Question for Canadians: Eneloop

Marc999

Newly Enlightened
Hey, any fellow Canadians know what's going on with the Eneloop?

Canada Computers: final clearance sale on any/all eneloop packages.
Costco.ca: no longer carries them.
Dell.ca: no longer carries them.
Loblaws (RCSS): no longer carry those Pres.Choice rechargeables.
Shopper's Drug Mart: not sure, haven't seen them in awhile.

I know Thomas Dist. is a reliable source still, just wondering what's going on. Perhaps preparing for 3rd generation shipments, or maybe a complete re-branding via Panasonic label?

Marc

michelkenny

Newly Enlightened
Hey, any fellow Canadians know what's going on with the Eneloop?

Canada Computers: final clearance sale on any/all eneloop packages.
Costco.ca: no longer carries them.
Dell.ca: no longer carries them.
Loblaws (RCSS): no longer carry those Pres.Choice rechargeables.
Shopper's Drug Mart: not sure, haven't seen them in awhile.

I know Thomas Dist. is a reliable source still, just wondering what's going on. Perhaps preparing for 3rd generation shipments, or maybe a complete re-branding via Panasonic label?

Marc

Shopper's Drug Mart carries the Duracell "stay charged" brand, with the ones having a "white top" being rebranded Eneloops (commonly called Duraloops). They go on sale for $7.99 / 4 pack pretty often for one day only.

Up All Night

Enlightened
SDM seems to have the "duraloops" on every 4-5 weeks. They go on sale for the entire week at less than half the normal price. As michelkenny has stated, they usually have a one or two day of an extra couple dollars off. Limit of 4 but they usually let that slide. Just make sure you grab the white top made in Japan package as they are often on the same peg with the black tops. I can assure you SDM still carries them as I was there several days ago!

loquutis79

Enlightened
I looked for the ones at Shoppers Drug Mart. Did not see them. And I was wondering, are they really Eneloops? Does someone know that for sure or do we just think they are. I've read this before on this site but i don't recall reading what the actual evidence was to substantiate the claim. Does anyone here know?

Ok I was just there. Are they the ones with the "white top" meaning the very end of the battery being white? I was looking for a white band just like the gold band on normal copper tops. But now I see some have a "white end" to it. Am I on to the correct item now?

But again. Do we know this to be Eneloops for sure, or just rumor?

Last edited:

Up All Night

Enlightened
I looked for the ones at Shoppers Drug Mart. Did not see them. And I was wondering, are they really Eneloops? Does someone know that for sure or do we just think they are. I've read this before on this site but i don't recall reading what the actual evidence was to substantiate the claim. Does anyone here know?

I don't believe I've ever read a definitive answer myself. A search for "duraloop" sure comes back with a lot of hits. I can offer that my experience suggests they are the same, performance-wise. Looking at both, they are identical. The pos contacts have a "squarish" look when viewed from above, four vent holes around pos contact, slightly raised neg end share the same diameter, white top and of course made in Japan label. I don't run break-ins on lsd's anymore but when I did capacities were, for all intents and purposes spot on. I'm no expert but I believe they are the same cell. SDM definitely carries them, I've seen them in Markham, Scarborough and Toronto stores within the last 10 days or so. As I mentioned above, they may share the same peg as the black top made in China cells. You may have to look through them.

Just seen your edit. Yes, the tops are white surrounding the pos contact, not the label. Double check for made in Japan. If you can wait, they go on sale about every 4 weeks at less than half price. Best to get there early as some stores get picked through quite quickly!

Last edited:

SaraAB87

Newly Enlightened
I live near the border in WNY and to my knowledge I cannot find any B&M retailer that has eneloops. Its pretty sad actually. We don't have costco and Sam's only has energizer rechargable batteries.....,yuk!

The only possible place I can think of that I haven't checked is the Apple store. I hear they either have eneloops or a possibly apple rebranded eneloop. There is one in a mall in Buffalo so I will have to check next time I am there.

As of now my only option is to order and every time I get a new pack of eneloops they always end up finding a home.

rumack

Enlightened
I don't know if I can find the thread, but there was at least one thread in which some of the senior members and battery masters here did tests comparing the white top Duracells and eneloops. They compared the two on many counts including capacity and behavior under load and became satisfied the white top Duracells were rebranded eneloops.

ouchyfoot

Newly Enlightened
The white top Duracel (Japan) are the low discharge " holds charge for one year" "fully charged". The blacktop Duracel (China) are just the regular rechargables.
i even see them in my local Rexall Pharmacy.
I think Sanyo is just marketing them in Canada under the Duracel name because of Duracels huge market and logistics.

SaraAB87

Newly Enlightened
Some of the stores near me in the USA still have the older, hated duracell batteries, but we all know our batteries so that will not be a problem. I am just surprised to see some still on the shelves. Most retailers here just phased out the regular duracell non LSD batteries. I got a pack of duracells's at target a couple months ago for $5 and they work for me, especially for the cheap price. Now target stocks the newer duracell batteries.

