The Fenix-Store
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: SALE: JM-PhD-D1 PWM Hotwire Regulator BATCH 2

Enlightened

Default Re: SALE: JM-PhD-D1 PWM Hotwire Regulator BATCH 2

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyM View Post
    gVp, yours have shipped via First Class Mail international. I'll PM you the Customs code.
    thank you, sir!

Flashaholic*

These are perfect. I'm going to get a few more kits when I sell more regulators.

Flashaholic*

Does no one know about these?

Does no one know about these?

"KIU" kits? If so, I didn't till this past week .

BTW, regulators received. They look GREAT ! Man these dudes rock ! YOU rock

Thanks so very much.

Doug

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by secondtimearound View Post
    "KIU" kits? If so, I didn't till this past week .

BTW, regulators received. They look GREAT ! Man these dudes rock ! YOU rock

Thanks so very much.

Doug
    Actually I meant the regulators. I thought they'd be selling like hotcakes. Oh well. I still have plenty. Come and get 'em, lads.

So if I want to turn a single mode regulator into a multi mode regulator later on, I just edit and recompile the source code right? I assume there are annotation notes in the code to make this pretty easy? I don't see it documented, is why I ask.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    So if I want to turn a single mode regulator into a multi mode regulator later on, I just edit and recompile the source code right? I assume there are annotation notes in the code to make this pretty easy? I don't see it documented, is why I ask.
    Yes, it's annotated in the code. It's pretty straight forward.

It is not mentioned what "response" is. Is this the time the driver takes to respond to a momentary input? Or is it how long you have to hold down the momentary button for the driver to perform the function?

Edit: after re-reading everything I have inferred that response is the amount of time it takes the driver to move in and out of Vlow, for battery recovery and such.

"Pot 2 (Vlow): Adjusts low voltage set point. (Clockwise increases) When the low voltage set point is reached (by falling pack voltage) and maintained for 0.125 to 0.5 seconds (configurable by the user), the output will be reduced and ramped up and down between 2 lower percentages of the set output voltage. It will pulse. If the batteries recover, the regulator will ramp voltage back up to the set point."

Also, what level does vlow dimming dim to? What levels does pulsing pulse between and what is the pulse interval? In dimming mode is the battery expected to recover such that it will effectively pulse but at a wide interval?
    Last edited by Hoop; 08-18-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Flashaholic*

It is not mentioned what "response" is. Is this the time the driver takes to respond to a momentary input? Or is it how long you have to hold down the momentary button for the driver to perform the function?

Edit: after re-reading everything I have inferred that response is the amount of time it takes the driver to move in and out of Vlow, for battery recovery and such.

"Pot 2 (Vlow): Adjusts low voltage set point. (Clockwise increases) When the low voltage set point is reached (by falling pack voltage) and maintained for 0.125 to 0.5 seconds (configurable by the user), the output will be reduced and ramped up and down between 2 lower percentages of the set output voltage. It will pulse. If the batteries recover, the regulator will ramp voltage back up to the set point."
    The word "response" doesn't appear in the code. However, from what you're describing. This is what you're looking for from the code.
    /* This is the number of consecutive times a voltage event must happen to trigger an action
    such as enable the low voltage mode or over temp mode
    */
    // 244Hz mode
    // 122 counts = 0.5 seconds
    // 61 counts = 0.25 seconds. (Default)
    // 30 counts = 0.125 seconds
    #define VCOUNTS 30

Also, what level does vlow dimming dim to? What levels does pulsing pulse between and what is the pulse interval? In dimming mode is the battery expected to recover such that it will effectively pulse but at a wide interval?
    From the code:
    /* Set divisors to change regulation voltage based on Over Temp or Low Voltage condition.
    */
    // 0 = 100% of Vbulb setting
    // 1 = 71%
    // 2 = 50%
    // 3 = 35%
    // 4 = 25%
    #define OVERTEMPPCT 3 // Set the new Vbulb during Mode 3, Over Temp. Default=3
    #define PULSEHI 1 // Set the Upper voltage as a percent of the Set Vbulb. Default=1
    #define PULSELOW 2 // Set the Lower voltage as a percent of the Set Vbulb. Default=2
    #define VLOWDIM 2 // Set the voltage for Dimming Vlow Warning. Default=2

Yes, in Dimming mode the battery could recover and set up a pulsing/flashing type of condition. This is exactly what was happening with the X1. I created a "VLOW Latch" option. Once Vlow is set, battery recovery won't unset it. The regulator has to be turned off/on.
    Last edited by JimmyM; 08-19-2012 at 06:08 AM.

