Storacell
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fenix LD41 Review - 4 AA - XM-L

Default Re: Fenix LD41 Review - 4 AA - XM-L

I understand.

Actually -- i was asking *anybody* !

(wink)

BTW --

Wonder if there will be a Neutral-White version of this soon.

Kinda' been spoiled by N-W tint, and really don't wanna' purchase any more Cool-Whites.

_

Flashaholic

I have Energizer L91 primaries installed in my LD41 and it appears to function properly in all modes. I went with lithium primaries because my LD41 will be stored mostly for emergency use.

Also, aa only stated in post #50 that "my light is not stable in a tail stand." Mine wobbles too...and for the same reason aa only cited. Switching out the rubber switch-boot with the supplied spare did not solve the issue. I don't remember Fenix advertising that their LD41 will tail-stand, but mine certianly could...if the on/off/mode switch-boot didn't protrude quite so much.

The beam produced by my LD41 is so much better than what it replaced...my discontinued 6-AA Eveready D820 (series-in-parallel) Double Barrel that produces only 60 lumes from its Xenon lamp in an unfocused mess. This is my first Fenix flashlight.
    Last edited by bluebonnet; 08-06-2012 at 05:26 AM.

Why does the Ld41(5lumens-160h) have such lower runtime on low compared to the Ld40(4lumens-245h) on the Fenix website?
    We mostly come out at night...mostly

Quote Originally Posted by igoman View Post
    Why does the Ld41(5lumens-160h) have such lower runtime on low compared to the Ld40(4lumens-245h) on the Fenix website?
    XP-G is more efficient than XM-L at lower levels.

For example, compare the Quark AAx2 XP-G vs. the Quark "X" AAx2 XM-L, and you'll see a huge difference in favor of the XP-G at the lower levels.

Thank you, didn't know that. I just ordered the ligth. I hope I like it as I like the LD40.
    We mostly come out at night...mostly

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post
    I understand.

Actually -- i was asking *anybody* !

(wink)

BTW --

Wonder if there will be a Neutral-White version of this soon.

Kinda' been spoiled by N-W tint, and really don't wanna' purchase any more Cool-Whites.

_
    I totally know how you feel, I like NW myself, yet, I only have my TK20 however, it's strange, because there are many that like it and dislike it at the same time LOL. I remember a thread back then of best and worst purchases, and many said they hated the TK20 and many said they loved the TK20

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by UpstandingCitizen View Post
    XP-G is more efficient than XM-L at lower levels.

For example, compare the Quark AAx2 XP-G vs. the Quark "X" AAx2 XM-L, and you'll see a huge difference in favor of the XP-G at the lower levels.
    Thanks a lot for that explanation UC

Rolleye11 Re: Fenix LD41 Review - 4 AA - XM-L

I like NW as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cindy0212 View Post
    I like NW as well.
    Cool, and welcome to CPF!

Cheers

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by firelord777 View Post
    Cool, and welcome to CPF!

Cheers
    Didn't you mean: Neutral, and welcome to CPF?

Yes, welcome cindy0212!
    Wanted: Surefire G2 in tan. Tip me!

My collection Photos of my lights

LOL...

Flashaholic

WEll,,, I got my LD41 in today. Its a little larger than I expected. It has a soft even hot spot with a nice color on high.
    Still like the XML T-6 TK41 the color looks angry on low settings. That don't bother me and its not really noticeable outdoors.

Brightness is visually about equal to my BC-25 650 lumens except for a slightly larger hot spot. All in all , I like it pretty good.

Oh , yea btw the blinky modes are hidden so I like that too.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard on it.
    Fenix TK-60 TK-41, Olight M-30 Crelant 7g5 U2, Kobalt 500, Fenix LD41
    Coast H7 Eagletac G25C2 , Jetbeam BC-25 and 5.11 Atac PLx , plus several Ultrafire toys.

Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    WEll,,, I got my LD41 in today. Its a little larger than I expected. It has a soft even hot spot with a nice color on high.
    Still like the XML T-6 TK41 the color looks angry on low settings. That don't bother me and its not really noticeable outdoors.

Brightness is visually about equal to my BC-25 650 lumens except for a slightly larger hot spot. All in all , I like it pretty good.

Oh , yea btw the blinky modes are hidden so I like that too.
    Glad you liked it, and thanks for sharing

Cheers

Nice review...I've be researching all the 4AA options and this one looks like it takes the cake. I considered the PA40 a while back, but I didn't like the UI. Glad to see Fenix's UI paired with a AA XML.

Flashaholic

Thanks for the great reviews. I will be looking forward to see how you like the light after having it a while, and also some outside beamshots.

Thanks guys

I'm actually moving possibly in a few weeks, here where I live, it's virtually impossible to either get a good dark place without people So I'll update you guys in a few days, and I'll try and get outdoor shots soon

Actually took my LD41 night fishing for the first time last Friday after receiving it last week. It performed great, way above my expectations. The guys fishing the same spot were blown away by the brightness and kept saying, "we shoulda got one of THOSE man!"

