Had any problems with the Fenix TK switches? Update: Sent it back 7/27

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my new Fenix TK41 on Wednesday or Thursday evening, and its a big light, so I left it at home and only checked it out at night in my back yard for about 5-10 minutes each night for the next 3-4 nights.

There are 2 switches on the side of it up behind the head, and on the TK60, and maybe other TK series lights(?), one is on/off and the other switch right beside the on/off switch is for changing modes. The 1st night, the on/off switch might have failed to turn the light on maybe 1 or 2 times, and I had to push the switch a 2nd time to turn it on, but I've had the occasional minor switch issue with my SC600 too, but its rare, so I didnt see it as a big deal.

But it seemed to get worse, and by last night(night 3 or 4 since I bought it), it had gotten to the point where it wasnt working every other time I pressed it, and it was taking as many as 3 or 4 presses of the switch to get it to turn on. It often takes a few presses to turn it off too.

But the other switch that controls the modes never misses. It works every time. This is the first time I've had a real, ongoing problem with the switch on any light I have owned, aside from the cheap $2-$4 Chinese lights. This switch problem keeps getting worse, but last night was the 1st time its really gotten bad. It seems like if I keep it, it is just going to get worse, and I'm now second guessing whether I want to take the chance of swapping this for another TK41.

Even if the next TK41 doesnt have a switch problem, I dont like the 2 switch setup as much as I thought I would. In the dark, I often hit the wrong one, and end up shutting it off when I want to change modes, and vice/versa.

So I want to swap it for another light, and my current 2 choices are 2 very different lights: The Spark SL6S-800CW, or the Sunwayman T60CS. The downsides of each light are as follows: I already have several 1-18650 lights the size and performance of the Spark, but probably not the same beam profile, as mine are either total flood(SC600), or almost total throw(G25C2 and T20CS), and the Spark seems like a happy medium in beam profile(?). Plus, it costs less than the TK41, so I would get a little refund back when swapping.

But I dont have any light like the SWM T60CS(2100 Lumens). Its much brighter than every light I own by a long shot! So it wouldn't be yet another redundant light. But...It will cost about $70 more, because the TK41 cost $116 after the 10% off, and the T60Cs will be $185 after 10% off.

I already have batteries for either light, so thats not an issue. I have no really good idea about the beam profile of the T60CS. It seems to have wider, deeper reflectors than the Nitecore TM-11, so I assume it will throw a little better, but still be mostly a flood light. But I dont know for sure.

Has anyone had problems with Fenix TK series switches? Need some help here making this decision......... Which would YOU choose if you were in this same situation?:confused:

Thanks......

**Update: After having problems with it last Saturday/Sunday, the problem cleared up for a few days, and seemed OK, so I decided to keep it. Then yesterday(7/26/12) it started having problems with the on/off switch again, which continued this morning, so I shipped it back today. I actually grew to like th throw and modes of the light, etc., but I worry that the switch will get worse, so off it goes. Now I must once again try and decide on a replacement.

Last edited:

biglights

Enlightened
Re: Had any problems with the Fenix TK switches? Which light to swap it for?

I have the TK70 and TK41 and have not had any issues with either, but I have read were that has been a problem for others. On what you should trade it for that is up to you, but for the price of SWN you should take a look at the TN31, I just got it and absolutely love it. Small enough to carry around and throw that is just insane for its size. I use it way more than my TK70 now. Great "little" light, take a look.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have the TK70 and TK41 and have not had any issues with either, but I have read were that has been a problem for others. On what you should trade it for that is up to you, but for the price of SWN you should take a look at the TN31, I just got it and absolutely love it. Small enough to carry around and throw that is just insane for its size. I use it way more than my TK70 now. Great "little" light, take a look.

I'm glad you mentioned that, because I apparently had mistaken that light for another similar light, the Thrunite TN-30 that is known as the "king of flood", as it has 3 XM-L's in a shallow, thin reflector. I wanted something with a mix of flood and throw. I want something that has a fairly wide spill, and not too small of a hot spot, but not another pure flood light. The only thing I dont like about the TN-31, is that its a $229 light with 1147 lumens. The TN-30 is only like $10 more but has 2700 lumens, and runs on the same number of batteries as the TN-31. But its pure flood.....

How is the beam profile on the TN-31?

Up All Night

Enlightened

HighlanderNorth,
When I received my TK41 over a year ago it worked perfectly for my typical "play with it for several days" period. It then found its place in my collection of used less frequently. All of a sudden there were posts galore about switching problems, so I pulled mine out and sure as s#*t I was having issues as well.
"This makes no sense" I thought. To go from flawless to this is beyond logic. Then I realized, when I was having the switch problems the light just didn't feel the same in my hand as it had before. That was the problem. In my quasi-panicked state I was not hitting the power button square from the top but on a slight angle. I just rotated the light slightly to where my thumb came down squarely on the power button and haven't had a problem since! Having larger than average paws, I find any switch that is not on the tail of a light takes some getting used to. Give it a shot! Hit that button square on!

Good luck!

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

HighlanderNorth,
When I received my TK41 over a year ago it worked perfectly for my typical "play with it for several days" period. It then found its place in my collection of used less frequently. All of a sudden there were posts galore about switching problems, so I pulled mine out and sure as s#*t I was having issues as well.
"This makes no sense" I thought. To go from flawless to this is beyond logic. Then I realized, when I was having the switch problems the light just didn't feel the same in my hand as it had before. That was the problem. In my quasi-panicked state I was not hitting the power button square from the top but on a slight angle. I just rotated the light slightly to where my thumb came down squarely on the power button and haven't had a problem since! Having larger than average paws, I find any switch that is not on the tail of a light takes some getting used to. Give it a shot! Hit that button square on!

Good luck!

Yeah, I noticed that was a slight issue at first, and figured that it was probably the reason that the light wouldnt turn on the first day or two, but last night, and again just now, I was trying it out in my bedroom, and I could clearly see the switch as I was pushing it, and I am definitely pushing it straight on every time, from the middle, and the internal switch under the rubber boot is definitely clicking on and off, but the light isnt turning on or off half the time of more now. I have to click it repeatedly to get it to switch on or off 2 or 3 out of every 5 tries.

So there is definitely a problem...

biglights

Enlightened

I think the beam profile is nice, I have saw some lux readings that were close to 100k. Which would but you in the SR90 league. Plus half the size:thumbsup:

I feel that it has a good amount of flood with great throw.

I picked it up for under $180 shipped!! I think it is $219, then with the %10 discount you would be still be under $200.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the beam profile is nice, I have saw some lux readings that were close to 100k. Which would but you in the SR90 league. Plus half the size:thumbsup:

I feel that it has a good amount of flood with great throw.

I picked it up for under $180 shipped!! I think it is $219, then with the %10 discount you would be still be under $200.

For some reason, my flashplayer keeps crashing every time I try to watch any youtube video today, so I cant get on there to look at reviews of these lights right now, and I'm definitely interested in one of these few smaller, shorter high powered lights. The TK41 is BIG and heavy, but only puts out 800 lumens, and these other lights are smaller, shorter, probably lighter, yet put out much more lumens. The TK41 really doesnt seem to throw much farther than a few of the single 18650 lights I already have, which also put out near 800 lumens, but are much smaller. Plus the TK41's hot spot is tiny when you shine it on a wall! Thats how it gets its throw.

biglights

Enlightened

Check out HJK's review
http://lygte-info.dk/review/Beamshot%20large%205-2012%20UK.

Here is Selbuilt's
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...650)-RUNTIMES-VIDEO-THROW-BEAMSHOTS-and-more!

When you look at HJK's check out the lux compared to the TK41. His graph has some pretty good information comparing the two. You can get good comparison to your TK41 and the TN31. Almost double the throw. Very nice light...

Just found this one by Turbo
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?337747-ThruNite-TN31-Review-(XM-L-U2-3-x-18650)

Last edited:

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened

I had a TK41 with a bad switch. I had to return it for another one. When I got the new light the switch worked fine, issue free. The one I returned was temper mental. Sometimes it worked fine, sometimes it pretended I never pressed it. I tried all angles when it was acting up, the angle of "thumb to switch" made no difference on this light. I do see where that can cause problems though (as it has with me even on my good light) so I suggest you check that out too.

