Glad to hear good things about sf customer service. Thanks again for the advice. I will let you know what happens.

bstrickler

Enlightened
You'll have a long phone wait but when you actually get a human they're awfully good to deal with.

And if you end up having to leave a message like I did, they usually call back quickly. They called me back in less than 2 hours. Replaced my partially broken, but still functional XM00 with a brand new one.

If Surefire won't replace it, I may buy it off you.

Putting a rubber boot and new glass on should be no problems if the light itself works. And you can find cheap glass lenses and rubber boots online if they blew into pices.
Make sure you always put 2 brand new quality cells in it. Mixed voltage on the cell means poof :)

U2 glass isn't replaceable by regular glass. It uses a special concavo convex lens.

TexasBP

Newly Enlightened
Finally getting back to everyone. Spoke to Surefire told them what happened they offered to look at it and gave me a return authorization number. After about two weeks I got pretty much a new light only looked like they kept my original battery tube. Expensive light but I will be buying more Surefire lights in the future.

Jbirk

Newly Enlightened
Finally getting back to everyone. Spoke to Surefire told them what happened they offered to look at it and gave me a return authorization number. After about two weeks I got pretty much a new light only looked like they kept my original battery tube. Expensive light but I will be buying more Surefire lights in the future.

I will buy one too after reading this thread. A+++ Surefire!