Alpha Magnetic Tripod Mount

archer6817j

Enlightened
I've been dreaming up all kinds of ways to make the Alpha more useful. This certainly isn't a new idea but I made a few of these prototypes for personal use and I'm liking them a lot. Most "mounted" lights I've found are as bad as anything else you can buy in the hardware store. I'll have to say, this comes in pretty handy whether I'm fixing a toilet or replacing the belt on my air compressor.

Here is a link to my blog post with a little more info.

Are these kinds of accessories something y'all would like to see?

joby-light-800.jpg

fyrstormer

Banned
Re: Fooling around in the shop

There is a plastic bracket used to hold red reflectors on the seatposts of bicycles. I use one on the front of my bike to hold a headlight, because it lets me hang the headlight directly below the handlebar stem, perfectly centered instead of mounted off to one side. Unfortunately the only headlight I ever found that fits is really cheap and I'd love to replace it with something better. Maybe you could make an adaptor that would let me mount any flashlight to the plastic bracket?

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jason, when I saw the thread title my immediate response was that we need to keep it family friendly ;)

Other than assorted clamps and attachment systems I can't think of anything. The only issue with your tripod attachment is that there's no way to monitor the heat of the light if someone decides to use the high mode of a freshly charged cell for its full charge.

Fyrstormer, got any pictures? Typical seat posts are 27.2mm and manufacturers who make accessories that attach to them have to accommodate a wide range of diameters.

fyrstormer

Banned

The only issue with your tripod attachment is that there's no way to monitor the heat of the light if someone decides to use the high mode of a freshly charged cell for its full charge.
Sure there is: http://www.telatemp.com/p/494/449-2-reversible-liquid-crystal-thermometer-strip

Fyrstormer, got any pictures? Typical seat posts are 27.2mm and manufacturers who make accessories that attach to them have to accommodate a wide range of diameters.
I do now.

Here's the bracket itself: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046DZUZM/?tag=cpf0b6-20

And here's how I'm using it:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/deusexaethera/bikes/CIMG5291.jpg

Your image is too large and has been replaced with a link. Please resize and repost.
See Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels. - Thanks Norm

The problem is I've only ever seen one light that just happened to have an attachment point close enough to the necessary shape to fit on the bracket securely. A ring clamp that could grab an Alpha Shorty (18350-powered) and bind it to this bracket would be an excellent lighting solution for me.

I've never understood why bicycle lights are made to attach to the handlebars. They will always be off-center that way, and since they usually mount above the handlebars, if the bike gets flipped the lights are guaranteed to be damaged. I like my solution much better.

Last edited by a moderator:

fyrstormer

Banned

So...I had a Eureka moment last week, and I solved my own problem. Details posted in the Bicycle Lighting forum. Just in case you were considering my request, feel free to ignore it henceforth. ;)

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, another tool in the chest. Sometimes you need light and work with both hands. Ever need to change a flat tire in the dark?

I would worry about the clamp scratching the surface of the light. Delrin inerts?

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a little silly responding to my own post, but I was thinking about screw threads on the clip. I have Joby mini pod similar to one shown and it would be easy to use just by screwing the head onto the clip.

archer6817j

Enlightened
That would "work" as I know McGizmo does that with his new clips; however, I think the Alpha is much too large for that. Too much weight and too much leverage if you hold it at the extreme end of the light. I actually work next to a BMW garage and a Jaguar garage. I sent my neighbors up with an alpha and magnetic Joby and they say it's become an indefensible part of their tool kit...they won't give them back :) Are there any mechanics around here that work around iron? Sorry aircraft mechanics :)

Raiden

Newly Enlightened
Mechanic here. That would be an excellent product for the Alpha. The magnets should be strong enough to hold the alpha upside down especially while working under the hood where majority of the work is done. Another idea is having the magnets that have "switches" where you can turn off the magnetism of the battery when you want to reposition the mount without scratching the painted surface of the vehicle(customers doesn't like new scratches).:sssh:

-John

archer6817j

Enlightened
I did forget to mention the Joby with the red feet (pictured in the OP) actually has magnetic feet. It's got plenty of holding power to support the light if you make sure the red toe(?) is perpendicular to the surface so the magnet can do the most work. The added benefit is the feet are coated in rubber so they are no-scratch as long as they don't get loaded with metal chips.

The Joby is of course a tripod with a standard 1/4x20 mounting screw.

Raiden

Newly Enlightened
Today I actually saw this Joby Light in the Matco Tool Truck. I didnt had the chance to try out the stand, just the light which is not up to my standards. Just by the look of the mount, I thought it was kinda flimsy. But if it's actually sturdy enough, this mount would be very handy and especially for those emergency repairs. IE: flat tires at night, leaky sink, blown circuit breaker, etc.