HDS Systems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I miss the McGizmo limited qty Waves...

Default I miss the McGizmo limited qty Waves...

I loved the rush, repeatedly hitting refresh...hoping to score one of the offerings.
    "I am not a Collector" - Tim

Default Re: I miss the McGizmo limited qty Waves...

I still recall the anguish when I missed one of the final Ti PD-S waves, but managed to snag one down the road on BST. The waves were/are a fun way to capture McGizmo torches!

-Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanM View Post
    I still recall the anguish when I missed one of the final Ti PD-S waves, but managed to snag one down the road on BST. The waves were/are a fun way to capture McGizmo torches!

-Mayo
    Nothing seems very limited anymore, pretty much everything looks to be in stock these days.

I suppose if artificially-enforced exclusivity and sleepless nights are important to you, then the limited-quantity waves would have a lot of appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    I suppose if artificially-enforced exclusivity and sleepless nights are important to you, then the limited-quantity waves would have a lot of appeal.

Never said it was important, but it certainly had it's own appeal. Should I assume you were above hawking over your computer, in hopes of snagging a Ti PD-S when the wave hit? And it wasn't "artificially-enforced exclusivity", it was true exclusivity...the numbers were truly limited.

I get quite enough anguish trying to score Atwood tools in much the same fashion. I was very pleased that when I wanted my Haiku, I could just order it. There is an excitement to the random limited sale, but man, when you miss out it's the pits. And you can bet the people who got 'em are probably gonna soak you on the secondary market because they were able to get one and you didn't. That kind of behavior is what makes it particularly bad IMO. 2-300% price jumps suck.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review Malkoff MDC Review MY LIGHTS McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It, DoNotDelete It.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I get quite enough anguish trying to score Atwood tools in much the same fashion. I was very pleased that when I wanted my Haiku, I could just order it. There is an excitement to the random limited sale, but man, when you miss out it's the pits. And you can bet the people who got 'em are probably gonna soak you on the secondary market because they were able to get one and you didn't. That kind of behavior is what makes it particularly bad IMO. 2-300% price jumps suck.

Many Atwood collectors are no better, crazy prices for those little bits.

Flashaholic

What kind of limited wave was it ?? Any idea

Quote Originally Posted by F250XLT View Post
    Many Atwood collectors are no better, crazy prices for those little bits.
    Right you are! That's why I play the game and watch the blog and try to score them (only occasionally successfully) from Peter. Because I'm not paying $200 for a Keyton. : But it sure would be nice if I could pick up an item later on without getting gouged.

But that is, as I see it, one of the downsides of very limited items.

I think the most fun thing would be to have the standing waves of lights that are available anytime, and then here and there a smattering of "special" lights sold in a first come first serve sale. Maybe they could be unusual emitter prototypes, different metal textures, anodized, etc. That could add the excitement factor, while still keeping lights available to people who just want to buy one today.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review Malkoff MDC Review MY LIGHTS McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It, DoNotDelete It.

I think the most fun thing would be to have the standing waves of lights that are available anytime, and then here and there a smattering of "special" lights sold in a first come first serve sale. Maybe they could be unusual emitter prototypes, different metal textures, anodized, etc. That could add the excitement factor, while still keeping lights available to people who just want to buy one today.
    Similar to what Mac does, I like it
    My Lights__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

A standing wave is nothing more than a production light IMO, it's exciting to have opportunities to score items not many others have. Rarity is what creates buzz, constant availability is bland.

Readily available items are no fun...its a scalper's worst nightmare! There's just no way to snatch one then immediately offer them in BST for 3x the price...bad bad news!
    WTB --> any vintage, cross-hair logo Surefire, SW01 tailcap; Ku's SWM V-series 18500 tubes; PM me if you have a SPY007 XM-L2 SWGG for trade!

Quote Originally Posted by Silgt View Post
    Readily available items are no fun...its a scalper's worst nightmare! There's just no way to snatch one then immediately offer them in BST for 3x the price...bad bad news!

