Battery Junction - Olight
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10A Forward clickie??

Default 10A Forward clickie??

Hi all,

I need to find a forward click push button switch that can carry at least 6-10A. I want the switch to work like a maglite switch, an on-off click with momentary.

Thanks
    In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
    Shorty C/D M*glites

Default Re: 10A Forward clickie??

Quote Originally Posted by vestureofblood View Post
    Hi all,

I need to find a forward click push button switch that can carry at least 6-10A. I want the switch to work like a maglite switch, an on-off click with momentary.

Thanks
    After long search, still couldn't find such a thing.
    Maximum official recommended current I could find is 2 Amps for forward clicky switch which I tested with 5.5 Amps no problem so far.
    If you really need forward clicky 10 Amps, your best choice will be combination of 2 Amps forward clicky and electronic boost.

Did you check digikey? I'd been looking for such a switch a while ago and had this still bookmarked:
    http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail...152-ND/2349747
    pdf data sheet:
    http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/CW%20Industries%20PDFs/GPB527C2L02Bx1.pdf

That is the canadian site but I imagine you could check the US one if needed and find a similar or same product.

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty[hk] View Post
    +1 but Is VanIsleDSM still around

Quote Originally Posted by vestureofblood
    Hi all,

Thanks
    I don't mean to thread jack but I'm looking for the same switch but it needs to fit in a C threaded tailcap or a McCooly. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as well. Good luck!
    This is my signature. They're many like it but this one is mine..

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo_331 View Post
    I don't mean to thread jack but I'm looking for the same switch but it needs to fit in a C threaded tailcap or a McCooly. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as well. Good luck!
    I'm interested as well
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

The FETtie from what I see is a FET powered switch, it uses a MOSFET that can take high currents and an actual forward clickie to activate the switch. There's a coin cell built into the switch, and when you press the switch, it activated the MOSFET and allows current to flow. The MOSFET is activated by the voltage of the coin cell and uses very little power. All that info was on the thread, and from the sounds of it, it might not be too hard to do yourself and actual size depends on the components you pick.

I'm assuming that the drain and source of the MOSFET are connected to where the normal switch will be and the clickie is used to power the gate via the coin cell. Search MOSFET switch on google and you should get a good idea of how I think it works.
    Last edited by Gunner12; 07-31-2012 at 05:27 PM.

What's the switch for? The maglite in my signature is pulling 8A+ from the batteries and is running through the stock maglite switch without any issues (so far and touch wood)...

Of course if you need it to use in a non-mag host then I have no idea!

- Matt
    Last edited by Mattaus; 07-31-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner12
    The FETtie from what I see is a FET powered switch, it uses a MOSFET that can take high currents and an actual forward clickie to activate the switch. There's a coin cell built into the switch, and when you press the switch, it activated the MOSFET and allows current to flow. The MOSFET is activated by the voltage of the coin cell and uses very little power. All that info was on the thread, and from the sounds of it, it might not be too hard to do yourself and actual size depends on the components you pick.

I'm assuming that the drain and source of the MOSFET are connected to where the normal switch will be and the clickie is used to power the gate via the coin cell. Search MOSFET switch on google and you should get a good idea of how I think it works.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but, to my knowledge, a forward clicky was supposedly being designed but was never released. The only version of the FETie is a reverse clicky design.
    This is my signature. They're many like it but this one is mine..

It should work with any switch type, since the switch just connects the Gate of the MOSFET with the coin cell. Momentary, forward clickie, blade switch, a paper clip, all of those should work as long as they connect the activation voltage to the gate. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, just remembering stuff from my Intro to Electronics class.

Quote Originally Posted by fivemega View Post
    After long search, still couldn't find such a thing.
    Maximum official recommended current I could find is 2 Amps for forward clicky switch which I tested with 5.5 Amps no problem so far.
    If you really need forward clicky 10 Amps, your best choice will be combination of 2 Amps forward clicky and electronic boost.
    Having to choose between having momentary and having super low resistance ( like in a 10A switch) is a tough call. I appreciate you chiming in on this one FM.

Quote Originally Posted by yazovyet View Post
    Did you check digikey? I'd been looking for such a switch a while ago and had this still bookmarked:
    http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail...152-ND/2349747
    pdf data sheet:
    http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/CW%20Industries%20PDFs/GPB527C2L02Bx1.pdf

That is the canadian site but I imagine you could check the US one if needed and find a similar or same product.
    That switch is only an OFF-momentary, not really a "cickie" at all. Thank you for your input though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattaus View Post
    What's the switch for? The maglite in my signature is pulling 8A+ from the batteries and is running through the stock maglite switch without any issues (so far and touch wood)...

Of course if you need it to use in a non-mag host then I have no idea!

- Matt
    The switch will be fore a new type of M@g mod I will be producing in the coming weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner12 View Post
    It should work with any switch type, since the switch just connects the Gate of the MOSFET with the coin cell. Momentary, forward clickie, blade switch, a paper clip, all of those should work as long as they connect the activation voltage to the gate. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, just remembering stuff from my Intro to Electronics class.
    I really dont want to have to build all the switches I need for this run, but since you mentioned this. Am I correct in assuming that if the source voltage is lower than 5 volts that I could just use the battery in the light for Gate rather than a coin cell?
    In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
    Shorty C/D M*glites

Just took a quick peak at some MOSFETs through mouser's site (10-20A MOSFETs). Many of the MOSFETs seem to have a gate to source beakdown voltage of 10-20v. Assuming the source is connected to ground, as long as your gate actvation voltage does not exceed the breakdown voltage, the MOSFET should be fine, assmung I remember my class correctly...

As long as your batteries total to lower then the gate-source beakdown voltage, you should be fine. Make sure to use the peak voltage of the fully charged battery, so 4.3 v fo Li-ions and 1.5v for NiMh for a little bit of buffer.

They aren't too expensive at $0.40-$1 for one, not cheap either, but you could test with a few to see how well you like them. Check the specs before you buy of course.
    Last edited by Gunner12; 08-01-2012 at 06:17 AM.

I had been planning to eventually order one of those (link I had perviously posted) and thought it was momentary-on from this part of the PDF:http://imageshack.us/f/862/newbitmapimagef.jpg . If it isn't momentary on how do I read it to say that it is mome-off?

Had a similar dilemma with tape switches handling high amps. Used IRLB3034 fet & CR2016 battery to power it.

transitor it? (switch it on the base current maybe).

My apologies in advance for being wrong. The only 10A momentary switches I know of that would fit inside a stock maglite switch housing are the Jucdo 40-4316-00 and 40-4675-00. If these are not forward clicky.... well, my bad.

Welcome to the party OL. I struggle a bit to unravel all the technical info on this stuff myself. I think those that say On-Mom work only as long as the switch is held down. I think what we are looking for would say ON-Mom-Off.

Lets take a bit of a look at this MOSFET thing. Am I understanding this correctly? To use the MOSFET I would hook S to the battery - D to the LED driver and then run Gate through a clikie switch to the battery - ?

Also on the data sheets for those MOSFET I was looking at the gate source voltage and it has a + symbol over the top of a - or an _ then 15V max. What does that mean?

Here is the particular sheet I was looking at, its for a mosfet I found in an old computer.
    http://www.ic-on-line.cn/view_online...3lt_221536.pdf
    Shorty C/D M*glites

The switch you are looking to replace a Mag switch may end up being the Mag switch

Mag D witch, forward clickie, can handle 9A after resistance mod. I had this light for over a yr before I sold it. It had a mag stock switch. Resistance mod on everything except the core ring. With fresh batteries, it starts out close to 9A.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...00-lux-1-meter!
    My Mods.. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...5&postcount=78
    Hobby only, I don't do custom mods as a service, thanks for understanding.

Will the Petrev/JimmyM MOSFET D Mag switch mod work? It's a fairly simple switch mod, although you do need a Kiu socket kit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ma_sha1 View Post
    The switch you are looking to replace a Mag switch may end up being the Mag switch

Mag D witch, forward clickie, can handle 9A after resistance mod. I had this light for over a yr before I sold it. It had a mag stock switch. Resistance mod on everything except the core ring. With fresh batteries, it starts out close to 9A.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...00-lux-1-meter!
    I did recall seeing a thread on modding the Mag switch to take high currents but I can't seem to find the thread. I do remember solder wick being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Will the Petrev/JimmyM MOSFET D Mag switch mod work? It's a fairly simple switch mod, although you do need a Kiu socket kit as well.
    That circuit diagram was how I pictured it, except with different resistor values, the gate shouldn't require much current to activate. You might be able to make is smaller depending on the size of your parts. You might not need a PCB, but then you'll have to be careful of shorts. Also, if you are using a maglite, switch the spring to a lower resistance one.

If you use the IRF2804, you'll probably need to use a PCB around 30mm diam, which means a Kiu D Mag kit. If you use a small MOSFET like the IRLR7843, you can fit the works on a 20mm diam PCB, which allows you to use a Kiu C Mag kit. What Vbatt will you have and are looking for a D Mag or C Mag sized switch?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner12 View Post
    I did recall seeing a thread on modding the Mag switch to take high currents but I can't seem to find the thread. I do remember solder wick being used.
    Probably this thread.

Ok I guess I should have mentioned that this is going to be in the tail cap of a mag D. When I was thinking of using the mosfet I didnt realize that the gate connection had to be wired to both battery + and -. I dont want to have to use a coin cell for this like in VanIsleDSMs switch. I also still dont understand what the purpose of the resistors is like shown here
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...jimmymos7.jpg/
    Shorty C/D M*glites

The upper resistor will both "limit" the charging current of the gate capacitor and - which is actually way more important - the combination of the two resistors represents what is called a "voltage divider". It's a simple way to limit the gate voltage - hence the note that that resistor is needed at voltages close or above 20V. Not having the upper resistor would mean that there is no voltage drop thus charging the gate to the full battery voltage. The lower resistor, however, also serves a second purpose: Once you open the switch you definitely want no more current to flow through the FET. This resistor allows the gate capacitor to quickly discharge. This results in faster switch-off times and less heat build-up due to having only a "halfway open" FET at some point during gate discharge.

There's also this thread in the Custom Builder section. Switch out the reed switch for what you want to use.

Those two resistors, as D0do said, are voltage dividers, so the MOSFET gate doesn't get hit with the full voltage of the battery and also to discharge the gate capacitor. If you battery voltage is withing ±15v, then you don't need the top resistor (the gate will be fine with the voltage of the battery). ±15v max ata the gate just mean don't go over + 15v or - 15v at the gate with ground as the 0v reference.

Ok I guess I should have mentioned that this is going to be in the tail cap of a mag D.
    Why a tail switch? Will the D Mag be cut down to a manageable length/weight? Otherwise, it would seem very unwieldy to have a big, heavy D Mag cantilevered out like that, holding on to just the tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Why a tail switch? Will the D Mag be cut down to a manageable length/weight? Otherwise, it would seem very unwieldy to have a big, heavy D Mag cantilevered out like that, holding on to just the tail.
    Yep
    Shorty C/D M*glites

Ok I guess I should have mentioned that this is going to be in the tail cap of a mag D.
    You can use the Mag D switch core to build a Mag D tail switch.
    My Mods.. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...5&postcount=78
    Hobby only, I don't do custom mods as a service, thanks for understanding.

Last edited by Justin Case; 08-04-2012 at 10:07 AM.