Android phone Battery 100% charge = 4388mV

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always use battery indicator pro, and it is showing my battery when fully charged the voltage is 4388mV , I though anything over 4200mV was damaging to the battery?

So i though the battery voltage must have been reported incorrectly, my phone came with an external battery charger and an extra battery that i charged to 100% in it yesterday, and it`s showing 4.31v measured with an DMM.

So i looks like get as much capacity into the battery and damn the battery life.

All is not lost though, I use an app called battery indicator pro, that you can set multipliable custom alarms, so i can set an alarm when the battery goes above 90% charge and a also when the battery drops below 20% , also it can do the same with temperature and battery health.

I just hope mobiles with built-in non replaceable battery`s take a more pro life/heath strategy.

EDIT : the battery has written on it 3.8v 4.35v 2000mah 7.60Wh , also the external charger show 4.35v , so maybe this voltage is normal.

It`s an li-ion, see pic`s in link.

It came with my new Samsung Galaxy Beam Phone.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/policeman999/side2.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/policeman999/side1.jpg

John.

Last edited:

tam17

Enlightened
Interesting that max. voltage is stated on the battery, since 4.35V sounds a bit too much for a Li-ion. Getting more capacity by overcharging reduces the battery life AFAIK. I don't know about dedicated smartphone batteries but I never let my flashlight Li-ions charge over 4.20V.

Cheers

czAtlantis

Enlightened
It would be interesting to know how much capacity degrades over time/cycles comparing
Standard battery at 4.2V
This "higher voltage" battery charged to 4.35V
This "higher voltage" battery charged to 4.2V

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
Some LiIon batteries does require 4.35 volt for a full charge, both LG and Samsung has them.

Exactly, without knowing the Chemistry of the Cell, the voltage doesn't say that much. 4,35 can be perfectly fine or massively overcharged....

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

USSR

Newly Enlightened
normaly high quality cell phones have 1400-1600mAh .. battery .. but if some one is claiming higher it may be because
1 over charging is allowed .
2 over discharging is allowed
or alone one option ... while maintain high capacity on the cost of reduced life span of the cell ..

or it could be specially formulated one ..

Benik3

Newly Enlightened
In my HTC Evo 3D I have also Li-ion, which is marked 3,8V and charged to 4,3xV (don't know the last number now)