HDS Systems

Thread: LiIon battery for Canon camera - worth it to get name brand?

Default LiIon battery for Canon camera - worth it to get name brand?

My wife and I are about to purchase a Canon PowerShot SX40 HS. We want to get a spare battery. The Canon battery is a good bit more expensive than the generics, but it seems like it's not worth risking cheap LiIon cells? Fire, etc?

Thanks for any info

Default Re: LiIon battery for Canon camera - worth it to get name brand?

Having had an off-brand battery fail me when I needed it, let me just say...

It's worth $$$ to have the things just plain work. Off-brand batteries are sometimes just as good as the name-brand. But they're rarely better, and if they're worse then it's you with no picture, no camera (poof), or no house (PFOOF!).
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

In addition to the included battery with my Canon 50D, I also use an OEM "demo" battery which is just fine. I purchased a third off-brand battery that came with a charger. It has performed well over the past 3 years, but I don't trust it 100% so it's always a last resort in my camera bag. If I had to do it over again, I would just stay with the Canon battery and play it safe.

Flashaholic

For my 30D i used to use SterlingTek batteries (BP511A) and they were superb for nearly 4 years of constant use.
    Fenix: TK11 | TK41 | LD20 | LD40 | PD32 | HP11 | MC11
    Spark: SL6-800CW | ST6-500CW Sunwayman: M10A Black Diamond: Spot
    Energizer: Lithium Ultimate headlamp MagLite: 2C w/ LED dropin Coleman: Quad LED Lantern

Unenlightened

If you look on ebay, you might be able to find some Canon-branded pulls from new cameras.
    I bought a couple for ~8$ a pop for my parents last year and when inspected, they're identical to the one that originally came with the camera in every way, appear genuine and my parents reported they appear to have similar durability.

i'm on odd brands, 2 in a battery grip and no problems after 3 years. i will say the maths dont add up though, 1 battery 20-30 minutes using on board flash, two batteries in a grip 3 days or more? hmmm..go figure.

as long as the cells are 'proteted' there shouldnt be any problems bar silly hi charging. but that will blow any battery.

Canon SD1000 Digital ELPH here, Triax brand Li-ion spare battery being in permanent rotation. Absolutely no problems after 4-5 years of use. Same as OEM.

Cheers

Second vote here on Sterlingtek.
    Pretty much a standard for Photographers everywhere that I know.
    Amazing Service and great prices too.

Ed

Just got a few iCAN NB 4L's. The Canon original NB 4L is amazing...
    I will keep you guys updated on its performance.

They want a fortune for the Canon ones...like over $50. These spares cost $15.

Last edited by raptechnician; 08-02-2013 at 12:20 AM.