• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

I miss the McGizmo limited qty Waves...

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I loved the rush, repeatedly hitting refresh...hoping to score one of the offerings.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still recall the anguish when I missed one of the final Ti PD-S waves, but managed to snag one down the road on BST. The waves were/are a fun way to capture McGizmo torches!

-Mayo

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still recall the anguish when I missed one of the final Ti PD-S waves, but managed to snag one down the road on BST. The waves were/are a fun way to capture McGizmo torches!

-Mayo

Nothing seems very limited anymore, pretty much everything looks to be in stock these days.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose if artificially-enforced exclusivity and sleepless nights are important to you, then the limited-quantity waves would have a lot of appeal.

Never said it was important, but it certainly had it's own appeal. Should I assume you were above hawking over your computer, in hopes of snagging a Ti PD-S when the wave hit? And it wasn't "artificially-enforced exclusivity", it was true exclusivity...the numbers were truly limited.

nbp

Flashaholic
I get quite enough anguish trying to score Atwood tools in much the same fashion. I was very pleased that when I wanted my Haiku, I could just order it. There is an excitement to the random limited sale, but man, when you miss out it's the pits. And you can bet the people who got 'em are probably gonna soak you on the secondary market because they were able to get one and you didn't. That kind of behavior is what makes it particularly bad IMO. 2-300% price jumps suck.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get quite enough anguish trying to score Atwood tools in much the same fashion. I was very pleased that when I wanted my Haiku, I could just order it. There is an excitement to the random limited sale, but man, when you miss out it's the pits. And you can bet the people who got 'em are probably gonna soak you on the secondary market because they were able to get one and you didn't. That kind of behavior is what makes it particularly bad IMO. 2-300% price jumps suck.

Many Atwood collectors are no better, crazy prices for those little bits.

nbp

Flashaholic
Many Atwood collectors are no better, crazy prices for those little bits.

Right you are! That's why I play the game and watch the blog and try to score them (only occasionally successfully) from Peter. Because I'm not paying $200 for a Keyton. :shakehead: But it sure would be nice if I could pick up an item later on without getting gouged.

But that is, as I see it, one of the downsides of very limited items.

I think the most fun thing would be to have the standing waves of lights that are available anytime, and then here and there a smattering of "special" lights sold in a first come first serve sale. Maybe they could be unusual emitter prototypes, different metal textures, anodized, etc. That could add the excitement factor, while still keeping lights available to people who just want to buy one today.

shado

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the most fun thing would be to have the standing waves of lights that are available anytime, and then here and there a smattering of "special" lights sold in a first come first serve sale. Maybe they could be unusual emitter prototypes, different metal textures, anodized, etc. That could add the excitement factor, while still keeping lights available to people who just want to buy one today.

Similar to what Mac does, I like it :twothumbs

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
A standing wave is nothing more than a production light IMO, it's exciting to have opportunities to score items not many others have. Rarity is what creates buzz, constant availability is bland.

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Readily available items are no fun...its a scalper's worst nightmare! There's just no way to snatch one then immediately offer them in BST for 3x the price...bad bad news! :whistle:

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Readily available items are no fun...its a scalper's worst nightmare! There's just no way to snatch one then immediately offer them in BST for 3x the price...bad bad news! :whistle:

I couldn't agree more...After all, I'm in this game to lose money, aren't you?

nbp

Flashaholic
F250XLT said:
A standing wave is nothing more than a production light IMO, it's exciting to have opportunities to score items not many others have. Rarity is what creates buzz, constant availability is bland.

Ok, so they're luxury production lights. Does that make them any less fantastic?

No it doesn't.

It just makes them less desireable to people whose only objective is to have something other people don't have.

I buy flashlights because I like them and want to use them. I guess the fact that a bunch of other people have Haikus doesn't make me like it less. I still use it every single day and think it's super. :shrug:

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not saying the current lights are less fantastic, you (and others) are missing my point. I'm not talking about the lights themselves, I'm merely commenting on how Don used to go about selling his lights...that's it.

persco

Enlightened
Not saying the current lights are less fantastic, you (and others) are missing my point. I'm not talking about the lights themselves, I'm merely commenting on how Don used to go about selling his lights...that's it.

And I'm glad he doesn't do it this way anymore. I dislike the exclusivity fetish. I love good quality things, and when I want one, I want to be able to buy it now. I wish Peter would find a way to produce more of his items, more regularly. There's such a gouging culture surrounding his tools.

scout24

Flashaholic
Let's all be honest for a minute as to how many $400+ dollar Titanium lights there are out in the general population. No matter how they are offered, I've yet to run into someone on the street with a McGizmo clipped to their pocket. The "exclusivity" is still there, just not as tough to obtain one if you're so inclined. The rush and excitement of the limited number waves was fun, but I'm sure it was as much a business decision on Don's part as anything else to have the current offerings take the path they have. Price gouging sucks, but nobody makes you buy them. :)

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Let's all be honest for a minute as to how many $400+ dollar Titanium lights there are out in the general population. No matter how they are offered, I've yet to run into someone on the street with a McGizmo clipped to their pocket. The "exclusivity" is still there, just not as tough to obtain one if you're so inclined. The rush and excitement of the limited number waves was fun, but I'm sure it was as much a business decision on Don's part as anything else to have the current offerings take the path they have. Price gouging sucks, but nobody makes you buy them. :)

I was thinking of making both those points as well, but I figured I'd be shouted down again. Thanks for posting them, I think you're right on.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking of making both those points as well, but I figured I'd be shouted down again. Thanks for posting them, I think you're right on.

I don't think anyone has shouted you down, this thread looks to be a very civil conversation IMO.

Roccomo

Enlightened
The original PD was a long running item...before it morphed into the PD-S. At that time it was the Ti lights that waved in and sold out. I liked both sale methods and was so stoked to score an XR-19 PD right from Don. Kinda wish I still had that one. It was a luck shot just to get it anyway because when I happened on the sale thread the Clicky was already sold out. I also enjoyed getting my LS 20's in the Oct 2008 wave. I spent a lot of time hawking this site to assure I'd get in on those 'cause you never knew how long they'd be available. They ended up taking a while to sell out anyway. Not sure I could repeat that move today.