Brightest LED that uses AA?

videoexpert

Newly Enlightened
I'm not an expert on flashlights and thought i'd ask you experts:
What LED flashlight uses AA batteries, lasts more then 8 hours, is very bright (more then 200 lumens), and is not expensive?

I purchased a LED headlamp that is 200 lumens and runs on 4 AA and lasts 75 hours, but I can't seem to find a LED flashlight that runs on AA that lasts more then 8 hours and its brighter then 200 lumens... Thanks for the help.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming 75 hrs can at a lower lumen level (no light will run eight hours at 200 lumens continuously) then you should look at Zebralights. I think they're about the only lights that claim to hit 200 on a single AA.

videoexpert

Newly Enlightened
Assuming 75 hrs can at a lower lumen level (no light will run eight hours at 200 lumens continuously) then you should look at Zebralights. I think they're about the only lights that claim to hit 200 on a single AA.

Sorry I should have clarified, I'm not looking for a single AA but any flashlight that uses multiple AA's. It is possible for 200 lomens 75 hours, The black diamond icon is headlamp that can do it but I'm trying to find a flash light that can do it.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm absolutely certain that no light at all - AA or otherwise will run 200 lumen for 75 hours. The technology does not exist. Batteries hold insufficient amps and emitters are too inefficient. Maybe in ten years time.

My Fenix TK45 torch states on the pack that it will run 325 lumen for 6.5 hours on 8 AA or 95 lumen for 22 hours and even run 8 lumen for 232 hours, but I can't think of a light that will hold 200 for 75. I wouldn't bet that these statistics are correct out here in the real world.

The Black Diamond Icon will run at 200 lumens for a time before getting dimmer and dimmer as the cells are depleted - It may still be outputting light up to 75 hours into the run, but it certainly won't be anywhere near 200 lumen. Manufacturers and their pack claims are always a tad 'optimistic'. If this is wrong and the Icon does live up to its claims, then I will be the very first in the queue to buy a boxful!

I hope we find a light capable of what you seek, with all the knowledge here. Good luck!

Ezeriel

Enlightened
I think the OP made a type-o

maybe 20 lumens for 75 hours..

or 200 for 7.5.. I could believe a non-regulated light claiming that.

anyway.. I think the TK41 is the brightest AA light today at 860 ansi lumens

365 for 7 hours 43 minutes; 120 for 27 hours

TweakMDS

Enlightened
I don't think that the Black Diamond Icon headlamp measures it's output in ANSI lumens, but 200 lumens for 6 - 8 hours should be feasible on 4xAA. 75 hours on a reasonable amount of AA batteries (like 6 max) at 200 lumens is obviously either a typo or a misinterpretation of runtime on low mode and max output.
The Sunwayman M-series lights are quite efficient on medium and high modes, and the 40A has 6 hours at 200 lumens in it's specs. Considering Zebralight's track record for efficiency, I have no doubts that the upcoming Q50 will reach 8 hours on a 200 lumens mode.

@OP: if I may ask, do you have a certain application in mind for a product like this? We can probably be more helpful in answering you if we know what it is you are looking for...

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry I should have clarified, I'm not looking for a single AA but any flashlight that uses multiple AA's. It is possible for 200 lomens 75 hours, The black diamond icon is headlamp that can do it but I'm trying to find a flash light that can do it.
Take a look at the Icon on Black Diamond's own website (I'm not allowed to link on this forum), click on "more tech info." In the bottom left there's a chart that shows by 0:30 - the lights at 80%; 10:00 - @ 35%; 30:00 - @ 16%....

I have several BD (and Petzls) headlamps and lanterns - I think they're garbage.

videoexpert

Newly Enlightened
@OP: if I may ask, do you have a certain application in mind for a product like this? We can probably be more helpful in answering you if we know what it is you are looking for...

Great question, I am about to become a volunteer for Search and Rescue. I am looking for something bright to easy spot a missing person, down aircraft, etc, and also could last during all dark hours of the night. I do have a small solar power that clips on my bag and can charge AA's or AAA's during the day. I plan to pack light to make it easier to cover longer distances.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Great question, I am about to become a volunteer for Search and Rescue. I am looking for something bright to easy spot a missing person, down aircraft, etc, and also could last during all dark hours of the night. I do have a small solar power that clips on my bag and can charge AA's or AAA's during the day. I plan to pack light to make it easier to cover longer distances.

Alright, that gives some more direction to what we're looking for. I'd either look at 2 x AA throwers with a one-handed UI (not that many), or 3-4xAA lights (will usually throw more due to being bigger).

Let me counter this: would you rather have a 4xAA light that lasts 6 hours on 200 lumens, or a 2xAA light that lasts 3 hours on 200 lumens?
Keep in mind, you'd have to carry a set of batteries anyway. For search and rescue, the NiteCore EA2 could be nice. Runtime isn't anywhere near what you asked, but it has a really nice throw to it, and nice UI.

Another multi-aa light to consider is the Olight S35. Compact and packs a punch in throw. It does use 3xAA though, which is odd since they come in sets of 4 and you should NEVER mix usage on batteries.
I always tell people to mark their batteries and use one AA for single AA lights (backup light in your case) and the set of 3 for the 3xAA light. They also have the 6xAA but that seems to become heavy.

Alternatively, the new Fenix lights with 4 batteries are quite nice; LD41 and E40.

Bigpal

Enlightened
You could also look into the Jetbeam PA40, which will give you 220 lumens for 6 hours and you can kick it up to 468 for 2h 20min. And it will last way beyond 8 hours on mid and low. I don't know how high you're willing to go - that's about $75.

But, honestly, for search and rescue - +1 for TK41. Can't go wrong there and the extra $$ is well worth it.

Last edited:

moozooh

Enlightened
For search & rescue you're much better off with 18650-based lights, not AA. AA is a convenience cell, 18650 is a performance cell; since your missions would hardly last more than a few hours at a time you only need to carry one, at most two additional sets of cells. With AAs you'll be burning through them on high and turbo settings like there's no tomorrow.

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
But, honestly, for search and rescue - +1 for TK41. Can't go wrong there and the extra $$ is well worth it.

Couldn't agree more. I use my TK41 as a search light. It's perfection for it's battery type and price point. Usually I can spot whatever I need. Size of an object and vision abilities are more of an issue than having the light to see it.

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
Looked up OP's headlamp. They definitely claim the 75 hrs in numerous places. I think an engineer/tech wrote 7.5, which was mis-interperted to "75". 75 hrs at 200 Lumens or 4 lumens at 175 hrs does NOT sound right at all to me.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ see post #7.... non regulated, non-ANSI runtimes. I would guess that the last third or so of the quoted runtimes, at either level, would probably be more like a moonlight level. All my BD and Petzl stuff sucked batts down like crazy.