Iíll take three drivers:

Operation Mode: Standard
    Vbulb: 16.0V
    Vlow: 22.0V
    Softstart: Slow
    Low Volt Warning: Dim
    Low volt shutdown: Undervolt: 96%
    Over Temp trigger: 70C
    Over Temp Shutdown: Yes, 10 seconds:
    Response: 1/4 second

Vlow Latch: on
    Vlow Dim = 1 (71%)

Total: $100 + 7 = $107

Flashaholic*

Vlow Latch: on
    Vlow Dim = 1 (71%)
    Thanks for the order.
    However, the VLOW Latch functionality is not in the D1 firmware. My post above may not have been clear enough, but I was talking about the latch functionality in the X1 driver. I'll have to add that functionality to the D1 firmware before I ship your regulators out. I probably won't get to it until Wednesday night.

Thanks for doing that!

Flashaholic*

Thanks for doing that!
    Yeah. No sweat. I've changed the code, but have been traveling for work and need to do a little testing to make sure the VLow warning doesn't reset. I should be able to do that this evening. Once confirmed, I'll get you regulators shipped out asap.

I thought they'd be selling like hotcakes. Oh well. I still have plenty. Come and get 'em, lads.
    Purchase coming soon, Jimmy. I'm about to raise some cash, and start figuring out how hard to run my H7680 HIR.
    I'm an excellent driver. Of course I don't have my underwear... I'm definitely not wearing my underwear

That's exactly what I'm using in my next build: H7680 HIR. I will be running it at 16 volts with slow soft start. Ma_sha1's frankenmag daddy used the bulb and popped it somewhere north of 16 volts.

Flashaholic*

I've updated the firmware to include the VLOW_Latch functionality as a compile time option.
    It can be found here http://mysite.verizon.net/jminihane/id1.html It's the Rev3h firmware.

Hoop,
    Your regulators will ship on Monday. Sorry for the wait.

That's exactly what I'm using in my next build: H7680 HIR. I will be running it at 16 volts with slow soft start. Ma_sha1's frankenmag daddy used the bulb and popped it somewhere north of 16 volts.
    The difficult thing there is we don't know what voltage drop the NTC was giving before it was bypassed, and a whole bunch of other info.

I'll likely do a little less severe, but still screaming 15.2V (simulating 3.8V Vbatt per cell under a 6A+ load) with slow start as the bulb is only rated for 100 hours at spec, which means it's already being driven somewhat hard.

95W vs. 100W... thanks to Jimmy, we're gonna' have fun either way!
    I'm an excellent driver. Of course I don't have my underwear... I'm definitely not wearing my underwear

I 'd the bulb @ 16 volts with slow soft start.

Was a H7680x by the way. 300 hour rated.

Edit: I should clarify that I did NOT test increasing voltage up to and arriving at 16 volts. 16 volts was the initial test and it poofed at that. It would probably be good to test at 15 volts or below at first and work your way up to find the ragged edge.
    Last edited by Hoop; 09-22-2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: wasn't sure of the other voltage. removed that example.

I 'd the bulb @ 16 volts with slow soft start.

Was a H7680x by the way. 300 hour rated.
    Can't thank you enough for the info, Hoop.

I've got the 100 hour, non-x... backing off to 15Vbulb.

Jimmy,

OK, ready to go. Just a few questions before ordering:

I'd like to have a two level UI, but would like to have a main power switch to completely cut off the batteries while the light is shelved.

What will happen upon turning on the main switch... will it turn on the bulb at level 1, or go into standby waiting for a command from the momentary?

