Banggood Network

Thread: Lighting a single LED with a 9V Battery

Unenlightened

Default Lighting a single LED with a 9V Battery

I'm a little confused. Everyone is saying you cant connect the LED directly to the battery or it will burn out. However on the website I bought the LED from it says its operating voltage is from 3 to 10V. So does that mean I can connect the battery directly to it without any problems? Its a 9V battery. Here is the LED that I bought.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...-2000-mcd/351/

Thanks in advance

Flashaholic

Default Re: Lighting a single LED with a 9V Battery

I was going to say that you need a resistor until I noticed that it is a blinking LED which means it has a blinking circuit built into it. I would venture a guess and say the circuit is not only controlling the blinking but also how much voltage/current the actual LED gets. I would say that you should be able to directly hook it up to a nine volt battery no problem, just make sure you get the + and - correct!

Unenlightened

Default Re: Lighting a single LED with a 9V Battery

Quote Originally Posted by jason 77 View Post
    I was going to say that you need a resistor until I noticed that it is a blinking LED which means it has a blinking circuit built into it. I would venture a guess and say the circuit is not only controlling the blinking but also how much voltage/current the actual LED gets. I would say that you should be able to directly hook it up to a nine volt battery no problem, just make sure you get the + and - correct!
    Thanks man! I appreciate it. Yea I'm always used to red LEDs this size having a voltage of like 2-3 so when i saw it could handle up to 10V I was a little skeptical...Thanks!