921 bulb for cargo light?

fangle

Newly Enlightened
First, let me explain the application:
  • 2002 Ram 2500 (think '94-01 Dodge truck, the 2500 was an old body style carry-over in '02)
  • 921 bulbs used in the cargo lights, the two white lights next to the CHMSL at the top rear of the cab
  • These cargo lights can only turn on when the cab interior lights are on - they can't be lit when the truck is driving as I couldn't see to drive with the cab interior lights on
  • The CHMSL takes different bulbs, so what I am asking for can't be used there and I will not be changing those bulbs
  • The cargo light lens is textured to make a flood pattern

I am looking for brighter, LED bulbs for the cargo light position. The 921 bulb there now is mounted with the socket facing out so the top of the bulb is facing the lens (the way a flashlight bulb is mounted). The location has only a partial reflector - the mounting location is a square opening and only the two sides have a reflector, not the top and bottom. I don't want to go with a higher power incandescent bulb out of concern for heat in the all plastic housing. It seems that this would be a good application for a high power directional LED replacement.

I have considered this application for some time before posting. I do not believe I have violated any rules about asking for an illegal application. If I have broken the rules in some way, it would be helpful to me to learn what I missed.

Thanks!

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I should come up with spray in GITD bedliner.
or at least a white version of the Rhino liner.

halvis

Newly Enlightened
I had the same problem in my 1990 dodge truck, but just kept a portable battery powered magnet mount light in the glove box, for night loading/unloading.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
Figure a way to flush-mount these in the bed:
http://www.rigidindustries.com/DuallyFlushMountFlood-p/21111.htm

I just saw them at a show and my head was spinning with the possibilities for the work/offroad truck market.

3561137759bd5b68425a9ffd6745.jpg

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try searching for 4 X 4 rock lights. Four wheelers use them when driving over rough terrain at night. Many are LED.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Headlamp. The kind that straps on your head, not the kind that goes on the front of a car or truck.

bnemmie

Enlightened
You could do what I did and run strings of LED emitters under the bed rails and wired them into the light on my topper and the cargo light on the cab. So I can either light everything up from the cab or the rear of the truck. Nice even, smooth light all around my 8 foot bed. Took a little bit of work to make everything clean but Ive powerwashed the bed out sveral times so far and nothing has stopped working yet.

fangle

Newly Enlightened
You could do what I did and run strings of LED emitters under the bed rails and wired them into the light on my topper and the cargo light on the cab.

I would be doing that if the truck didn't have an over the rail bed liner.

Vinniec5

Enlightened
get a 12volt led or CFL magnetic drop light and adapter plug for the trailer hitch socket and actually see your cargo in the bed. the cab mounted cargo lights just dont cut it