If it turns on instantly, will the protection and regulation instantly protect the bulb?

Is there any problem with this setup? Does the regulator prefer to have Vbatt connected at all times for any reason, or does it make no difference?

Getting very psyched to build another totally killer incan thanks to you!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerboy View Post
    I'd like to have a two level UI, but would like to have a main power switch to completely cut off the batteries while the light is shelved.

What will happen upon turning on the main switch... will it turn on the bulb at level 1, or go into standby waiting for a command from the momentary?

If it turns on instantly, will the protection and regulation instantly protect the bulb?

Is there any problem with this setup? Does the regulator prefer to have Vbatt connected at all times for any reason, or does it make no difference?
    The main disconnect will have no effect on the operation of the regulator. As soon as it is powered up, it goes to sleep to wait for the momentary to operate as usual.

Thanks for the info. I believe I have this sorted, and...

Operation Mode: Multi-Level
    Vbulb: 14.8V
    Vlow: 16.5V
    Level-1: 100%
    Level-2: 88%
    SoftRamp: Yes
    Softstart: Slow
    Low Volt Warning: Pulsing
    Low volt shutdown: Both, 90 Seconds, 97%
    VLOW_Latch: Enable
    Over Temp trigger: 70C
    Over Temp Shutdown: Yes, 20 Seconds
    Response: 1/2 second

A huge, retina searing, face melting salute to you, Jimmy. These, and your X1's are fantastic bits of incan technology.

Thank you so much for all the fun!

Flashaholic*

Thanks for the order.
    I'll get it set up this weekend.

I'd like to report that he 300 hour rated H7680x bulb has been working fine at 15 volts with soft slow start.

Flashaholic*

I'd like to report that he 300 hour rated H7680x bulb has been working fine at 15 volts with soft slow start.
    Glad to hear.

Flashaholic*

In my humble opinion, this thread needs a bump.
    So here it is..

In my humble opinion, this thread needs a bump.
    So here it is..
    Totally agreed. This thread absolutely deserves a bump as Jimmy has not only created the best incan drivers ever, but he's made a second batch!

Think your regulated LED is hot stuff? Think again!

BTW... mine came in last Friday. Can't wait to put in the new build. Thanks again so much, Jimmy!

64447 at 19 volts is the shizzle. I believe I will build a light which beats fire foxes III in output to size ratio. And they said it couldn't be done.... Probably will have two modes, 12 volts and 19 volts.

Hey Jimmy. I'm becoming very intersested in buying some of your drivers. I had a quick question though. I see that the maximum voltage you can run through the driver is 40.0 Volts. I'm wondering if I could use 10 18650 IMR batteries to drive an Osram 64657 at about 29 volts regulated with the extra overhead from 10 cells. I'm figuring I will have some losses in voltage due to the resistance of the batteries and flashlight body, switches ect, so even though the freshly charged pack voltage would be around 42 volts, do you think it would be fine? Do you think 12 cells (50.4 volts) would kill your driver? The other builds I am contemplating doing are an Osram 64458 driven at 20.9 volts and a philips 5761 driven at 7.6 volts no worries there, but the potential ~18,000 lumens of the Osram 64657 is the beast I would like to tame. Thanks.

Flashaholic*

40V is the absolute MAX the driver can take. Any more will definitely cause damage. The problem is that, when the FET is off, the batteries will still apply most of their voltage. 42V will kill it. Use 9 IMRs for 37.8V or use 8 IMRs and have a little more "safety factor" at = 33.6V.
    29V will draw 12.5A RMS. That's going to be pushing the regulator pretty hard. Especially with any Avalanche current caused by the hard switching at close to 40V. If you intend to try 40+ volts into it, it will fail. Sorry.
    But when running at high currents (~13A), Lux Luthor's testing showed that it can sometimes shutdown due to an overtemp condition. Enclosed in a Mag body will reduce it heat tolerance. However, there are several guys using these regulators that push 10-11A with no problems at all.
    Last edited by JimmyM; 10-12-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast