• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

switch problems on SR450

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I am having occasional problems with my SR450. Sometimes I turn it on and it goes dim or very dim. Sometimes the temporary press is bright but when I let go it goes dim. I can tap the tail of the light and sometimes this fixes it or I can cycle a few clicks and it might fix it.
I am thinking that this is the switch rather than the electronics but what can be done about these types of switches? It does not seem like I can open the switch to clean it or anything. I am assuming that the contacts are not connecting fully but I do not know.
What are your guys thoughts?

To PEAK, if this is not something that can easily be fixed myself will you send me a replacement one?

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can take off the clicky tailcap with rubber boot and plastic protector. I was a little hesitant at first to take it apart but was reassured when Robyn told me how to do it. First twist off the black plastic switch protector then unscrew the black rubber boot. It should come out as one piece. If you really want to, you can remove the rubber boot. Try gently spraying it with a little duster spray. If this doesn't fix it you can shoot Peak an email requesting a replacement switch.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I have removed the rubber sleeve/boot before but the white plastic part never comes apart right? I can try blow compressed air into it but that is all I can do right?

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't taken apart the white plastic housing because there are too many springs involved. Lose one and you're out of business. It looks like the housing is snapped shut from the bottom, and any attempt to open it looks like it would break the plastic lip holding it all in.

The easy thing to do is shoot Robyn an email and she'll send you a replacement switch. :) If that doesn't work you can send the whole light back to Peak. The turnaround time has changed drastically, my lights took a week or two.

Last edited:

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I sent an email to the email on the new peak website a few days ago but have not heard anything yet. I cannot find a phone number anymore. I will try to PM robyn or curt if nothing soon.

jorgen

Enlightened
When I purchased my light from RMSK, I bought an extra spare switch for $10, just for this reason.

Last edited:

jorgen

Enlightened
I guess it depends on your willingness to wait. I like having spare batteries and switches for instant replacement.
That does not mean I would not want a replacement provided the postage to return part and receive a new one did not exceed the cost.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I emailed and PMed everyone but no reply after about a week... I thought peak had their customer service back on track?

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep trying, don't give up! :) Did you try the address I sent you?

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
In recent history that's really unusual. My advice would be to keep trying. If you don't get a response anytime soon shoot me a PM. :)

Last edited:

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I'll try again soon if I don't hear anything back.
I kind of just want to sell this light, but can't do that with a defective switch. I wonder if there is another source for the switch?
The light itself is a good light, it just doesn't fit the holster I have and is a little large on my belt.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I should update that they did send me a new switch to replace the malfunctioning one. Actually they sent me two switches at absolutely no cost. The light now works properly. Thanks Peak!

On a related note I am now putting the light up for sale. The light is good but I transferred to daytime and I just don't need a thrower anymore. So the light is free to go to a new home at a very good price.
See my signature for more information.