FEELER: Montblanc, Prometheus Lights style

archer6817j

Enlightened
Hey all, just another project I've had on deck for ages. Maybe if there is enough response I'll get off my rear and put this into production.
This is a 3 piece, full size pen, with a screw on cap. Right now the styling is up in the air, the current shape is just what I felt like doing at the time. No particular plan or design in mind. The clip is the same as my Eiger clip but with a shorter main bend. It's held on by a brass button head screw. I'd like to offer these in both Electroless Nickel and Ti. No idea on price but the nickel version will (if I can make enough at once) be around $120 and the Ti will be "proportionately" more. Don't hold me to the pricing but I know people are going to ask :)

So this pen is based around a Montblanc cartridge ($7-$8) in either the FineLiner or RollerBall flavors. Why Montblanc? I know there are a lot of people making pens based around the space pen and Pilot G2...but in my opinion they write like...ahem...insert your own negative. This cartridge writes as well as my lights perform. With respect to the writing quality, that's all Montblanc, I don't take any credit. I just want to put it in a (awesome) package that doesn't start at $350 bucks and isn't already owned by a bazillion people :)

So, any interest?

mont-alpha.jpg

mont-alpha-close-800.jpg

MB-cap-800.jpg

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted on the blog....absolutely awesome. Probably something I'd have to add to my growing pen collection.

-Alex

fyrstormer

Banned
Make it a fountain pen with an ink-level window and you've got a deal. I like things I can reuse without throwing away any parts, and a metal fountain pen would be nice and durable unlike the clear plastic ones I have now.

Pilot internals would be a good choice to fit into a custom fountain pen. They have several models that can use ink cartridges or refillable converters. Montblanc internals would be...cost-prohibitive. Also I've had bad luck with Montblancs refusing to work properly. I love my Pilots though.

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in. I actually might prefer nickel coated aluminum for this due to the lower weight, but would consider the titanium. Like scout, I like the blue rings...

:)

nbp

Flashaholic
Very cool! Will be watching closely. :popcorn:

Ti would be best to add to my Ti EDC combo, so long as it's not outrageously expensive or crazy heavy.

ericb445

Newly Enlightened
Posted on the Blog, I'm down if you keep the brass screw holding the clip on.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
...This cartridge writes as well as my lights perform...

That's quite the compliment!

This is out of my price range, but I sure wish it wasn't. How cool would it be to have a pen that matches my Alpha?

Just a thought, maybe a feeler post on a pen forum would be worth your time. A quick google search turned up:
The Montblanc Forum - The Fountain Pen Network
Pen and Writing Instruments Forum
The Fountain Pen Forum, Your place for fountain pen reviews ...

I hope you end up making these, as I'd like to buy one if I ever get a raise ;)

fyrstormer

Banned
I AM COMPLETELY IN. I'm a huge fan of fine writing instruments.

+1 on the Montblanc refill being excellent.
Odd, because I have a Montblanc rollerball that someone gave me as a college graduation present, and it has to be kept tip-down at all times or the rollerball will be dry when I try to use it. Heck, it runs dry in the middle of writing on a regular basis, and I have to shake it -- hard -- to get fresh ink so I can keep writing. Of course, once I get the ink flowing again, then I have trouble with ink droplets forming on the pen tip. All in all, that pen was a waste of money. (and yes, I did try replacing the cartridge.)

Of all the various ballpoint/rollerball/gel pens I've used, the best has been either the Pilot G2 or the Zebra F-301. Fisher wasn't the worst, but I'm not a fan of thick-ink pens, so I never liked them much.

Last edited:

Megatrowned

Enlightened
!!!That looks Awesome! I love the design that you "just felt like doing". It looks like it must feel really good to hold. I would like to hold that one :twothumbs