Alternatives to Preon Revo?

jruser

Newly Enlightened
I currently carry two lights, a Quark Mini AA and a Preon Revo SS (NW). I am wanting to swap the Mini AA for something smaller. Ideally I would like a second Preon Revo, but they are discontinued. Is there anything that meets this criteria:

- Smaller than Mini AA
- Current regulated (No PWM)
- At least 2 brightness levels
- No magnets
- L-M-H brightness sequence (or L-H for two modes)
- Single cell AAA, AA, CR123, or CR2
- Attachment point for small split ring. (this will be used with a lobster claw and attached to key chain)

At this point, I have come up with the DQG III. I am wondering what other options are out there that i am missing.

Last edited:

Raven-burg

Newly Enlightened
I currently carry two lights, a Quark Mini AA and a Preon Revo SS (NW). I am wanting to swap the Mini AA for something smaller. Ideally I would like a second Preon Revo, but they are discontinued. Is there anything that meets this criteria:

- Smaller than Mini AA
- Current regulated (No PWM)
- At least 2 brightness levels
- No magnets
- L-M-H brightness sequence (or L-H for two modes)
- Single cell AAA, AA, CR123, or CR2
- Attachment point for small split ring. (this will be used with a lobster claw and attached to key chain)

At this point, I have come up with the DQG III. I am wondering what other options are out there that i am missing.

Hi, I would recommend any of the AAA Klarus lights. I have the Mi10 in stainless which basically is the revo. These might be difficult to get now as the Mi X6 is out. You can also get the Mi X6 in titanium too.
it checks all the items on your want list I would say.
Happy shopping

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm sorry I missed out on the Revo, too. You might want to consider the Thrunite Ti for a simple two level light.

Geoff

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Just one more suggestion I'd like to add.

Have a look at the Klarus Mi X5. It's much smaller that any AAA light, puts out around 75 lumens and is a great keychain light. When I first got mine, I got a little worried about availability of batteries as it's not a common format, but ebay is your friend. I have since found another much cheaper source also. Just get a Duracell 9V battery, pull it apart, and you have 6 x AAAA batteries ready to use!.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klauras and there is a new Nitecore that is very similar to the Revo.

jruser

Newly Enlightened
Looking at the Klarus Mi x5 and x6, these are M-L-H from my prior searching, which is why I excluded them. The Mi10 seems to be L-M-H but seems to no longer be available at any of the usual e-tailers.

I was unaware of the Nitecore offering, but I have now looked at it. It is apparently H-M-L. I find this choice really baffling.

jcalvert

Enlightened
I was unaware of the Nitecore offering, but I have now looked at it. It is apparently H-M-L. I find this choice really baffling.

Although the "Brightness & Runtime" table in the user manuals for both of Nitecore's AAA, multi-mode offerings, the T5 and T2, lists the brightness levels in descending order from the highest output mode, so does the "Brightness & Runtime" table in the user manuals for the Explorer Series. However, the actual mode sequence for the Explorer Series begins at the lowest mode and ascends, just as the "Brightness Selection" instructions describe in the user manual.

However, in reviewing the "Functions Selection" in the user manuals for the T5 and T2, I find the instructions to be ambiguous. Since I agree with your sentiment regarding the H-M-L mode selection sequence, I would bet that the mode sequence for the T5 and T2 is actually consistent with both the Explorer series and pretty much every AAA, multi-mode, twisty UI I've ever reviewed or used, including both the Foursevens Preon Revo series and similar Klarus Mi10 series.

So unless someone that has either a T5 or T2 chimes in to offer clarity, contacting a Nitecore dealer is in order. Since the T5 and T2 are very similar in style and likely function to the SS Revo and aluminum Revo (respectively), these two Nitecore AAA lights may be wonderful replacements for the discontinued Revo series and apparently the Klarus Mi10 series.

jcalvert

Enlightened
Nice find, but unfortunate to see that it is H-M-L. The search continues...

Edit:
Going Gear still has plenty of Klarus Mi10s in stock.

I forgot about the Olight i3 EOS. Does it use CC or PMW?

Last edited:

jruser

Newly Enlightened
Good catch on the Mi10 at Going Gear. I don't know how I missed it earlier.

All of the Maratec/ITP/Olight AAA lights use PWM as far as I have seen.

I have been considering an Eagletac D25C Mini or Clicky as well. The Mini would be shorter than my Preon Revo at the expense of diamaeter, while the Clicky would be between the Revo and MiniAA in length. The thought of neutral, clicky, and brightness seems very tempting. Not sure if I want to go with the extra diameter or start buying primary batteries however.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mi10 seems to be L-M-H but seems to no longer be available at any of the usual e-tailers.
hi, the Mi10 (aluminum) is still available for 34.19$ shipped (incl 10% discount coupon code) from Dinodirect, enter search term < klarus > and you will find it SKU: A1757000BX. It is in stock and readily available, I have asked customer service thru their chat system.

It was only 29.95$ on WiseGuyGear when it got sold out there.

Last edited:

jruser

Newly Enlightened
I ended up ordering the Mi10 aluminum. I needed to get my order up to $50 to get free shipping so I got the Preon P0 with it. The P0 will not see any keychain time due to the magnet. There is simply too much stuff in the pocket that it could stick to.

I thought about replacing the MiniAA with the D25A Mini since they are basically the same size. Then, I compared the OTF/runtime ratings from the D25A Mini with the tested OTF/runtime from the Mi10. They are very close to each other in both output and runtime. The D25A Mini probably comes out on top, but considering the light was much larger with 2.5 times battery capacity, the Mi10 won out. I simply do not understand how the Preon Revo/Mi10 get the output/runtime from an AAA. The smaller AA lights seem to beat it only slightly.

I still would like to get a DQG III but I decided to go with the Mi10 since it is a known quantity to me (since i already have the Revo). I was ultimately too impatient to wait on overseas shipping for the DQG III.

Last edited:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The smaller AA lights seem to beat it only slightly.

I still would like to get a DQG III but I decided to go with the Mi10 since it is a known quantity to me (since i already have the Revo).
Afaik the Mi10 and MiX6 have the same driver. I have the MiX6 and it is a long running with stabilized brightness, rather dim light; after the first 3mins steps down from 85lm to ~60lm. From selfbuilt's graphs the Revo and Mi's perform about the same.

D25A mini review by mev. she measured 147 lumens with stepdown to 102lm.

That's not a lot brighter than AAA lights, true ;)

jruser

Newly Enlightened
D25A mini review by mev. she measured 147 lumens with stepdown to 102lm.

I hadn't seen that D25A Mini review. Going by those results, it makes me want to get it. A few things came to mind though:
- The review mentions PWM is on the lower levels. I am not sure if this is true though. The eagletac site clearly says the Mini series is current regulated on all levels. Also that runtime graph in the review for the medium mode shows perfectly flat regulation.
- The titanium version in that review uses an XM-L, while I was considering getting the aluminum which only comes with XP-G. The XP-G comes with a step down in lumens. On top of that, I was thinking about getting the neutral version (R4) which would be another step down from the cool (S2).
- The review shows 1 hour longer runtime on turbo than eagle tac spec. Review shows 2.25 hours, spec is 1.2. Brightness after the stepdown was more or less at spec.
- The review shows much higher brightness on medium than spec, 75 lumens vs spec of 29 lumens. Runtime hits the spec.
- The review shows higher brightness brightness on low as well. 12 lumens vs spec of 3 lumens.

I'm so confused.

jruser

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I got in the Klarus Mi10 in today from GoingGear and the light has significant revisions. The first version was this: http://www.klaruslightusa.com/index-35.html which is the current version that is listed on the USA Klarus site and is the same version that was widely reviewed when it released. The new version however is this: http://www.klaruslight.com/plist_show.php?id=41&lge=en

Differences:
1. LED: Old XP-E, New XP-G
2. Sequence: Old L/M/H, New M/L/H
3. Alternate modes: Old none, New Strobe (strobe is not hidden and comes directly after high)
4. Physical: Old has the finger grips on the body, new doesn't

Basically, this new light is useless for me because of the M/L/H. The addition of the unhidden strobe mode is really annoying as well. I blame Klarus for more or less changing everything about the light, not changing the model number, and having the old specs on their USA site. I doubt I will buy any more Klarus models. GoingGear correctly listed the XP-G, but still lists the L/M/H sequence with no mention of the strobe. When I ordered, I noticed that the XP-G was different from the reviews, but based on the rest of the specs I thought it was a simple LED upgrade.

--------------------------

EDIT: Regarding the Preon P0 that I ordered, I actually received a defect. The magnet on my model is useless. It doesn't stick to anything. This is actually a benefit for me because I didn't want the magnet sticking to anything in my pocket. I doubt I will carry the light on a regular basis, as I don't find the beam to be all that practical for the tasks I do. I do like the light quite well though, and with the faulty magnet I may occasionally carry it.

---------------------------

EDIT again: I guess back to the original topic, the DQG III appears to be the only AAA light in current production that is L/M/H with no PWM modes. The overseas shipping, build quality, and lack of reviews with runtime/brightness graphs will probably keep me from ever getting it. Still thinking about switching my MiniAA for the D25A Mini as a result of this futile effort.

Last edited:

Photon

Newly Enlightened
I just got a Klarus Mi10 because I thought the lighting sequence was L-M-H. Turns out it is M-L-H like the other Klarus AAA lights. I was somewhat disappointed. If anyone wants it, I'll sell it at a very reasonable price.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
my personal advice is:

1) return the Mi10 for a full refund. it's superseded by MiX6 (Au/SS/Ti) anyway! That's why WiseGuysGear dont have it in stock anymore and sold their last copies for 29.95$. Basically you made a mistake with the Mi10 purchase imho. leave it on for 5mins on Hi, and you'll realize how dim it is after the automatic stepdown, given the current state of technology (XM-L U2, see Balder HD-1 U2, Xeno XM-L U2, Eagletac D25 U2). i mean, i could name you much brighter AAA lights .. but their runtime on these pocket rockets is 1/2 hour on Hi-mode ;)

2) order a copy of D25A (Clicky or mini model), and check their LED options. they come in CW and NW, and are binned XP-G R4/R5/S2, XM-L T5/T6/U2, XT-E (...). test it. if you are not happy with it, return it for a full refund.

3) if you are happy with the P0 preon, then fine. the DQG III is 2-mode, comes in CW and NW, SS and Ti. many are happy with it. i'd question its price.