Built: LED Incapacitor aka: PukeLight

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
Built this light on request from another forum member.

Quick specs:
Mag 3C
4x CREE LEDS Red, White, Blue, Green
4x varying speed strobe regulators 1.05A Red, 1.4A W,B,G
Glass lens

I had expected this build to be mostly about electrical assembly, but the optics that were chosen really threw me a curve. Some major modifications had to be made for all four to fit and there was no margin for error when tapping the holes to mount the stars to the heatsink. I'd have used thermal epoxy instead of screws and grease, but each LED is being overdriven and I wanted to ensure the best possible heatsinking, even though none are constantly on.

I don't have lots of time to go into details, so I'll let the photos tell the build and there's a video of it in action at the bottom. WARNING:video includes strobe effects:

The holders of the optics that were provided to me wouldn't all fit in a standard Mag head. Here, I'm using a PES heatsink to figure out how much needs to be trimmed from each holder:

Holders cut and tested for fit. It's a tight squeeze even with the ID of the head honed out. Some milling for the corners is in order:

Corner cuts "milled" with a dremel, mounting screw holes drilled into heatsink (1/4" AL flat stock):

Holes to mount stars have been tapped and stars are greased and mounted in place. Wiring is up next:

LEDs wired up with a central positive and individual negatives, one for each strobing regulator. Optic holders epoxied into place:

Rear view of head. Red LED neg lead is tagged (Red has lower max current than White, Blue, Green):

Optics snapped into place in holders and heatsink greased and attached to head with 2 screws (holes tapped in head):

Regulators wired up for testing:

Post-test, regulators bonded with sipik thermal compound:

Fully assembled and view of the front:

Video of the light taken with a digital still camera. Paper placed in front of lens half way through to diffuse and eliminate lens flare.
DO NOT WATCH if you are sensitive to strobe effects:

Last edited:

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
I played with it a bit before shipping it out. It didn't make me nauseous, and personally, I don't think that the colors add much to the effect, but the strobing pretty much made it impossible for my eyes to see anything but the LEDs when the light was pointed in my direction. My eyes just couldn't adjust fast enough to compensate. The video at the following link describes its main advantage as causing the perp to look away or shield their eyes with their hands, giving you that extra few seconds and the upper hand. The goal may have been for the light to be completely incapacitating (maybe if you're on drugs), but at best I think it's disorienting. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=932_1271596983