Review of NiteCore SensMini with measurements and outdoor beamshots

HKJ

Flashaholic
[size=+3]NiteCore SensMini[/size]

DSC_2629.jpg

DSC_2694.jpg

NiteCore is a flashlight brand used by Sysmax. This light is the smallest light in the sens series and uses a CR battery. The light is has 3 fixed brightness settings and a new innovative method to select brightness. The light is made of aluminum with hard-anodized (Type 3) finish.

All the sense lights:
DSC_2668.jpg

Mini, CR and AA

My review copy did not include anything, but the light.

DSC_2630.jpg
DSC_2631.jpg
DSC_2632.jpg

The light has a TIR optic, behind a glass lens.

DSC_2640.jpg
DSC_2641.jpg

The battery uses a brass insert with the circuit in. The foam provide anti rattle function and mechanical polarity protection.

DSC_2634.jpg

Both the head and body has some knurling but without any bite in it.

DSC_2642.jpg

The spring in the tail is a special type, without much movement.

DSC_2635.jpg

The tail has holes for an O-ring and the light can also stand on the tail.

BrightnessAdj.png

The user interface uses a tilt sensor, this is used to select between the 3 brightness settings when turning the light on. Holding it horizontal when turning on will give maximum brightness. Pointing slightly down or straight down will select the two other brightness levels. Pointing the light up will enable auto mode, where the light will adjust brightness when direction is changed between vertical and horizontal.
The light uses a slow turn on, i.e. it fades slowly up to the selected level and slowly up/down in auto. Horizontal position does always reach full brightness fast.

DSC_2643.jpg

Here is all the part the light can be disassembled in without tools.

The new user interface is a interesting innovation, it makes it possible to turn a twisty light on in any brightness setting, turning on/off multiple times is not needed. But the interface is not intuitive, I tried the light on a couple of people and none could figure it out, without help.
Using the light I am not so happy about the slow turn on, except for that the sens interface works fine.

[size=+3]Technical specification and measurements[/size]

DSC_3123.jpg

The light can be used with a CR2 battery

Measured size and weight:
Length: 59 mm
Diameter: 18.4 mm to 19.7 mm
Weight: 32 gram with a CR2 battery

The light uses a Cree XP-G R5 led.

Measurements.png

In the above table I have collected all modes, measured at 2.5 volt. All the estimated runtimes are with 750mAh CR2 battery.
Because my test bench requires the light to be locked in a fixed position, I could not compare the different brightness's, this is also the reason I only did one voltage sweep.

NiteCore%20SensMini%20High.png

A voltage sweep at high shows a very good stabilization in the voltage range of a CR2 battery (1.5 volt to 3 volt).

Runtime.png

The good stabilization from the voltage sweeps, does give a nearly flat runtime (The drop on high is probably due to temperature), until the batteries are nearly drained.

There are no flashing modes and the light does not contain any pwm or noise.

[size=+3]Comparison to other Flashlights[/size]

NiteCore EZ CR2, NiteCore SensMini, 4Sevens Qmini CR2:
DSC_2800a.jpg
DSC_2801a.jpg
DSC_2802a.jpg

Fenix E15, 4Sevens Qmini 123, NiteCore SensCR:
DSC_2803a.jpg
DSC_2804a.jpg
DSC_2805a.jpg

For the full comparison to other lights with graphs and beamshots see here

[size=+3]Notes[/size]

The light was supplied by NiteCore for review.

staghater

Newly Enlightened
I have not stopped reviewing lights, but this year the battery reviews (more than 50) has taken a lot of time and reduced the number of lights I have reviewed.

And I want to thank you for your time and effort doing those great reviews.
I really enjoy reading it and please continue with great work :twothumbs

Latest posts