Telling a genuine Fenix TK70 from a copy

MattC16

Newly Enlightened
Looking to buy a TK70 however I can't find anywhere reliable that sells them and delivers to my country. Amazon.com sell them but they will not deliver and the local Amazon don't sell them :(
I was looking on Ebay and a lot of them come from Hong Kong and in the description write:

"New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging (where packaging is applicable). If the item comes direct from a manufacturer, it may be delivered in non-retail packaging, such as a plain or unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details."

I find the part in bold quite worrying it's as if they are telling you to expect no original retail packaging because the light is a copy and not a genuine Fenix Tk70. The pricing works out at about $200 which is near other retailers.

Should I trust the Ebay sellers? (feedback is positive at 99.8%)

If I did buy it from Ebay how could I test to see if it is genuine?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't know how you'll test the light. Maybe take it apart and look at the electronics? Check if Fenix-Store ships to your country. They even have a coupon for CPF members, but I'm not sure what it is ("CPF8" maybe?).

There's also a nice list of flashlight dealers at the Marketplace with coupons for CPF members.

:welcome:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't give you much advice for e-Bay other than look at the seller's feedback and comments left by his clients. You should be able to find a regular distributor that ships international without trouble, but the shipping costs can vary greatly. Have a look at the special deals and dealer sections in the marketplace if you don't know where to start looking. I'm sure you'll find one that's not too far away.

:welcome:

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
I used to be an ebay power seller. That part in bold would scare me too! I don't know what that's all about. I never saw that option when creating a listing. Ever. The one part that I do seem to like is where it says "see description for more information" If they don't mention it again in the description, I would probably order it and pay with paypal. Once my new light came, I'd inspect it to see if it was legit and make sure it came with the packaging I was looking for. If not I'd return it and file a claim with paypal. At least using paypal you limit the amount of money you can lose to shipping costs.

Or you can just do what the other members say and try another vendor :thumbsup:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also e-mail them and ask a few questions, like a picture of the packaging. I personally think the bold warning has more to do with items they might sell in bulk or smaller / cheaper items like batteries, but you never know.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
"New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item ... " is just one of eBay's standard definitions. eBay has 6 standard defined condition descriptions from which a seller can choose: "New", "New other (see details)", "Manufacturer refurbished", "Seller refurbished", "Used" and "For parts or not working".

Edit: After the description for any item, there is a link "See all condition definitions" that takes you to the definitions.

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've ordered things from Hong Kong and China and many items come without packaging other than a padded envelope or plain box. They usually say they discard the original packaging to meet weight limits. With auctions you take a chance. I prefer known dealers. You should be able to find a dealer that ships to your country. If not, flip a coin!

U

User3451

I order a lot of fenix stuff and other brands off this seller hkequipment all genuine stuff at a fair price!
s.gif

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
what country does Amazon not ship to?
:thinking:
North Corea?
Where did You learn English? Where do You get an internet connection? Will You have access to power for recharging rechageable cells or get alkalines?
???
;)

PS: there are soo many shops already mentionned, as well as stated on the pages here, that typing another imho is not necessary

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
what country does Amazon not ship to?[...]

Canada. Believe it or not. I have to go to Amazon.ca, but they barely have anything else than books. I'm thinking if they don't ship accross this border, What country DO they ship to? (other than the U.S., of course)

Last edited:

yliu

Enlightened
I've never seen fake Fenix's.

Although there are Fenix copies.

Have you checked stores like going gear, light hound or other stores. I think they ship internationally and Canada is not that far from the US so I see no reason for them not to ship lights.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never seen fake Fenix's.

Although there are Fenix copies.

Have you checked stores like going gear, light hound or other stores. I think they ship internationally and Canada is not that far from the US so I see no reason for them not to ship lights.

I have my own Fenix, 4seven's and Sunwayman distributors here, but I do go to these guys for other lights. I think one of the OP's concern might be to save on shipping across the ocean, though.

inspirit

Newly Enlightened
the easiest way to deal with that is asking the Fenixlight Liminted for help, i guess.