Potential Group Buy - Umbilical Plugs

demonic69

Newly Enlightened
Hi all
Following my tool-free Umbilical thread I thought I'd look into getting some simple plugs made that can easily convert either cheap DX torches or Maglites to an umbilical head.
I've had a quote for £20 each to get a plug made out of aluminium, threaded internally for an M16x1.5 Agro and externally to fit a Maglite or Chinese torch (based on rough sizes, if everyone wanted a Chinese torch plug we'd have to chose the specific model to make sure the diameter/thread was right) with 2 grooves for orings if possible.
I like the look of DX SKU 140986 - £40 for a head host isn't too bad I don't think, plus, if your can fails, you can still convert it to a normal 18650 torch.
This is a quote based on 10 plugs, should be less if more are ordered. PnP shouldn't be too much and I can try to ship as gifts or samples.
I chose alu to help with heatsinking and sealing, delrin is possbile and maybe cheaper but doesn't offer the same benefits.
If anyone's interested let me know what you'd prefer and I'll do some more digging.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats an interesting light.

Smooth reflector looks deepish which should provide a tightish beam.
I like the slide switch idea.

If its just the tail cap you plan on swapping out for the machined piece then I'd go with acetal/delrin.
If you use aluminium you will have to get it anodized. Even if you can un thread the barrel I doubt heat will be an issue as long as the pill is part of the head. ( at least in water or short run times out of water).

You will want to upgrade the driver to a 3 amp one though.

The problem is ( not really a problem) a single XML could run for up to one hour at full power off a single 18650. This negates the usefulness of a cannister for many divers. Now if you swapped it out for a SST-90 and drive it at 9 amps thats a different story! Man I wish Cree would release a SST-90 killer!

Last edited:

demonic69

Newly Enlightened
Hi Packhorse

I was actually thinking of sticking in a aspheric lens as I have an idea for a zoomable light, do you think the head is long enough for an aspheric?
May even look at a 3xU2 setup with smaller aspherics if I can get them in. The SST90 looks pretty cool, but a 3xXML-U2 is still cheaper with about 750 more lumen and only a 3A driver needed, is the difficulty in focusing the light or the multiple emitters?
I'll get some quotes for Delrin or Acetal then, should work out a bit cheaper.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 small aspherics with xmls?
Will be a wide beam.
I wouldnt bother. ( unless you want a wide beam)

You could put an aspheric in but question is which one.
Perhaps an ahorton 28mm. But then the W200 may be a better candidate. Its smaller (although no switch).

Best to decide on what optics/LED's etc you want then find a candidate instead of the other way around.

Last edited:

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man I wish Cree would release a SST-90 killer!

I heard somewhere that Cree makes the dice for Luminus. Don't know if it's true, but if it is there must be some contractual limitation on Cree competing with it for some time. I agree it would be awesome to have a 3.3V 9A LED!

DeeperDeeper

Newly Enlightened
Thats an interesting light.
!
Yes, maybe as raw material.

I bought one. The gliding switch is poor. It has abt 12 mm of movement but the first 10 mm light stays off and it light up during the last 2 mm. You cannot really speak about stepless control. Okei it can be used to switch the light on and off. And last but not the least: The lamp flooded on the first dive to 15 meters.

So check or change the o-rings before taking into use!