Sweet review...I liked what it is after your review and another, but couldn't justify the $$ right now. I did get in on this sweet deal in the mail Saturday and I'm happy w/ my PA40 (can't find it at $54 anywhere else): http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ht_2952wt_1190
    Last edited by ntg; 08-20-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drift Monkey View Post
    Actually took my LD41 night fishing for the first time last Friday after receiving it last week. It performed great, way above my expectations. The guys fishing the same spot were blown away by the brightness and kept saying, "we shoulda got one of THOSE man!"

LOL! Glad you liked it That's kind of what people's faces tell me when I use it too

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ntg View Post
    Sweet review...I liked what it is after your review and another, but couldn't justify the $$ right now. I did get in on this sweet deal in the mail Saturday and I'm happy w/ my PA40 (can't find it at $54 anywhere else): http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ht_2952wt_1190
    Thank you, and well, that was a good deal you got

Cheers

I finally received my ld41. While i love it, i was a bit disappointed in a few minor things. Yes, they are minor, but it still bothered me. Firstly, my LED is not centered (my jetbeam pa40 was perfect). Secondly, The springs in the battery holder on one side was bent so everytime the batteries were inserted, the spring compressed awkwardly and wasn't making full contact with the battery butt (will this cause longterm problems?). Thirdly, the amount of pressure required to activate the momentary was close to when it fully clicked on. Fourthly (though i may have just gotten a bad one) came with the outer anodizing chipped in one corner.

Asides, from these minor things, the light is very good. I like the UI more than the PA40. It can tailstand. It's shorter (though by only a couple of hairs). It's brighter (at least i feel that). All in all, for the price, it was a good buy.

That was a useful review, thanks, I am very interested in the light, so every bit of information helps.

InquisitiveInquirer, it sounds like you got a bad one or possibly one that was demo'd/played with beforehand. The (2) I got were both in excellent shape and had no issues I could find. Now those (2) may be the aberrational specimens while yours is the norm however I doubt it

Contact the seller or Fenix themselves and tell them what you are experiencing and I am sure that it will be taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by Jida View Post
    InquisitiveInquirer, it sounds like you got a bad one or possibly one that was demo'd/played with beforehand. The (2) I got were both in excellent shape and had no issues I could find. Now those (2) may be the aberrational specimens while yours is the norm however I doubt it

Contact the seller or Fenix themselves and tell them what you are experiencing and I am sure that it will be taken care of.
    Well, i can live with the chip in anodizing and the off-centered led, but i'm just curious if the bent spring will brake in the long run as it's being compressed awkwardly when the batteries are in there. I'd send it back for repairs, but i'd have to absorb the shipping cost to hong kong or china, which i think would be expensive...

After searching high and low for a solution I made a diffuser for the LD41 from a $1 bottle of juice sold at most mini-marts/grocery stores. After a tiny bit of shaving around the inside of the bottle's neck it fits the LD41 perfectly!! The narrow part of the bottle grabs a lot of light and sends it outward. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Flashaholic

I doubt that the spring will break but I can see the annoyance of having to fiddle with lining everything up just so-so.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard on it.
    Fenix TK-60 TK-41, Olight M-30 Crelant 7g5 U2, Kobalt 500, Fenix LD41
    Coast H7 Eagletac G25C2 , Jetbeam BC-25 and 5.11 Atac PLx , plus several Ultrafire toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogazoo View Post
    After searching high and low for a solution I made a diffuser for the LD41 from a $1 bottle of juice sold at most mini-marts/grocery stores. After a tiny bit of shaving around the inside of the bottle's neck it fits the LD41 perfectly!! The narrow part of the bottle grabs a lot of light and sends it outward. Necessity is the mother of invention.
    Genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogazoo View Post

You're one smart guy man

Quote Originally Posted by InquisitiveInquirer View Post
    I finally received my ld41. While i love it, i was a bit disappointed in a few minor things. Yes, they are minor, but it still bothered me. Firstly, my LED is not centered (my jetbeam pa40 was perfect). Secondly, The springs in the battery holder on one side was bent so everytime the batteries were inserted, the spring compressed awkwardly and wasn't making full contact with the battery butt (will this cause longterm problems?). Thirdly, the amount of pressure required to activate the momentary was close to when it fully clicked on. Fourthly (though i may have just gotten a bad one) came with the outer anodizing chipped in one corner.

Asides, from these minor things, the light is very good. I like the UI more than the PA40. It can tailstand. It's shorter (though by only a couple of hairs). It's brighter (at least i feel that). All in all, for the price, it was a good buy.
    Wow man, I'm sorry you weren't completely satisfied, especially seeing you're a really knowledgable person here.

Here is to hoping things work out

Unenlightened

Help Re: Fenix LD41 Review - 4 AA - XM-L

Quote Originally Posted by firelord777 View Post
    This is the third sample with crooked mounted LED which I saw. Two of them I held in my hands, and it gets me a lot of money. Is that chronic for LD41? Or is it a completing of sales prototypes as normal torchs?
    Last edited by Nerve; 09-18-2012 at 09:04 AM.