Sorry guys, another noob asking for recommendations! Check list complete!

Huck

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me pick a decent EDC. There's so much to learn on this forum that it would take me a few weeks of lurking to become informed enough to make my own decision well, and I need this light for my maintenance job. There are a lot of times that I'm climbing into the ceilings, attics, huge AC units, empty stores, etc, and I need something that's bright enough to shine on opposite walls of large rooms, say maybe up to 100ft x 100ft? And it definitely needs to have a holster. I don't mind going up to $50 with the batteries and charger included. Is that asking too much? I figured I would let the experts keep me from wasting money :grin2: Here's the check list, thanks in advance for the help!

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
__x__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $25.
_x___Less than $50.
____Less than $100.
____Less than $150.
____Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
____I'm flexible, tell me what you gotJ.
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

_x___I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Keychain size.
__x__Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
__x__Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
__x__Holster carry.
____Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

__x__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

__x__I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
__x__I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
__x__I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
__x__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
__x__Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
__x__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
__x__30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
__x__50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
__x__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
__x__Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
__x__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
__x__I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
__x__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
__x__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
__x__Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

tubed

Enlightened
Welcome. You have high expectations for "under $50". (specifically #9) Most of the higher end companies will have difficulty fulfilling all your wishes so you may have to move to more budget companies ( like Shiningbeam). I only know of a few <$50 lights that can light up your whole back yard. The 4sevens Quarks do around 200 lumens, there's an ITP SC1 that can do >200lumens. They tend to run around $40. Jetbeam's BC10 can do 270 lumens. the BC20 can do >300 for under $50.
If price is the most key variable - start your search by going to Goinggear.com and using their search tool to look for lights under $50. then just choose the most powerful or whatever else you want.

Huck

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input guys! Yeah I knew that there was probably nothing under $50 that was going to fit that criteria exactly, the most important thing for me right now is the $50 cutoff. I've spent so much money on my 370Z lately that my wife would kill me if I came home with a $250 flashlight that could guide ships to harbor in a hurricane. I've already purchased an UltraFire C3 Cree 1xAA 1x14500 through dealextreme, with batteries it was about $15. 90% of the time I'm doing close up work, 20ft or less, so that should be fine for most situations. But every other month I'm in the ceiling of the mall, or in a 200'x550' room with no lights or windows, so that's when I'll need something a bit more powerful. Thanks once again for your suggestions, I'll check these out!

Ezeriel

Enlightened
Thanks for the input guys! Yeah I knew that there was probably nothing under $50 that was going to fit that criteria exactly, the most important thing for me right now is the $50 cutoff. I've spent so much money on my 370Z lately that my wife would kill me if I came home with a $250 flashlight that could guide ships to harbor in a hurricane. I've already purchased an UltraFire C3 Cree 1xAA 1x14500 through dealextreme, with batteries it was about $15. 90% of the time I'm doing close up work, 20ft or less, so that should be fine for most situations. But every other month I'm in the ceiling of the mall, or in a 200'x550' room with no lights or windows, so that's when I'll need something a bit more powerful. Thanks once again for your suggestions, I'll check these out!

I have a shiningbeam spark 2 aa light.. it will put 90 lumens on that ceiling for a decent amount of time..

it's decently floody so it will cover a large spot at say 40 feet it's about a 7 foot hotspot; just a guess don't hold me to it ;)

if you are comfortable with 18650 batteries you can get a Blaze (on clearance) for $29.75.. a freakin steal !
...but if you don't have a battery already a battery and charger will run you another $20 but that's still a heck of a deal, it's like getting a battery and charger for free

....if Bryan would just list runtimes and lux/lumens I bet that light would have never gone on clearance. Damn shame :mecry:

Last edited:

Huck

Newly Enlightened
Is the clearance here on the forum somewhere? I'm still getting used to the layout of this site...

Ezeriel

Enlightened
Is the clearance here on the forum somewhere? I'm still getting used to the layout of this site...

it's on his site.. google "Shiningbeam" and go from there....

even though Bryan is like CPF family, I can't link you to his site, cause he sells lights

edit: the "Spark is an AA light, looks like it's on sale too.. $33.75

Last edited:

Spence-_-Man

Newly Enlightened
haha same Huck Ive spent too much money on my R33 I dont want to justify buying a top of the range light.. (that i dont need) :p

rambo180

Enlightened
haha same Huck Ive spent too much money on my R33 I dont want to justify buying a top of the range light.. (that i dont need) :p

The caveman AA shiningbeam is $45 shipped. Its professional grade. Worth a look, I have the 18650 blaze professional, its great.

Also you may want something like a P7 Led LENSER or XL200 maglite. I know its like blasphemy mentioning them, but you might get one for $50 on ebay. They run on supercheap batteries, are well made, and HAVE ZOOM. Really great for your choice of flood or spot on that far wall you want to light up. And they're small.

Huck

Newly Enlightened
Lol, now this is the other problem. I HAVE TOO MANY CHOICES AND I WANT THEM ALL! Thanks again guys for all the help, I'm lost with all this stuff since it's so new to me. It's gonna take me a little while to learn all the terms and whatnot.

Spence, props on the R33. It's my serious goal in life to one day own a GTR, even if I'm 70 by the time I can afford it. They're just way sick. Don't know if I'm allowed to link this, but if you go to the370z forum and search for Huck, you can find all the pics of my Z. She's coming along slowly but surely. The exhaust I just got is the most beautiful thing ever.

Anyway, back on topic. I'll have to check all these out and let you guys know what I decide to go with... Thanks again!