I actually have a set of 2 of those hated duracell's, I think they are 2650 or something like that. I found them in something I bought at a yard sale. After reviving/refreshing the batteries with my BC700 I put them in a digital camera that seems to reject some of my other batteries and they work! They also hold a charge about the same as some of my other batteries or better so maybe I got lucky.

ryukin2000

Enlightened
I don't believe I've ever read a definitive answer myself. A search for "duraloop" sure comes back with a lot of hits. I can offer that my experience suggests they are the same, performance-wise. Looking at both, they are identical. The pos contacts have a "squarish" look when viewed from above, four vent holes around pos contact, slightly raised neg end share the same diameter, white top and of course made in Japan label. I don't run break-ins on lsd's anymore but when I did capacities were, for all intents and purposes spot on. I'm no expert but I believe they are the same cell. SDM definitely carries them, I've seen them in Markham, Scarborough and Toronto stores within the last 10 days or so. As I mentioned above, they may share the same peg as the black top made in China cells. You may have to look through them.

Just seen your edit. Yes, the tops are white surrounding the pos contact, not the label. Double check for made in Japan. If you can wait, they go on sale about every 4 weeks at less than half price. Best to get there early as some stores get picked through quite quickly!

just stopped by SDM and saw a bunch of these. white top and both package and cell said made in Japan. im excited they carry it but for 20.99 for a 4 pack is pricey so i passed on that. ill keep an eye out for the sale. glad i came across this thread.

Last edited:

CJS

Newly Enlightened
just stopped by SDM and saw a bunch of these. white top and both package and cell said made in Japan. im excited they carry it but for 20.99 for a 4 pack is pricey so i passed on that. ill keep an eye out for the sale. glad i came across this thread.

Hi ryukin2000 -

The Duracell StayCharged batteries were on sale at Shopper Drug Mart about 3 weeks ago - $10.99 per package (regular price $20.99). I purchased a large quantity of the AA StayCharged batteries on July 20th.

Keep your eyes open for the next sale. If have a Shoppers Optimum card, make sure you use it. Good luck!

Craig

SaraAB87

Newly Enlightened
Duraloops on sale at rite aid in the US this week, 8$, there are coupons in the Sunday paper ad inserts for $1.50 off duracell rechargables at least for the northeast. Rite aid stocks only the white top from what I can see and the package says made in Japan.

soloz2

Newly Enlightened
Duraloops on sale at rite aid in the US this week, 8$, there are coupons in the Sunday paper ad inserts for $1.50 off duracell rechargables at least for the northeast. Rite aid stocks only the white top from what I can see and the package says made in Japan.

Thanks for the heads up. I just looked at the flier and sure enough 50% off. I did know about the coupon already. I could really use some AAA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

SaraAB87

Newly Enlightened
The stores around here only seem to have 2 packages AAA and AA per store but I bet they restock when they are gone. I don't think too many people around here use rechargable battery setups so they should be easy to find, from experience most people just buy the cheapest batteries.. Also use your rewards card and you might get extra coupons. I just found the coupon in the paper so I am going back to buy another set at some point.

Just not sure where to post this on CPF forums so I posted it here.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
CanadaComputers still has em. They also have Imedion as an alternate option.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ncix.com has some eneloops. As well, if you go to SuperStore and buy the President's Choice AA NiMH they are rebranded eneloops.

arkan

Newly Enlightened
i got mine from batteriesexpert.com, they should have bunch of locations across Canada.

tickled

Newly Enlightened
CT has them for inflated prices. I have ordered them from American shops since they have become much harder to source of late.

CdBoy

Newly Enlightened
Its quite true that Eneloops under the ff. name of "President's Choice" or Duraloops sold by shopper's drug mart are becoming hard to comeby. maybe it just involve quantity meaning they might be back in force after those stores' inventory level reaches that critically low then their purchasers will buy in bulk/volume to take advantage of the big volume discounts offered by the sellers of those items. otherwise try the ff. www.mec.ca their stores sell Duraloops - rebranded eneloops.

SaraAB87

Newly Enlightened
The duraloops are common now here in the US but I think it will get easier to find them for everyone around the holidays when retailers will be stocking massive amounts of batteries. It seems that all retailers who stock duracell are now stocking the white top rechargables and no other type of duracell. Target earlier in the year had some duracell regular nimh rechargables on clearance so I think other types have been phased out of US retail. But each rite aid I went to last week had only 2 packs of AA and AAA on the racks. So larger quantities might be hard to find.

The exception here would be stores like Kmart where they are sitting on old stock, I have seen them stock the old duracell 2650's the last time I was there. If you want to buy batteries at retail you have to hit stores that are well traveled and that have good inventory systems for the freshest stock. Kmart does not apply here.