I couldn't agree more...After all, I'm in this game to lose money, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by F250XLT
    A standing wave is nothing more than a production light IMO, it's exciting to have opportunities to score items not many others have. Rarity is what creates buzz, constant availability is bland.
    Ok, so they're luxury production lights. Does that make them any less fantastic?

No it doesn't.

It just makes them less desireable to people whose only objective is to have something other people don't have.

I buy flashlights because I like them and want to use them. I guess the fact that a bunch of other people have Haikus doesn't make me like it less. I still use it every single day and think it's super.

Not saying the current lights are less fantastic, you (and others) are missing my point. I'm not talking about the lights themselves, I'm merely commenting on how Don used to go about selling his lights...that's it.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by F250XLT View Post
    Not saying the current lights are less fantastic, you (and others) are missing my point. I'm not talking about the lights themselves, I'm merely commenting on how Don used to go about selling his lights...that's it.
    And I'm glad he doesn't do it this way anymore. I dislike the exclusivity fetish. I love good quality things, and when I want one, I want to be able to buy it now. I wish Peter would find a way to produce more of his items, more regularly. There's such a gouging culture surrounding his tools.

Let's all be honest for a minute as to how many $400+ dollar Titanium lights there are out in the general population. No matter how they are offered, I've yet to run into someone on the street with a McGizmo clipped to their pocket. The "exclusivity" is still there, just not as tough to obtain one if you're so inclined. The rush and excitement of the limited number waves was fun, but I'm sure it was as much a business decision on Don's part as anything else to have the current offerings take the path they have. Price gouging sucks, but nobody makes you buy them.
    Last edited by scout24; 07-21-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Let's all be honest for a minute as to how many $400+ dollar Titanium lights there are out in the general population. No matter how they are offered, I've yet to run into someone on the street with a McGizmo clipped to their pocket. The "exclusivity" is still there, just not as tough to obtain one if you're so inclined. The rush and excitement of the limited number waves was fun, but I'm sure it was as much a business decision on Don's part as anything else to have the current offerings take the path they have. Price gouging sucks, but nobody makes you buy them.
    I was thinking of making both those points as well, but I figured I'd be shouted down again. Thanks for posting them, I think you're right on.

I was thinking of making both those points as well, but I figured I'd be shouted down again. Thanks for posting them, I think you're right on.
    I don't think anyone has shouted you down, this thread looks to be a very civil conversation IMO.

The original PD was a long running item...before it morphed into the PD-S. At that time it was the Ti lights that waved in and sold out. I liked both sale methods and was so stoked to score an XR-19 PD right from Don. Kinda wish I still had that one. It was a luck shot just to get it anyway because when I happened on the sale thread the Clicky was already sold out. I also enjoyed getting my LS 20's in the Oct 2008 wave. I spent a lot of time hawking this site to assure I'd get in on those 'cause you never knew how long they'd be available. They ended up taking a while to sell out anyway. Not sure I could repeat that move today.

I believe my first wave score, was an XR-19C.

Lets not forget the economy sucking a$$ too, $400 flashlights are some of the first things to go or bypass when hard times hit....

Seems all of Don's "instant sell out" waves were before the housing market crash.
    -PSM

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    Lets not forget the economy sucking a$$ too, $400 flashlights are some of the first things to go or bypass when hard times hit....

Seems all of Don's "instant sell out" waves were before the housing market crash.

I think it's just offered qty, there is a never ending supply now. Before, as you well know, the waves were limited to 20 or so. If there was a new offering tomorrow, and I mean new, not a Haiku with an updated emitter, it would still sell out a old skool wave without a problem.

The Quality and functionality are all the exclusivity I need. I'm happy it's not a hassle anymore to get these fantastic lights. Makes me more willing to really use it, not worrying how I will replace it, they are expensive, but at least I know I can easily get another one.

