ArmyTek
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Which LED Floodlight to choose

  1. #1

    Default Which LED Floodlight to choose

    I need some input, I'm trying to decied between the Utilitech ES303L42-10 3-Light, 360-degree motion detector area flood light [1929 lumens ] or the Lithonia OFLR 9LC 120 MO BZ similar 3-head design [1,719 lumen ] . My question, does this 200 lumen make that much of a difference. i'm trying to repalce a 300w Mercry vapor light in my driveway/side of house. I have no living on that side of the house so blinding the nieborgs is not an issue. I think I found someone who posted a photo of the Lithonia but I can not find any night photos for the the utilitech. what would be nice is to have over head night photos of each the LED floods and spots so we could compare light output coverage. Any one for that

  2. #2

    Default Re: Which LED Floodlight to choose

    Been reading some pretty spotty reviews on these LED floodlights. Myself, I'd stick to standard incandescent/halogen floodlights and retrofit in LED PAR38 bulbs. Might end up costing a little bit more after buying quality LEDs, especially if you're going with 3-light fixtures, but you get to choose the tint, wattage and lumens of each bulb, and if the bulb fails you can replace just the bulb instead of the entire fixture.

    We've had several of the standard non-LED motion-sensing floodlights working around our house for 10+ to 20+ years now, and none of the fixtures themselves has had a single failure.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Which LED Floodlight to choose

    Thanks for the input and I have thought heavy about going LED bulbs. But I am one of those early adopters [had my first HDTV 13 years ago,. but that another forum] and this light might only get me a few years of use [Dear god I hope so] so I'm still leaning that way and I hope technology will improve so much that this will be a joke in a few years.

    So, that being said, does anyone have experience with either of these lights. I'm now looking into how well or how far the light will cover my driveway [25'x50'], will either of these lights reach the 50' mark. Now I don't plan to be able to read a paper out there but I would like to have guests be able to have enough light to safely get to there cars without tripping as the walk.

  4. #4
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: Which LED Floodlight to choose

    Could you just modify a few mr16 LEDs with a longer cable back to a transformer? I've got some Philips 2700k & 3000k 10w 60 degrees, they have nice colour light, but I think they are more like a 35 watt globe as they were not quite bright enough in our kitchen.

  5. #5
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    374

    Default Re: Which LED Floodlight to choose

    Quote Originally Posted by OLED76 View Post
    I need some input, I'm trying to decied between the Utilitech ES303L42-10 3-Light, 360-degree motion detector area flood light [1929 lumens ] or the Lithonia OFLR 9LC 120 MO BZ similar 3-head design [1,719 lumen ] . My question, does this 200 lumen make that much of a difference. i'm trying to repalce a 300w Mercry vapor light in my driveway/side of house. I have no living on that side of the house so blinding the nieborgs is not an issue. I think I found someone who posted a photo of the Lithonia but I can not find any night photos for the the utilitech. what would be nice is to have over head night photos of each the LED floods and spots so we could compare light output coverage. Any one for that
    anything over 1000 lumens will safely get your guests to their cars no worries. 200 lumens at that high range, really is not much at all in terms of difference. you woudln't notice i dont think if they were side by side.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Which LED Floodlight to choose

    I have read the Cree LED's are a better choice of LED, since the Utilitech ES303L42 is powdered by Cree LEDs should that be a factor in choosing this unit over the Lithonia OFLR 9LC 120 MO BZ? I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here in making up my mind but I have been known to over research things a bit, I blame the analytical in me.

  7. #7
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    374

    Default Re: Which LED Floodlight to choose

    Quote Originally Posted by OLED76 View Post
    I have read the Cree LED's are a better choice of LED, since the Utilitech ES303L42 is powdered by Cree LEDs should that be a factor in choosing this unit over the Lithonia OFLR 9LC 120 MO BZ? I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here in making up my mind but I have been known to over research things a bit, I blame the analytical in me.
    Not sure mate sorry. I stick to incan lights for that type of think. Probably for the same reason why things like car headlights and the light on the cieling in this room is not an LED. Not really suited to light up kitchens or driveways from my limited knowledge.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Which LED Floodlight to choose

    Quote Originally Posted by rambo180 View Post
    Not sure mate sorry. I stick to incan lights for that type of think. Probably for the same reason why things like car headlights and the light on the cieling in this room is not an LED. Not really suited to light up kitchens or driveways from my limited knowledge.
    Do you mean LED can-lights aren't suited for the kitchen? I'd recommend taking a look at the Cree LR-6 and/or DR-1000 units (I prefer 3500k myself). They're beautiful, even lighting.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Which LED Floodlight to choose

    Ok, I realize incan may be the way to go but I'm doing LED, so I need LED advice. So, back the the question at hand, should I pick the Utilitech over the Lithonia based on the fact the Utilitech is using Cree type LEDs and it also has 14 Cree LEDs vs 9 LED of the Lithionia. You'd think 14 vs 9 LEDs would make the choice easy but I still would like input since I'm so neew to this LED market.

  10. #10
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    374

    Default Re: Which LED Floodlight to choose

    Quote Originally Posted by OLED76 View Post
    Ok, I realize incan may be the way to go but I'm doing LED, so I need LED advice. So, back the the question at hand, should I pick the Utilitech over the Lithonia based on the fact the Utilitech is using Cree type LEDs and it also has 14 Cree LEDs vs 9 LED of the Lithionia. You'd think 14 vs 9 LEDs would make the choice easy but I still would like input since I'm so neew to this LED market.

    Its really good you're sticking to your guns. Hope someone out there can help you! These posts will help keep your thread on top in the list (more recent posts). Hopefully someone will see easier and help.

  11. #11
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    374

    Default Re: Which LED Floodlight to choose

    Quote Originally Posted by purduephotog View Post
    Do you mean LED can-lights aren't suited for the kitchen? I'd recommend taking a look at the Cree LR-6 and/or DR-1000 units (I prefer 3500k myself). They're beautiful, even lighting.
    the cree website does have some amazing interior LED lighting. probably costs a bit more than incan, but then again, might be worth it!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Which LED Floodlight to choose

    Ok, I realize incan may be the way to go
    The Cree lights, and increasingly knock-offs that use Cree emitters are virtually indistinguishable from a halogen fixtures in terms of color and light spread.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Which LED Floodlight to choose

    OK, I went ahead and got the Utilitech floodlight with the Cree LED's. I plan to take a photos from an upstairs room overlooking the driveway where the new light will be installed. I will hopefully be able to show the light coverage from the Mercury-vapor currently installed vs theUtilitech. From that height and a few photos from ground level, this should give a good comparison between the two; I will also include all distances of coverage just because I’m anal Not sure how many posts I need to be able topost photos but if its more than seven you see my name a lot.

  14. #14
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    374

    Default Re: Which LED Floodlight to choose

    Quote Originally Posted by OLED76 View Post
    OK, I went ahead and got the Utilitech floodlight with the Cree LED's. I plan to take a photos from an upstairs room overlooking the driveway where the new light will be installed. I will hopefully be able to show the light coverage from the Mercury-vapor currently installed vs theUtilitech. From that height and a few photos from ground level, this should give a good comparison between the two; I will also include all distances of coverage just because I’m anal Not sure how many posts I need to be able topost photos but if its more than seven you see my name a lot.
    OK great. Hope you have an SLR. And maybe some sunglasses for your camera when photographing the LED lit-up driveway so you don't wreck the CCD

  15. #15
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Which LED Floodlight to choose

    I have also been eyeballing that Utilitech LED fixture.. how much room does it require vertically for installation? I have about 16" available and can't find anything online that specifies space required.

  16. #16
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    11,034

    Default Re: Which LED Floodlight to choose

    I'm interested in this fixture also, so I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience with it.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Which LED Floodlight to choose

    Quote Originally Posted by zurmo View Post
    I have also been eyeballing that Utilitech LED fixture.. how much room does it require vertically for installation? I have about 16" available and can't find anything online that specifies space required.
    I measure the current light height and it ~ 13 foot up the wall and the fixture protrudes out about 10". I took photos of what area the current Mercury-vapor [MV] covers so I'm just waiting to install the light, only problem I may have is the manual calls for the junction box [JB] to be recessed. My current MV is on the brick and a wire running to it from a small hole int the mortar. I don't want to start cutting a hole in the brick to mount this light. Now the manual says to use the provided thin 1/8" machine thread screw to attach the fixture onto a small crossbar [provided] you attach to the JB sides, this seems like it is not secure enough to hold the like so I'm going to go longer and put the concert screw through the back of the JB into the brick or mortar. I think a 4 or 5" will do since the hole provided is counter sunk into the cover plate, that should give me about 2" into the wall. This side of the house get all the wind and all storm fronts so I must over do it a bit. I hope to have it up by Thursday but the wife has my time tasked afrter work to other more important projects so it looks like this weekend before its up.
    " ""

  18. #18

    Default Re: Which LED Floodlight to choose

    OK, just a quick update, I was able to put up the Utilitech light today and did some quick playing around with the settings and waited for it to get dark. VERY Nice light, very bright and it projects more light than the M-V. The light is crisp and very white [hight Kelvin fan] and very clean looking, i still have smoe positioning adjustments to do but these are minor. I have photos of the M-V before and need to take the after shoots of the LED. My camera has a longer exposure setting so I used that when taking photo's of the M-V's and you can see the light but they are shaky. I'll need to use a tripod for the new photo's. I have to make some measurements so light output proportions on photos can be better understood. It will be a few days until I get comparison photo's posted, but I can say I'd hands down buy this light again and I will for the other side of the house [next pay day]
    Last edited by OLED76; 08-12-2012 at 08:39 PM.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Which LED Floodlight to choose

    Quote Originally Posted by OLED76 View Post
    OK, just a quick update, I was able to put up the Utilitech light today and did some quick playing around with the settings and waited for it to get dark. VERY Nice light, very bright and it projects more light than the M-V. The light is crisp and very white [hight Kelvin fan] and very clean looking, i still have smoe positioning adjustments to do but these are minor. I have photos of the M-V before and need to take the after shoots of the LED. My camera has a longer exposure setting so I used that when taking photo's of the M-V's and you can see the light but they are shaky. I'll need to use a tripod for the new photo's. I have to make some measurements so light output proportions on photos can be better understood. It will be a few days until I get comparison photo's posted, but I can say I'd hands down buy this light again and I will for the other side of the house [next pay day]
    Hello. My 5 year old halogen 3 head utilitech just bit the dust and am now eyeballing what you have purchased. Mine will be mounting at nearly 18'. Do you recon the sensor on this unit will work ok for that height? Also, utiltech had a lifetime warr. on my old unit, but doubt that the case with this unit. Thx for your advise and info. DM

  20. #20

    Default Re: Which LED Floodlight to choose

    Should be fine, mine is ~13' up so another 5 feet should not make a difference , infact you may get a wider sensor range. i measure the distance I'm currently getting the senor to activate around 50-60 feet. At this point I wish i could have mounted the light higher. Let us know what you do.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •