Japanese Eneloop variations

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
I was searching the more common buy/sell sites today (ebay, amazon, etc) and noticed that you can buy different Eneloops directly from Japan that aren't generally found here. Most of them are listed as 1800 cycle, some of which with fancy wrappers (chocolat, disney, etc). In addition they have some that shut down at temperatures over 50 degrees celcius, they have some AA's that are 2400 mAh (but only 500 recharge cycles) and several other variations (Eneloop pro, lite, tones, plus, etc).

Do you think these are genuine? Has anyone used them? What are your impressions?

There is definitely a premium to order these. They're more than double the cost of our US domestic Eneloops. I was just thinking about grabbing some up to play with and see what I think, but I figured before I drop over $50 to wait 3 weeks and get 8 AA's, I'd ask you guys. I searched and didn't find anything here on CPF regarding these cells. Thanks in advance!

Wrend

Enlightened
As I understand, there have been some counterfeit Eneloops, but yes, they do make a wide range of them, and all the kinds that you've mentioned are kinds that I've heard of them making.

The regular "1500" cycle Eneloops are generally the most cost effective and offer the most cumulative lifetime capacity potential (cycle potential x capacity potential).

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I searched and didn't find anything here on CPF regarding these cells. Thanks in advance!

Hi fiberguy. Most of these cells have been discussed here on the Forum at some time or another. Not sure what's the best search description, other than "eneloop", which would probably come up with more hits than you really want, but......

The 2400mAh cells are the "XX" cells that are frequently discussed here. I thought about replacing my "1000 cycle" eneloops with them. Considering the cost difference here in the U.S. and the fact that I really don't need the extra capacity, that much anyway, I'm looking into just replacing them with the "1500 cycle" version, which are not too hard to come by here. As you noted, these last longer anyway. The "1800 cycle" version has yet to hit our shores, as far as I know, not that much difference, really.

Dave

Wrend

Enlightened
Yeah, I guess it depends where you live too. Seems I've heard the XX cells are more cost effective in Australia than they are here in the US, being closer in price to the regular Eneloops there.

Here in the US, at least, there's really no good reason to get the XX cells over the regular ones unless you specifically want the higher capacity without having to switch out the cells. Considering that the XX cells typically cost twice as much here, for the same cost in cells you get roughly 4.8 times the cumulative lifetime capacity potential and 1.6 times the capacity (you'd still have to switch out the cells a little sooner, but you'd have twice as many to use) with the regular Eneloops.

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
I see some sellers that ship to the US. Can I buy Eneloops from overseas and have them shipped here? Would customs get all fussy over some cells? What do you guys think?

Up All Night

Enlightened
I'm located north of the 49th, so I have no idea what your customs situation may be, but I sure wouldn't be eager to spend $50 on 8 eneloops. Unless you have an affinity for "exotic" wrappers, I would just buy domestically. Oveready sells blue 1500 cycle eneloops at $3 a pop!

Esoteric eneloops!:eek: Who knew?

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
I just thought they were kinda cool. I have a fascination with anything flashlight right now. I don't wanna buy them regularly, but I thought it may be neat to check out a set. Especially if the wrapper was written in Japanese. I have some friends who would be dumbfounded if I left those sitting out. I figure pay double for one set...not the end of the world. At least I'd keep 'em; in the past month I've lost so much money in the buy then sell a week later for a loss vortex. I can't be the only person on CPF who's thought about splurging on a set of these. I just need to know I'll actually get 'em.

Wrend

Enlightened
Fair enough.

I have a friend who occasionally lives in Japan and thought about asking her to pick up some of the "1800" cycle cells for me. Never got around to it though, since I didn't really want to bother her with it.

Up All Night

Enlightened
I just thought they were kinda cool. I have a fascination with anything flashlight right now. I don't wanna buy them regularly, but I thought it may be neat to check out a set. Especially if the wrapper was written in Japanese. I have some friends who would be dumbfounded if I left those sitting out. I figure pay double for one set...not the end of the world. At least I'd keep 'em; in the past month I've lost so much money in the buy then sell a week later for a loss vortex. I can't be the only person on CPF who's thought about splurging on a set of these. I just need to know I'll actually get 'em.

fiberguy,
After a reread of my post I can see that it may have come across as somewhat of an insult. That was definitely NOT my intention. If you interpreted it that way I apologize!
I'm sure you're not the only CPFer who would like to acquire batteries with different wrappers. I can only imagine how many eneloops Sanyo could sell if they signed a deal with Marvel Comics! I suffer enough angst with shipping on our continent, so I can't see myself graduating to overseas shipping anytime soon!