A McGizmo is going to be exclusive regardless of how many are available. Even if Don had a warehouse full of them, at $400-500 apiece they would sell about as fast as they do right now. The price point makes them exclusive regardless of available supply; intentionally restricting the supply is the artificially-enforced exclusivity I was referring to in my first post, and aside from producing a nice high if you manage to score one, there is no benefit to it.

I did hover around my computer nervously anticipating the final wave of LS20s, and again during the auction when I got my PD-S, and again when the Cool Fall Tri-V went on sale. I didn't derive any enjoyment from it at all.

Something as well-built as a McGizmo ought to be as un-exclusive as possible. The world needs more quality goods that can outlast their owners.

Well Dave still offers limited qty Waves (although his are not called waves). Most recently was the Spy007 XML - I'd still love to get my hands on one of them. And, the Tri-V2 will be coming very soon and that will be a sure seller.

Here's a small thought - does a limited wave of lights generate more sales than an ongoing wave does? If Don were to come up with a new light that was $500 and we were told that there were only to be 50 of them ever made, many would clamor to buy them all in one quick shot. But, promote the same light as a general production light and it loses a bit of the glamor and may never sell 50.

I'm not saying this to promote an argument, just as an alternate way of looking at things.

I prefer that when my hard earned money is spent on an expensive light that it have a bit of exclusivity to it.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post

Something as well-built as a McGizmo ought to be as un-exclusive as possible. The world needs more quality goods that can outlast their owners.
    I think you are playing against the rules of supply and demand. The cost is kept higher because the demand is low, but the demand is low because the price is high. There is no reason a Haiku has to cost $435. If it were mass produced it could be pumped out for under $200 - but then it would just be another mass produced item. It wouldn't be hand built, it wouldn't have the personal customization that Don is known for and frankly it wouldn't be that exclusive.

You just can't have it both ways. For something to be exclusive quantities have to be low and price high; otherwise, the item is mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond View Post
    I think you are playing against the rules of supply and demand. The cost is kept higher because the demand is low, but the demand is low because the price is high. There is no reason a Haiku has to cost $435. If it were mass produced it could be pumped out for under $200 - but then it would just be another mass produced item. It wouldn't be hand built, it wouldn't have the personal customization that Don is known for and frankly it wouldn't be that exclusive.

You just can't have it both ways. For something to be exclusive quantities have to be low and price high; otherwise, the item is mainstream.
    I never said it should be mass-produced at lower cost. Rather, I think the product shouldn't be impossible to buy most of the time, which was the case with the limited-quantity waves. With the "standing wave" concept, orders can be placed whenever the buyer has the money available, and the product can be sold at a steady rate instead of a large burst, which is lower stress for both buyer and seller. With "standing waves", the product is available with the same quality, but at a time that is convenient for both the buyer and the seller instead of just being convenient for the seller; that is what I meant by "as un-exclusive as possible".
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 07-23-2012 at 01:19 PM.

I know you didn't say that. I was going very opposite end of the spectrum on the point of the thread.

Also - I need to correct my statement about the law of Supply and Demand - I sorta had it only partway. The demand is high but the supply is low so they command a higher price. To meet the point of the original post we would have to hit a point on the graph where both the demand was high and the supply was high to command a lower price.

I do wish sometimes that some lights were more accessible and more available, but that will also just make the "chase" that much more exciting for me. Sometimes the thrill of searching for and finding and obscure light is more exciting that actually owning it. I've seen the word "unobtanum" in a few sales threads before and it really brought the point home.

As we all know though the dialogue of this thread doesn't just apply to flashlights. It applies to cars, home theater equipment, art and so many other things in life.

Quote Originally Posted by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond View Post
    I do wish sometimes that some lights were more accessible and more available, but that will also just make the "chase" that much more exciting for me. Sometimes the thrill of searching for and finding and obscure light is more exciting that actually owning it.
    That right there is a fact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast