AA or AAA in your BOB?

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
I originally wanted only AA because it's easier to carry 1 type of battery rather than carrying 2 different type. I decided on AA due to most devices uses AA, like AA to USB charger, AA 2-way radio, AA flashlight, etc.

Then I upgraded my headlamp from Princeton Tec EOS (2004) to EOS (2011) so I put the 2004 model in the BOB and put an extra set of battery. Now, I'm thinking of getting a small AAA shortwave radio to put in the BOB. But that mean breaking my list of AA list of stuffs and I would need 2 full set of batteries.

I could go with only AAA and have an AAA to AA converter but that's mean I need to carry a very large amount of AAA.

What battery do you guys have in your BOB and why?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Normally, I don't care about standardization. But for my BOB, I went with AA. I also own a Princeton Tec EOS. It's currently in my BOB. But seriously considering removing it for use as an emergency light in my car.

Main reason is that my emergency radio / receiver runs off of two AA cells. A jumbo Tick-Tack container will hold three AA cells vertically, as if it was made for them. The container itself is a perfect fit in one of the small outside pockets of my BOB. I keep the batteries out of the radio since it's designed for alkalines. (Don't want them just sitting in there for years until they leak and ruin the radio.) So that's two batteries for the radio, and one left over. I've decided to start EDCing my original Nitecore EZAA model again, on my keychain. So if the lithium AA in it runs out, I've got that one left over AA alkaline I can toss into my Nitecore.

The main light that lives in my BOB is a 2AA LED Enercell model with a side-switch. Single mode. Quite bright. Perfect fit in the outside flashlight / umbrella pouch that is part of my BOB. I can grab it quicker than one of the lights that usually lives in my pockets, when I'm carrying my BOB. I can loan it out to a friend or loved one traveling with me during an emergency. It can also be grabbed quickly and used as a kubaton if needed. Plus, it was relatively cheap. (Bought it at Radio Shack.) If I lose it, I'm not going to care. I can also, take the AA cells out of it and use it in my emergency radio if the situation ends up lasting much longer than expected.

AA just works best for me in my BOB.

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both in mine. Mos tof my favored lights are AAA, but my radio is AA, so I bit the bullet and added a single cell AA light and a single cell Cr123 light in case I was reduced to scrounging. Both were lights that I never use anymore but are perfectly serviceable still so it gave them new life.

CMAG

Enlightened
+1 AA fit radio, lamps, steripen can be scrounged bartered pink bunny primary lipo's have 15 year shelf life
I keep a AAA and 123a also but as backup

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
That's a great idea. I've put my Princeton Tec EOS (2004) in one car and Petzl Tikka XP (2005) in the other car. We all get flat tire at one time or the other and having a headlamp should help if it happens at night.

Now my BOB is AAA free :)

Normally, I don't care about standardization. But for my BOB, I went with AA. I also own a Princeton Tec EOS. It's currently in my BOB. But seriously considering removing it for use as an emergency light in my car.

Slazmo

Enlightened
Both AA & AAA - but can get annoying when you need batteries and have them separated...

Most AAA lights take 3 AAA's and the Mini Mag's take 2 AA's - so i've had to count out the batteries I'll need so that I dont end up with 2 spare AAA's or 1 spare AA in the end which will be utterly useless in case of SHTF...

junkyardrules

Newly Enlightened
I keep AA batteries only in my BOB and get home bag. AAA's are typically just as easy to find as AA's but simplicity and commonality are beautiful things. Same reason I stick with common calibers (.22LR, 9mm, 5.56, 12ga). At the end of the day though, I think it comes down to personal preference. I doubt there are many practical reasons why you couldn't have both as long as you are prepared