Up All Night

Enlightened

Yeah, I noticed that was a slight issue at first, and figured that it was probably the reason that the light wouldnt turn on the first day or two, but last night, and again just now, I was trying it out in my bedroom, and I could clearly see the switch as I was pushing it, and I am definitely pushing it straight on every time, from the middle, and the internal switch under the rubber boot is definitely clicking on and off, but the light isnt turning on or off half the time of more now. I have to click it repeatedly to get it to switch on or off 2 or 3 out of every 5 tries.

So there is definitely a problem...

Sorry to hear that. I even went as far as trying mine again before I posted a response as I didn't want to give any false hope. I know some had to return theirs but I thought that yours, being a recent acquisition would have had this "bug" corrected by Fenix.:shakehead
It's not like any of of us need to be prodded into looking at another torch!.....ahem, TN31, ahem...

If I could find someone selling the Thrunite in Canada I'm afraid resistance would be futile!

kj2

Flashaholic

My TK41 works perfectly :) -my TK70 does have a "bad" mode-switch. When I press it, it feels (very)soft and I hear no 'click'. It does function normal though.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry to hear that. I even went as far as trying mine again before I posted a response as I didn't want to give any false hope. I know some had to return theirs but I thought that yours, being a recent acquisition would have had this "bug" corrected by Fenix.:shakehead
It's not like any of of us need to be prodded into looking at another torch!.....ahem, TN31, ahem...

If I could find someone selling the Thrunite in Canada I'm afraid resistance would be futile!

Here's an update. it was on Saturday and Sunday that I was having major problems with the on/off switch. I had planned on re-boxing it and shipping it back on Monday before work, but didnt get around to it because I didnt have the 45 minutes to go to post office, etc. So then on Monday night(last night), I take it off the shelf and start trying it out again. It fails to come on the first try, but after that, it works every time! I kept picking it up every hour or so when I wasnt busy, and kept clicking it off/on, literally like 75-100 times at least over last night, and it only failed to turn on 2 more times, but when it did fail, I only had to click it one more time to turn it on. I f I sat here and clicked my SC600 on 75-100 times, it would fail to come on 1 or 2 times, and I dont consider that a big deal.

Contrast that with Saturday and Sunday when the TK-41 was failing to come on 2 to 3 out of every 5 tries, and when it didnt come on, I'd have to click it as many as 2-3-4 times to get it to finally come on! Same was happening when I tried to turn it off, but not as badly. I just now clicked it on/off a few more times with no problems....

But fiberguy in post #9 mentioned that his would some times work well, then some times not work well. I dont want to return it if it has miraculously cured itself, and will be fine from now on, but these miraculous self cures of devices usually dont last long, and there is usually an underlying problem that will rear it's head again. So right now I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it.

One thing though, it has been really humid lately, especially at night, which leaves a haze in the air that prevents me from really getting a good idea how well this thing throws at longer distances compared to my other, smaller 700L throwers, and in that situation the TK41 didnt seem much better, but finally last night the air seemed to be a little clearer, and I was able to light up the forest at the end of the street about maybe 120 yards away, and the TK41 did a nice job of putting a beam on those trees, whereas my smaller 650-700 lumen throwers barely lit the trees up at all, and their beams were larger and more diluted at that range, whereas the TK41 put a fairly tight, fairly bright beam on those trees. So there is a significant difference between it and the others. That makes it more difficult to make my decision......

I just dont want a light that I end up keeping, that ends up with an on again/off again bad switch.

Up All Night

Enlightened

To be honest, I was less than impressed when I first received mine. I'm a city-dweller so even powerful lights can be challenged to some extent. A trip just outside the city to my sister's has led to a new found respect for this light. Open spaces away from the city's glow provided the perfect setting to let this thing rip! It works quite well!
Torture that switch for a few more days and see how it holds up.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just sent the TK-41 back, and now I'm stuck between choosing a similar light like the T40CS, or buying another type like a big flood style light like maybe the Sunwayman T60CS, or Thrunite TN-30, or maybe a brighter thrower like the TN-31.

Decisions......