Brightest 12v bulb (ideally H1 fitting)

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened
First of all I'm not sure whether this should go here or in the custom builds section, so apologies in advance if it's in the wrong place! I'm considering modifying an old plug in car spotlight for extra throw, and wondered about the best bulb to use. It currently has a 100w H1 bulb, so the easiest mod would be to simply slot in a 130w H1, which would get me a quoted 2700 to 3400 lumens depending on where I purchase.

But, I was wondering if there were any other bulbs out there? It shouldn't be too difficult to (crudely) construct a H1 to G6.35 adaptor, but the best I can find is the Osram 64625, which gives 3600 lumens. An extra 200 lumens probably isn't going to be worth the hassle, as efficiency/voltage sag won't be an issue.

Some years ago I vaguely remember a 160w H1 bulb (I think) but can't seem to find any now, at least not one for which I believe the claims!

Last edited:

Phil Ament

Enlightened
You do not state what particular spotlight that it is and so I am not even sure if it would be possible/feasible, but have you considered converting it to a HID. I do know that there are plenty of H1 HID kits around though! If what you are really after is higher output and extra throw, then I would really think that HID would be the way to go, that is unless someone that is a little more technically knowledgeable says otherwise, although I strongly suspect that they would agree with me. If you are really lucky our resident high power HID conversion expert may just chime in here. BVH, where are you!

Last edited:

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened
I can't remember the brand, but it was bought from Tandy (I think they called it Radio Shack in the US?) about 25 years ago. There's a part of me that likes the idea of an incan mod, but a HID might be possible - I'm sure I could cope with the colour if it gives a massive wow factor! We live in the mountains (Wales, UK), so I'd really like to be able to light up a few neighbouring hills.

The other option I'm considering is an 12V to 24V converter, and then running something like an Osram 64656 in it - 275w with a 10" reflector should be a giggle!

Phil Ament

Enlightened
I can't remember the brand, but it was bought from Tandy (I think they called it Radio Shack in the US?) about 25 years ago. There's a part of me that likes the idea of an incan mod, but a HID might be possible - I'm sure I could cope with the colour if it gives a massive wow factor! We live in the mountains (Wales, UK), so I'd really like to be able to light up a few neighbouring hills.

The other option I'm considering is an 12V to 24V converter, and then running something like an Osram 64656 in it - 275w with a 10" reflector should be a giggle!

I possess numerous different halogen and HID spotlights and as far as I am concerned the HID's win hands down, and there is usually no comparison between the two. HID's definitely also have plenty of the WOW factor, and from what you say above such as wanting to be able to light up the neighbouring hills, it really sounds like that they may just be exactly what you are looking for!

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened
Definitely leaning towards HID for convenience - maybe a 100w kit. Seems like that should get me in the region of 10,000 lumens!

I dug it out last night and fired it up on the original 100w bulb. It really is a huge thrower! I shone it on the neighbouring hill which is about 1250 feet away (from the OS map), and you could see the pool of light quite clearly.