Foxfury Rook
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New 1150 Lumen Malkoff Wildcat

Is there a way to rig this up onto a 12V battery?
    I am getting some funny ideas for this.

Default Re: New 1150 Lumen Malkoff Wildcat

Quote Originally Posted by Benchiew View Post
    Is there a way to rig this up onto a 12V battery?
    I am getting some funny ideas for this.
    The website does not give the voltage range but it has big red letters warning that it will with 4 CR123's. I ain't gonna try it!!

Quote Originally Posted by mega_lumens View Post
    Cool. Do you think it will out-throw the M3LT at greater distances?
    As far as overall distance is concerned, it can't come close to the M3LT. The Wildcat puts out a TON of light but it's much more diffuse than what you get out of the Hound Dog or M3LT.

Although the center of the beam was "just about as bright" the others were still very noticeably brighter. I didn't mean to imply that the Wildcat is a "thrower." Poor choice of words on my part. I guess I was just caught up in the moment!

With 17000 lux, the Wildcat should have some good throw to it. The current Wildcat is on my must have list.

It does. It's set up with optics that do a good job of collimating the light into a defined spot, and the sheer power of the light ensures decent distance/throw. If you look at the beam shots over HERE you'll see a comparison with a relative unknown, the "Niwalker NWK550." That light is set up for throw - large, deep, smooth reflector with what looks to be a T6 XML driven to around 600 lumen. The dock you'll see out at the edge of the beam is probably 75 feet - not super long, but it's out there. Behind the dock is the Potomac River, and that dark water just 'eats' any remaining light.

The Wildcat offers as much apparent throw as the Niwalker, but does so while lighting up EVERYTHING in its path - tons of spill.

I need to get back to the beach and shoot the same photo with my new Hound Dog. I do believe the Hound Dog will throw farther - visually it looks to throw farther than the Niwalker (in real use around my house) and has a more focused spot.

You just gotta love 'em both. Malkoff quality putting out more light than most will EVER need!

Quote Originally Posted by kyhunter1 View Post
    With 17000 lux, the Wildcat should have some good throw to it. The current Wildcat is on my must have list.

Flashaholic*

The XPG Hound Dog has about 20k lux, and throws in the neighborhood of 250 yards in the real world.
    I have 3 Wildcats, all different versions, except I don't have this latest V4. They all throw between 150-175 yards in the real world.
    I have a dark street, and it's about 200 yards to the corner. The Wildcats don't make it quite to the corner with the amount of light that I'd prefer, but the Hound Dog makes it across the street into the woods and lights up the trees enough to see if anyone was in there.

I would guess that this latest Wildcat could probably hit around 200 yds or thereabouts. It will probably make it to my street corner.
    But, the Wildcats are about area lighting, not throw. They just have decent throw because of their high power output. And because of that, they are a very useful combination light, because they are area lights which DO have some decent throw, and excellent for general purposes outdoors. My Wildcats are my favorite lights of all.

The funny thing about all these Wildcats that I have is that they are all different enough from each other to have their own attractiveness in their own ways. Even though each new version only had maybe 1-2 db increase in lumen power, they all are very interesting, and worth having.
    I suspect this V4 will have its own 'personality' too, even though it's only about a db and a half more powerful than my V3 is.
    Last edited by twl; 08-27-2012 at 05:24 AM.

hope to get one soon!

This thread inspired me...

E1B w/ VME head and m30wf
    md2 w/ M61W
    MD3 w/ M91W
    MD3 body
    XML Hound Dog
    Warm XML Hound Dog
    Wildcat v4

That v4 wildcat is crazy bright! I'm loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by bwall85 View Post
    This thread inspired me...

E1B w/ VME head and m30wf
    md2 w/ M61W
    MD3 w/ M91W
    MD3 body
    XML Hound Dog
    Warm XML Hound Dog
    Wildcat v4

That v4 wildcat is crazy bright! I'm loving it.
    what case is that? Pelican something?

nice setup man, I love it!
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    what case is that? Pelican something?

nice setup man, I love it!
    Thanks!

Yeah, Pelican 1200

Look at the first page or two of this thread. another member posted pics of their case and I needed to make my own box o' malkoffs

Props to Donn and bwall85 on the "Box o' Malkoff goodness..." I may have to do a bit of shopping.

is that 1150 regulated for 45 min?
    SLPP 4 AA LUX; AT-100 10 LED; ARC AAA P; photon 1;Pewter 2C M@G with LED drop in; NEXTORCH Saint HID; SF E1B; RR 2AAA headlight; Vector 1 MIL CP spotlight: Q-Beam 2 Mil CP spotlight ;Sams HID; L2D RB 100; 6P

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by 2000xlt View Post
    is that 1150 regulated for 45 min?
    I have not gotten mine yet, but all of my other Wildcats are regulated for their rated run times, so I would assume that this one is too.
    Also, the spec is for around a 9v input, which is at the rated 3 x CR123 or 2 x 18500 battery load of the MD3.
    If you use the MD4 body with a pair of 3000mah 18650 batteries, you'll get double the run time.

Looks like they are back in stock...

I've bought a lot of Fenix, Eagletac, Olight, Thrunite, and ZebraLight flashlights, but I just ordered my very first Malkoff flashlight!! Cant' wait!!

Flashaholic*

Just pulled the trigger for a Wildcat and a few other items. This really will be a nice experience. Until now Maelstrom X10 is my brightest flashlight but it will soon be defeated by the new Wildcat. It will also be interesting to compare it to my Wildcat gen1...
    Wanted: Surefire G2 in tan. Tip me!

My collection Photos of my lights

Same here Sh3ngLong. Got the Wildcat and the md4 body and switch. I hope thats the best combo for what I will use the thing for. Either way, looks like folks around here end up with multiple parts and mix and match so gotta start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by t76turbo View Post
    Same here Sh3ngLong. Got the Wildcat and the md4 body and switch. I hope thats the best combo for what I will use the thing for. Either way, looks like folks around here end up with multiple parts and mix and match so gotta start somewhere.
    i'll be doing what you did at some point! (with the MD4 body, too)

i'd imagine two 18650s in the MD4 would give the best runtimes, no?
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    i'll be doing what you did at some point! (with the MD4 body, too)

i'd imagine two 18650s in the MD4 would give the best runtimes, no?
    Two 18650 batteries in an MD4 would give about double the published run time that was based on the MD3 with a pair of 18500.
    So, you'd be looking at about 1.5 hrs - 2 hours of run time on Hi level, instead of 45 min - 1 hr.
    And remember, these have a Lo level too, which is a general purpose brightness that lasts for much much longer than the High level.
    Just a slight twist of the head switches High to Low, or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by twl View Post
    Two 18650 batteries in an MD4 would give about double the published run time that was based on the MD3 with a pair of 18500.
    So, you'd be looking at about 1.5 hrs - 2 hours of run time on Hi level, instead of 45 min - 1 hr.
    And remember, these have a Lo level too, which is a general purpose brightness that lasts for much much longer than the High level.
    That's the way mine is set up. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by t76turbo View Post
    I also got the MD4 body and switch. I think I might get the MD3 body someday just in case I ever need something a little more compact, but yet powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by twl View Post
    thanks!

Flashaholic*

Today I received the new Wildcat. At first I tried to put it on when it was still daylight. Yes, white and bright, but THAT bright? Then I compared with Surefire P2X Fury. Yes, I saw the difference, The Wildcat was really brighter. This shows how deceived one can be if trying a flashlight when it's not dark.
    I waited until it was dark and then compared it to my Wildcat 1st generation. I still like the 1st gen Wildcat with it's wide and even hotspot. But the hotspot intensity of the latest version is MUCH brighter. Ceiling bounce lux initial value was more than twice of my old Wildcat, and then just slightly dropped when the light became warm. But still twice as bright. After have been playing around with the light a while I had it constantly on for maybe 10-15min(partly handheld, partly laying on the table). The brightness was very stable until it started to drop, and I understand it went out of regulation. I felt the light now was very warm and turned it off. Then I picked out the Titanium Innovation triple pack, which was burning hot!
    It felt a bit scary actually and I thought about the risks I read about with lithium batteries. Did I hold a bomb in my hand?...
    However, my intention is to use the new Wildcat with 2x18650s, and I guess these will not be as hot as 3xCR123. Is that correct?
    Last edited by Swedpat; 09-25-2012 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
    Today I received the new Wildcat. At first I tried to put it on when it was still daylight. Yes, white and bright, but THAT bright? Then I compared with Surefire P2X Fury. Yes, I saw the difference, The Wildcat was really brighter. This shows how deceived one can be if trying a flashlight when it's not dark.
    How did the Wildcat compare to the Fury in the dark?
    "It used to be 'Merkwuerdigliebe'"

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
    How did the Wildcat compare to the Fury in the dark?
    I have not still compared them outdoors, but the Wildcat has an impressive hotspot; much larger AND much brighter than Fury. I was impressed of the throw of Fury despite the large hotspot(outthrows Fenix LD41 and is pretty close to TK15 S2). Wildcat throws even further and at the same time with larger area. The Wildcat has no real edge of the spill like the reflector beam of Fury. Instead the spill(similar to the M60 beam) gradually softens of and illuminates practically everything(at shorter distance) towards the sides. In real dark circumstances this kind of beam character is really nice and useful. The gen1 Wildcat was(and still is) impressive outdoors. This newest version will be significantly more impressive. Indoors it shines up practically an entire room with no dark area.

Thanks!
    "It used to be 'Merkwuerdigliebe'"

This thread has inspired me. I order these two animals the other day

Now I need a Pelican case!!!

S1LVA
    I used to be afraid of the dark. Now, the dark is afraid of me.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by S1LVA View Post
    This thread has inspired me. I order these two animals the other day

Now I need a Pelican case!!!

S1LVA
    Killer pair of lights!

I finally broke down and bought the Hound Dog XML.
    Now I have 3 Wildcats, V1, V2, and V3, and a Hound Dog XPG and a Hound Dog XML.
    I am saving up to get the V4 Wildcat to complete my Malkoff light extravaganza!

UPDATE! ....I got the Pelican case. I went with the 1200.

S1LVA
    I used to be afraid of the dark. Now, the dark is afraid of me.

Quick question from a CPF newbie!

I was thinking about getting the new Wildcat with an MD4 body and I see that you can only use 3 CR123 primaries. I assume with the MD4 you would need some sort of spacer for it to work? Would the CR123A dummy cell from battery junction do the trick or is there something better?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Xealot; 09-28-2012 at 04:07 PM.