SaraAB87

Newly Enlightened
I have the rainbow 8 pack from Japan. In my case where eneloops are not available at retail it only cost me a couple extra dollars to get the special pack over the regular ones. The advantage is you can tell your cells apart faster as you can group by color, so there is some practicality to it. So I have 4 white eneloop and 8 colored eneloop therefore I will not mix them up easily. If I had 12 white eneloop then it would be a bit difficult to keep the cells matched without making a mistake.

I have a friend who makes frequent trips to Japan and actually lives in South Korea so technically I have access to basically any color of eneloop I want for retail price they are sold for in JP and South Korea but I think shipping might be an issue so I just bought mine from Thomas Distributing through Amazon.

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
fiberguy,
After a reread of my post I can see that it may have come across as somewhat of an insult. That was definitely NOT my intention. If you interpreted it that way I apologize!
I'm sure you're not the only CPFer who would like to acquire batteries with different wrappers. I can only imagine how many eneloops Sanyo could sell if they signed a deal with Marvel Comics! I suffer enough angst with shipping on our continent, so I can't see myself graduating to overseas shipping anytime soon!

Not taken that way at all, but I see how MY post could make you think it was...........

I'm not good with keyboard etiquette at all. I came off as overly defensive for sure! Sorry for the confusion! I need to use the little faces more often :)D)

Sara, I looked at Thomas Distributing, but unfortunately they don't have any of the fancy or creative Eneloops right now; just the basic ones that many sellers in US offer. Hmmmm..

entercpf

Newly Enlightened
Those fancy eneloops are the newest batch and therefore for the time being available only in Japan. However I'm not sure if colored versions such as "chocolate tones"/disney are limited editions.

eneloop 1500x hr-3utga
eneloop 1800x hr-3utgb (japan only..for now)

SaraAB87

Newly Enlightened
I could settle for basically any color but I really don't want white again. The Rainbow pack was probably last years limited edition (2011) as I bought them early this year when they still had stock. They have a 2011 manufacture date too. The package and printing on the batteries is in english. Japan is famous for limited editions of everything so its no surprise they have limited edition batteries. They may have been discontinued by now. They had a sparkly green 4 pack much like the green in the rainbow pack in Korea I think too.

rumack

Enlightened
Please don't give Sanyo ideas regarding eneloops with comic book or Star Wars theme wrappers. My wallet couldn't handle the strain. :D

I've never heard of the 1800x eneloops. Are they the same capacity as the 1500x ones? I'm sure the 1800x eneloops will be available in the US soon since I just bought a bunch of the glitter ones in the deal from Adorama. :hahaha:

I would stay away from eBay for eneloops. I remember reading a thread here some time ago in which the OP determined he had purchased fake eneloops and I'm pretty sure they were from eBay.

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
Please don't give Sanyo ideas regarding eneloops with comic book or Star Wars theme wrappers. My wallet couldn't handle the strain. :D

I've never heard of the 1800x eneloops. Are they the same capacity as the 1500x ones? I'm sure the 1800x eneloops will be available in the US soon since I just bought a bunch of the glitter ones in the deal from Adorama. :hahaha:

I would stay away from eBay for eneloops. I remember reading a thread here some time ago in which the OP determined he had purchased fake eneloops and I'm pretty sure they were from eBay.

Yeah exactly, same capacity. I'm just interested in as many different eneloops as possible. I can remember the glitter pack is dedicated to this light, the blues are dedicated to that light, the white versions to to this light, etc.

loser

Newly Enlightened
Went to japan last week

something 1800times, 5 years
comes with Disney version and different color
I haven't' never seen this many variation
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f211/new_type/werghd.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f211/new_type/wer5d.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f211/new_type/yjgrftyu.jpg

Your images are too large and have been replaced with links Please resize and repost as per my PM sent 4 days ago.
See Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels. - Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Wrend

Enlightened
I'd be a kid in a candy store there.

Hopefully they'll make the 1800 cycle Eneloops more available in the US soon, or maybe have 2000 cycle ones before long???

I'm looking at you, cumulative lifetime energy potential for price...

SaraAB87

Newly Enlightened
I think they have a 2 pack AA or 4 pack of AA glitter green in korea but don't quote me on that..

My friend is in Japan right now but I didn't tell him to buy me eneloops and now its too late to ask. I wonder what's in those smaller bags?

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
I think they have a 2 pack AA or 4 pack of AA glitter green in korea but don't quote me on that..

My friend is in Japan right now but I didn't tell him to buy me eneloops and now its too late to ask. I wonder what's in those smaller bags?

The pictures generate curiousity. I love it. "whats in those bags??? I wanna see in there!!"

For me it was more envy. Seriously, if I saw this display at Wally world, I'd be in real trouble....

loser

Newly Enlightened
Not sure which bags you guys referring to.
I thought the black packages were eneloop pro or sanyo xx.
But in the last picture next to the toshiba, the package says 1800. so it can't be sanyo xx or eneloop pro

Latest posts