Fenix TK20 Upgrade?

laur

Newly Enlightened
I recently acquired a Fenix TK20 flashlight. It has a CREE XRE Q2 neutral LED. I love the overall quality, feel and ergonomics of the flashlight so I would just like to upgrade the LED. Here are some questions I have about the upgrade:

1) Can the bezel be opened to expose the existing LED so I can install a newer LED??
2) If question #1 is YES, what LED would you recommend to give more surface brightness, more lumens per watt and more lux for throw??

I was thinking about a CREE XRE R2, a XPE R4/R5 and a Nichia 219. The upgraded LED would have to be compatible with the existing reflector and (hopefully) be available in a neutral tint. If there are other LED's out there that would do a better job, please let me know.

This light was a true "survival light" in its' day and I want to keep the flashlight and just upgrade the light source.

Thanks for your help -- Any and all suggestions are much appreciated.

laur

Last edited:

inspirit

Newly Enlightened
Laur,Its hard to disconnect the head of the TK20. Even if you you succeed with the help of special tools, the reflector may be damaged. Other thing you should consider is the Compatibility of the new LED and the current circuitry.

laur

Newly Enlightened
inspirit

Thanks for the info. The light is just too nice to put in the "outdated bin" so I hope the LED can be upgraded. It throws really well for a 2AA light but I would like a newer LED.

laur

laur

Newly Enlightened
155 Views and only one response??

Surely someone in the CPF community knows if you can take apart the Fenix TK20 bezel so the existing LED can be upgraded. Let's put our collective thinking hats on and come up with an answer. A gold star to the winner!!

Thanks,
laur

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is probably some way, but there aren't many options that will keep that throw you have. That R2 binned LED might get you 25% more lumens from the 3 bin jump, and a bit longer runtime (lower Vf can give less power used, or more brightness and shorter runtime). But you won't notice the lumens, and the runtime is already acceptable on the TK20.

Try the usual hot/cold and strap wrenches to see if it comes open. You'll want a spare reflector to replace yours in case of any incidents, and maybe soldering iron on hand in case a wire pops...but at that point you're starting to rebuild the whole light.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here somebody in a German forum swapped the led in his TK-20 for an XP-G R5. The head has glues (threadlocked) threads making it difficult to open.

The tint of the TK-20s is considered one of the best. If you do switch it out. Don't destroy the led. Sell in the MP and make some nice money.

This flashlight has soo much mass that it could cope with much more heat. You could try an xm-l at 3A or just switch the driver for one that does maybe 1.5A and heatsink the led properly. A nichia 219 would also be nice.