Eagletac D25LC2 (XM-L U2, 1x18650, 2x(R)CR123A) Review

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
For submission in the Reviews forum.

S-1.jpg

The D25LC2 is one of the D25 clicky series from Eagletac. I previously reviewed the D25C. My review sample of D25LC2 is a XM-L U2 light that runs on 1x18650 or 2x(R)CR123A batteries. Packaging is fairly same as the D25C. Included inside is the light, user manual, warranty card, spare o-ring, mil-spec paracord lanyard, very good quality nylon holster with a flip with a snap button.

Manufacturer Specifications from Eagletac's website :
1. Dimensions
• Head Dia. : 0.9 inches (22.5mm)
• Body Dia. : 0.85 inches (22mm)
• Length : 4.5 inches (115mm)
• Weight : 1.7 ounce (49grams)
2. LED
• Cool White CREE XM-L U2 LED
3. Battery Type
• 2xCR123A, 2xRCR123A, or 1x18650 li-ion
• Compatible battery size
- 123A : (16-16.8mm/34-34.5mm)
- 18650 : (18-18.8mm/65-68.5mm)
4. Operating voltage
• 2.7V - 8.4V
5. Max output
• LED lumen : 741
• OTF lumen : 548
6. Lens
• Impact resistance waterwhite glass lens
• Anti-reflective(AR) coating on both side
7. Circuit
• C2000RC
• Efficiency : up to 95%
• Constant current regulation (non-PWM) for all output modes
• Turbo boost technology
8. Reflector
• Very light orange peel aluminum reflector
9. Material
• HAIII hard anodization aerospace aluminum
10. Waterproof
• IPX-8 standard
11. Output and Runtime
• Four brightness levels
- Led lumen : Turbo(741)/High(488)/Med.(61)/Low(7)
- ANSI FL-1 lumen : Turbo(548)/High(370)/Med.(50)/Low(5)
- With lower-low-mode setting disabled, lowest output will increase by about 6 times, to 18 lumen,
and the second lowest output will double, to around 100 lumen
• Runtime
- 2xCR123A : Turbo(1.0)/High(1.8)/Med.(15)/Low(100+) hours
- 1x18650 : Turbo(1.5)/High(2.4)/Med.(25)/Low(150+) hours
• Seven hidden auxiliary outputs
- Strobe/Strobe(Var)/Flash(Hi)/S.O.S.(Fast)/S.O.S./Becaon/Flash(Lo)
S-2.jpg

S-3.jpg
S-4.jpg

S-5.jpg

The hard(type III) anodizing is a glossy black and no flaws on my sample. There are identification labels on the head and battery tube. All labels are very sharp, clear, and bright white against the black background. The diamond-shape knurling is present over most of the body. There are three bands of knurling, one around the bezel, one around the battery tube, and one around tailcap. The black stainless steel pocket clip is secured in place by its own retaining ring. It seems sturdy and removable clip.
S-6.jpg

The light has 3 parts (i.e. head, battery tube, and tailcap).
The stainless steel clip & lanyard attachment ring work as a good anti-roll device as well.
S-7.jpg

The light has a flat and shallow stainless steel bezel with a very dark gray color like D25C. There are two thick cooling fins for heat dissipation near knurled band on the head. The positive battery contact has a circular raised lip (or bump) which works as a mechanical (or physical) reverse polarity protection. The light uses AR coating lens and the sky blue hue is reflected on it.
The aluminum reflector has a light orange peel pattern. But it's slightly close to medium orange peel in comparison to D25C. It is perfectly polished with no noticeable finishing flaws, and well-centered XM-L U2 LED sits at the bottom of the reflector cut.
S-8.jpg

Knurling is a bit aggressive and makes the head easier to twist for modes change. The clip can be removed only after detaching the o-ring and then loosening the retaining ring.
S-9.jpg

Both front and back threads on the battery tube is symmetric. Butt they are not anodized as they are used for the electric connection.
S-10.jpg

The screws threads seem trapezoidal cut - I'm not sure about it as I've gotten farsighted several years ago. - Maybe they are square-cut.
S-11.jpg

The light comes with a 2xCR123A plastic sleeve so that the batteries don't rattle in the battery tube. It's well-made and useful.
S-12.jpg

The tailcap switch boot has a Eagletac logo stamped into it. It is a reverse clicky. The rubber switch cap is recessed within the tail end. The switch has a good feel to touch and has short travel with moderate tension. There is a lanyard attachment ring on the tailcap.
S-13.jpg

Note that the head and tailcap are reversible on the battery tube of the light (i.e., you can reverse the direction of the clip by simply exchanging the head and tailcap without moving the clip). The light works properly in both orientations. It explains why the tailcap threads are not anodized on the battery tube to allow tailcap lockout.
S-14.jpg

The light can tailstand perfectly with lanyard attachment without any problem on my sample.
S-15.jpg

From left to right, VicLite 18650(2600mAh) protected, Xeno S3A (v1), Eagletac D25LC2, Spark SL6S-740NW, Fenix PD32 Prototype.
S-16.jpg

It is good size to hold and can be used as an EDC light.
S-17.jpg

The CR123A & 18650 fit well in the tube. But only small-button top 18650's work in the light (i.e., flat-top or wide button-top 18650's don't work) because of the raised circular raised lip around the positive contact in the head.
Overall build quality is very good.
S-18.jpg

The net weight of the light is 51g. The weight including 2xCR123A's and 1x18650 are 87g and 99g respectively.
S-19.jpg

The D25LC2 comes with a very nice & rigid built nylon holster with a flip with a snap button. It prevents the light from moving or sliding inside the holster.
User Interface

The light basically has the same UI as D25C.
Press the tailcap switch until it clicks to turn on the light. (i.e. press and release for on). Press the switch again until it clicks to turn off the light.

There are two output groups (i.e. Group 1 & 2).
With the head tighten, you get group 2. With the head loosened, you get group 1. With the light on, slightly (or half) pressing & releasing the switch will advance you to the next output in each group.

1. Group 1 :
With the head loosened, slightly pressing & releasing the switch cycles the output in the following order.
Low -> Med. -> High ->
Low -> Med. -> High ->
Strobe I -> Strobe II -> Beacon I -> Beacon II -> SOS I -> SOS II -> Low-Flash -> cycle

With the head loosened (i.e. in group 1), you get the programmable features available in two groups such as moonlight output and mode memory.
The moonlight output means you can dim the output levels of the group 1.

The moonlight output [on] is accessible by switching the light on with the head loosened, then perform a sequence of tightening/loosening of the head 3 times.
If you perform the above sequence once again, you can return to the moonlight output [off].
From my test of the moonlight output, the reduction of the brightness between the moonlight output [on] and [off] isn't significantly decreased except the low & med. output. I will explain it later on again.

According to the user manual, the mode memory (which enabled the light to turn on at the last used output level) can be enabled or disabled if you want. This is done by performing switching the light on with the head tightened, then perform a sequence of loosening/tightening of the head 3 times. But the mode memory of my sample doesn't work on either group 1 & 2.

2. Group 2 :
With the head tighten, slightly pressing & releasing the switch cycles the output in the following order.
Turbo -> Strobe ->cycle
PWM

S-20.jpg

The D25LC2 shows no sign of PWM at any output level as manufacturer claims. I think the light is constant current controlled. I notice there is no buzzing sound at any levels.
Runtime

1) 1x18650 (2600mAh)
S-21.jpg

D25LC2 steps down on turbo after around 3 minutes runtime. This is a common feature on a number of heavily-driven lights to protect from overheating. The runtime for 50% output of turbo & high are appr. 92 mins and 121 mins respectively in my test. The runtime for 10% output of turbo & high is 99 mins & 125 mins respectively. The output on high is lower than step-down level of turbo by around 20%. I just stopped runtime test on med. mode 9.4 hr later because the output at that time is 97% of the initial output (i.e,. these are much the same).
2) 2xCR123A

S-22.jpg

The light steps down on turbo after around 3 minutes runtime. The runtime for 50% output of turbo & high are appr. 64 mins and 96 mins respectively in my test. The runtime for 10% output of turbo & high is 95 mins & 123 mins respectively. The output on high is lower than step-down level of turbo by around 20%. I stopped runtime test on med. mode 9 hr later as the outputs between the initial and 10% of the initial are much the same.
3) 1x18650 & 2xCR123A

S-23.jpg

D25LC2 shows excellent performance in output-runtime, and shows flat regulation with 1x18650 & 2xCR123A's on all output levels as well. The light's output levels are consistent across 18650 & CR123A battery types.
Moonlight Output [On] & [Off]

As I said earlier, there is not much difference in brightness between the moonlight output [on] and [off] except the low & med. output. I placed the light meter at a test distance 30 cm from the lens of D25LC2. Results are reported in lux. Measurements were taken 3 mins of turning on the light. Here are the results. The moonlight output [on] low is not as a true lower low as the D25C.

S-24.jpg

S-25.jpg

S-26.jpg

The above shows the lower low for D25C & D25LC2 with moonlight output [on].
Beamshot

1) Outdoor beamshot (about 55m from the target)
- ISO100, F/2.8, 1sec, Auto white balance
- Battery used : 1x18650

S-27.jpg

- Control Shot
S-28.jpg

- Turbo
S-29.jpg

2) Outdoor beamshot (about 60~65m from the target)
- ISO100, F/2.8, 1sec, Auto white balance
- Battery used : 1x18650

S-30.jpg

- Control Shot
S-31.jpg

- Turbo
S-32.jpg

* D25LC2 was supplied by Eagletac for review.

Last edited:

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
A nicely written review. The LC2 doesn't break any new ground but I like the overall size and flexibility. I do like that it can handle up to 8.4V so it could use 18350 cells for a bit more capacity vs. 16340s.

Up All Night

Enlightened
Nicely done!
This is a great light. Awesome output, light weight, fuel options and a great price point. I think it's hard to beat. My only quibble is my sample has an audible whine on all levels and sounds like a cricket farm on all flashing modes. Since I rarely use the flashing modes it's of little concern but I still can't believe how loud it is on them. The whine on high(not turbo) can be annoying if using the light near your head but you can always adjust your proximity. I'm sure there is a substantial number of these out there and I'm surprised I've not read any others commenting on noise.
For any considering this light, please don't let the above deter your purchase. I would gladly grab another one!

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
A nicely written review. The LC2 doesn't break any new ground but I like the overall size and flexibility. I do like that it can handle up to 8.4V so it could use 18350 cells for a bit more capacity vs. 16340s.

Yes, 2x18350's has better capacity than 2x16340's. I think 2x18350's unprotected will fit & work in the light well, but you need to be careful with overdischarge.

Nicely done!
This is a great light. Awesome output, light weight, fuel options and a great price point. I think it's hard to beat. My only quibble is my sample has an audible whine on all levels and sounds like a cricket farm on all flashing modes. Since I rarely use the flashing modes it's of little concern but I still can't believe how loud it is on them. The whine on high(not turbo) can be annoying if using the light near your head but you can always adjust your proximity. I'm sure there is a substantial number of these out there and I'm surprised I've not read any others commenting on noise.
For any considering this light, please don't let the above deter your purchase. I would gladly grab another one!

Oh, I'm sorry to hear there is audible whine on your light. Mine has no audible whine on any output level with either 18650 or CR123A battery types. I didn't see any issue about it in CPF, if I'm not wrong.
How about contacting with your dealer? There will be other ways.

cyclesport

Enlightened
Nicely done!

I agree with your positive comments re this light. I too own XM-L U2 version(s) of this light as well as the D25C in both Aluminum and Ti. I would also add none of my copies of these new ET clickys exhibit any inductor whine at all. Nor have I seen any others on this forum, or elsewhere, complian or mention it? If it doesn't bother you...so be it but if it was me, and is loudly present (especially the chirping) on all levels as you claim...I would certainly contact your dealer for an exchange. ET has excellent customer service...good luck.

SPNKr

Newly Enlightened

What would be the advantage of using 2 18350s instead of a single 18650? The maximum output appears to be the same and the 18650 has a much higher capacity.

kj2

Flashaholic
Nice looking light :) But had a bad experience with Eagletac (G25C2) last week. Coating was bad, and holster wasn't as good as I expected to be (short, button instead of velcro).

Up All Night

Enlightened
candle lamp & cyclesport,
Thanks for your response. I did contact the seller, an authorized Canadian Eagletac dealer but received no reply. This really didn't surprise me as they threw in a free Eagletac 3100 18650 on top of free shipping. I then contacted Eagletac directly and explained exactly what was happening and that I was familiar with inductor whine but the VOLUME of the "chirping" on the flashing modes was somewhat unnerving. If they could assure me that this "chirping" was not an indicator of other possible problems I would try and live with it. Eagletac's response was(not verbatim) Noise is no problem, just inductor. If this bothers you send head in for adjustment. Being a brand new light I kind of expected a "send the light in and we'll send another one your way". If they check each light for function before packaging, the person who qc'd this must have been wearing headphones!

Last edited:

david57strat

Enlightened
Nicely done!

I also purchased one of these D25LC2s and I absolutely love it! There were no noises of any kind out of it, using any of the modes or settings within those modes. Eagletac lights carry a limited lifetime warranty for the original owner. If yours was a complimentary test sample, there may not be a way to get them to replace it for you. Ordinarily, you might be able to get them to exchange your light, completely free of charge (other than the cost of returning the original light). Wouldn't hurt to contact them, to see what they have to say. A light of this quality (and at this price point) shouldn't be making strange noises, no matter how you have it set. They'd probably be happy to know that your review was subsequently updated (assuming they exchanged the light for a non-noisy one), saying that you had no problems whatsoever with them replacing the light with a quiet one, and that their customer service was fast and friendly.

Good PR for them!

Up All Night

Enlightened
david57strat,
I believe my use of the term "sample" and telling people not to let my issue sway their decision on buying this light, has led you to believe there was a review on my part. That is not the case. I purchased this light.
Please see my post above. Eagletac only offered to adjust the head, which is something I would expect during a warranty period. Not when the light is having said issue out of the box.

Latest posts