LiIon battery for Canon camera - worth it to get name brand?

Vermonter73

Enlightened
My wife and I are about to purchase a Canon PowerShot SX40 HS. We want to get a spare battery. The Canon battery is a good bit more expensive than the generics, but it seems like it's not worth risking cheap LiIon cells? Fire, etc?

Thanks for any info :)

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having had an off-brand battery fail me when I needed it, let me just say...

It's worth $$$ to have the things just plain work. Off-brand batteries are sometimes just as good as the name-brand. But they're rarely better, and if they're worse then it's you with no picture, no camera (poof), or no house (PFOOF!).

markr6

Flashaholic
In addition to the included battery with my Canon 50D, I also use an OEM "demo" battery which is just fine. I purchased a third off-brand battery that came with a charger. It has performed well over the past 3 years, but I don't trust it 100% so it's always a last resort in my camera bag. If I had to do it over again, I would just stay with the Canon battery and play it safe.

DisrupTer911

Enlightened
For my 30D i used to use SterlingTek batteries (BP511A) and they were superb for nearly 4 years of constant use.

ayah

Newly Enlightened
If you look on ebay, you might be able to find some Canon-branded pulls from new cameras.
I bought a couple for ~8$ a pop for my parents last year and when inspected, they're identical to the one that originally came with the camera in every way, appear genuine and my parents reported they appear to have similar durability.

hoffmyster86

Newly Enlightened
i'm on odd brands, 2 in a battery grip and no problems after 3 years. i will say the maths dont add up though, 1 battery 20-30 minutes using on board flash, two batteries in a grip 3 days or more? hmmm..go figure.

as long as the cells are 'proteted' there shouldnt be any problems bar silly hi charging. but that will blow any battery.

tam17

Enlightened
Canon SD1000 Digital ELPH here, Triax brand Li-ion spare battery being in permanent rotation. Absolutely no problems after 4-5 years of use. Same as OEM.

Cheers

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Second vote here on Sterlingtek.
Pretty much a standard for Photographers everywhere that I know.
Amazing Service and great prices too.

Ed

raptechnician

Newly Enlightened
Just got a few iCAN NB 4L's. The Canon original NB 4L is amazing...
I will keep you guys updated on its performance.

bd6d.jpg

They want a fortune for the Canon ones...like over $50. These spares cost $15.

othp.jpg

Last edited: