Battery storage?

jackknifeh

Newly Enlightened
I heard many years ago to store batteries in the freezer if long term storage is necessary. Is that good? How about rechargable batteries? I had some Tenergy rechargable batteries that I had charged and when I used them they were dead. They had been charged within the previous 6 months at the most. I charged them and they seem to be fine now. But for how long? I bought a few Eneloop batteries for some items because I've heard they were as good as rechargable batteries get. I have some Eneloop batteries that I haven't used. Should I just keep them until the other Eneloops quit recharging or go ahead and use them? The Eneloops are twice the price but if the others don't last they may represent wasted money. I don't need the best performance but even the cheaper batteries should work and not be dead when I need them.

Any info is appreciated.

Jack

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I'm sure someone can come along and supply some links to useful info but in general the freezer trick is old...before rechargeables were commonly available and thus applies only to alkaline batteries. Since freezing the paste inside them would also prevent the chemical reaction necessary for power it also meant you wouldn't get max power out of them immediately. It was an idea that worked for hotter environments as alkalines would lose more charge as the ambient temperature went up...at 100 degrees they would lose 25% per year or so....definitely a good idea to keep them cool.

As for the Eneloops I would recommend cycling them with the current ones. Use one set for a month and then the other for the next. Or maybe swap every two to three months. While NiMH tech is better than NiCd batteries when it comes to self-discharging....they still lose charge over time and six months is a while to go without being recharged. Remember that in most flashlights the driver circuit will need a minimum voltage to make things work and if your light isn't working then most likely your batteries are below that threshold...not necessarily completely dead.

With regard to the Tenergy batteries...well...you get what you pay for and sometimes it's not what you would prefer.

Last edited:

jackknifeh

Newly Enlightened
Well I'm sure someone can come along and supply some links to useful info but in general the freezer trick is old...before rechargeables were commonly available and thus applies only to alkaline batteries. Since freezing the paste inside them would also prevent the chemical reaction necessary for power it also meant you wouldn't get max power out of them immediately. It was an idea that worked for hotter environments as alkalines would lose more charge as the ambient temperature went up...at 100 degrees they would lose 25% per year or so....definitely a good idea to keep them cool.

As for the Eneloops I would recommend cycling them with the current ones. Use one set for a month and then the other for the next. Or maybe swap every two to three months. While NiMH tech is better than NiCd batteries when it comes to self-discharging....they still lose charge over time and six months is a while to go without being recharged. Remember that in most flashlights the driver circuit will need a minimum voltage to make things work and if your light isn't working then most likely your batteries are below that threshold...not necessarily completely dead.

With regard to the Tenergy batteries...well...you get what you pay for and sometimes it's not what you would prefer.

That's for sure. Until a few years ago I wasn't aware you had to spend AT LEAST $50 on a pocket knife to be a happy person. All of a sudden my $10 knife is incapable of opening a cardboard box. :(:) Of course the quality sharpening stuff followed. Now it's flashlights and batteries. What's next? :(:confused:

I guess I'll run my batteries through a discharge/charge cycle then I'll keep track of performance if possible. Then I'll know if I can tell a big difference. Evidentally I have too much time on my hands. :)

Jack

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Your tenergys where dead after 6 monthes or wont take a charge? If they just self discharged thats no big deal? but yeah eneloops are the best there all I have and they will stay charged for like 2 years.

Fridge or basement closet not freezer.