New laptop battery not charging

andyapeets

Newly Enlightened
I bought a new laptop battery last week.
HP G60 Replacement Battery
However, the battery didn't recharge. Is there a way to diagnose whether the issue is with the battery, or with the computer; short of finding another laptop that uses the same battery?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

You can check that there is voltage output from the wall transformer you are using .

Will it power the computer without the battery inserted ? Can they do that ?

~

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a new laptop battery last week.
HP G60 Replacement Battery
However, the battery didn't recharge. Is there a way to diagnose whether the issue is with the battery, or with the computer; short of finding another laptop that uses the same battery?
Put the new battery in and put the laptop on charge and after a few minutes try to switch the laptop on ... Does the laptop work ? ... If it works , switch the mains power off ... Does the laptop still work or does it go off straight away ? ... The laptop display should show how much battery life you have got left.

Did your old battery gradually lose capacity or did it just die ? ... Can you check that your charger is definitely working OK ? ... Use a volt-meter if possible ... Also , check the voltage of the old battery as well as the new battery ... You might need a new charger or it might be an actual computer problem.

Have you looked at "faultfinding on laptops" on the internet ? ... Try to Google it.

Good luck.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The most common problem in a case like this is the charger itself. Usually the user discovers a failed charger problem because the existing laptop battery ran down w/o being noticed.

However, given that the charger is functional, it appears that you did purchase an after-market laptop battery - meaning not from HP. Hence the most likely problem is the lack of the appropriate chip in the new "replacement" battery - which is not directly from HP. Many laptop manufacturers are now installing an authentication function in their laptop battery packs and the corresponding verification feature in the laptop. Upon booting the laptop, a simple verification check of the battery is conducted, even if powered by the charger. If the battery is not from HP, then the laptop will not complete the boot process and shut down. The laptop will continue to operate if the system was only on standby or you hot-swapped the battery when the verification process is not conducted. There is no alternative except to return the battery and correctly claim that it is not compatible.

I first ran in to this problem with Toshiba Tecra laptops (business class laptop) and several so-called hi-capacity 12-cell batteries that I purchased. I used them in the never-boot condition for a while - really irritating since the standard answer to most MS Windows operational updates or problems is the re-boot. I also discovered that the cells in these lower-cost laptop batteries were cheap, really cheap, cells. I recycled all of them far sooner than the standard laptop batteries from Toshiba.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
andyapeets: I forgot to welcome you to the Candlepower Forums! There is a lot of good information available. Just use the search function at the top left on your window and note that the "CPF Only" button has been checked for you. Many of the stickies listed at the top of the forums contain many more stickies.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
$15 for a 6 cell battery? Thats like trusting your family in brand new sedan selling for $1400.

Get that returned as soon as possible and find something more expensive.

Last edited:

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
OP,

I had a similar problem. My Dell laptop battery died out. I ran on AC power for about a year. Then finally, I ordered a cheapie on Amazon. It wouldn't charge. I ordered another cheapie on Amazon. Still wouldn't charge. I knew the AC adapter was good, the computer would run on the AC adapter, and I had 2 of 'em that worked fine. Contacted the manufacturer of the second cheapie. He had me change some settings in the operating system that ran the battery completely dead. Discharged way beyond what it was supposed to be. The goal was to "shock" the new battery into charging. That didn't work. A friend went into my computer and found that the charging circuit on the motherboard was fried. This is a common issue. If you run with a bad battery in a laptop on AC power, you run the risk of damaging the charging circuit on the motherboard.

If the pieces fit together, this could be your issue. My solution? New motherboard? Heeeeck no! Way too expensive and too much trouble. I ordered an external battery charger for my specific laptop battery. Where? Amazon of course! Now since I have 2 batteries and an external charger, one is charging while one is running my laptop. I also have another laptop now too. Why? The external battery charger was my second idea. A new laptop was my first. Either way you look at it, problem solved.

Good luck!

Last edited:

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
Basically, in short, you can buy an external charger for your laptop battery. If it charges, the problem is the laptop. If it doesn't charge, the problem is the battery. External chargers can be had for not too much money on ebay and/or amazon. Short of that, you really can't be SURE. All you can do is try to "shock" the battery from my understanding.

buds224

Enlightened
Another suggestion is if your computer has the capability of using a docking station, that would work too. The AC power goes through the docking port rather than the usual AC port that may/may not be damaged.

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
Another suggestion is if your computer has the capability of using a docking station, that would work too. The AC power goes through the docking port rather than the usual AC port that may/may not be damaged.

I'm not familiar with docking ports. That's a neat concept. Does the power go directly from the docking port into the battery as it does with the stand-alone chargers? In other words, to use my charger I must remove the battery from the laptop and plug connect it to the charger. Does the docking station somehow make contact with the battery VS. plugging into the laptop? That's a pretty nifty set-up if it does!

buds224

Enlightened
Yeah, basically the docking station would have its own AC port. When you dock the laptop to it, it will draw power from it. Thus no need to use a traditional AC port of the laptop. It's originally intended to make it easier to plug your laptop to a separate monitor, keyboard and mouse, but I've known many instances where a used/refurb docking station is the cheapest solution.....and also OEM original.