10A Forward clickie??

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I need to find a forward click push button switch that can carry at least 6-10A. I want the switch to work like a maglite switch, an on-off click with momentary.

Thanks

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I need to find a forward click push button switch that can carry at least 6-10A. I want the switch to work like a maglite switch, an on-off click with momentary.

Thanks
After long search, still couldn't find such a thing.
Maximum official recommended current I could find is 2 Amps for forward clicky switch which I tested with 5.5 Amps no problem so far.
If you really need forward clicky 10 Amps, your best choice will be combination of 2 Amps forward clicky and electronic boost.

Diablo_331

Enlightened
vestureofblood said:
Hi all,

Thanks

I don't mean to thread jack but I'm looking for the same switch but it needs to fit in a C threaded tailcap or a McCooly. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as well. Good luck!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The FETtie from what I see is a FET powered switch, it uses a MOSFET that can take high currents and an actual forward clickie to activate the switch. There's a coin cell built into the switch, and when you press the switch, it activated the MOSFET and allows current to flow. The MOSFET is activated by the voltage of the coin cell and uses very little power. All that info was on the thread, and from the sounds of it, it might not be too hard to do yourself and actual size depends on the components you pick.

I'm assuming that the drain and source of the MOSFET are connected to where the normal switch will be and the clickie is used to power the gate via the coin cell. Search MOSFET switch on google and you should get a good idea of how I think it works.

Last edited:

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the switch for? The maglite in my signature is pulling 8A+ from the batteries and is running through the stock maglite switch without any issues (so far and touch wood)...

Of course if you need it to use in a non-mag host then I have no idea!

- Matt

Last edited:

Diablo_331

Enlightened
Gunner12 said:
The FETtie from what I see is a FET powered switch, it uses a MOSFET that can take high currents and an actual forward clickie to activate the switch. There's a coin cell built into the switch, and when you press the switch, it activated the MOSFET and allows current to flow. The MOSFET is activated by the voltage of the coin cell and uses very little power. All that info was on the thread, and from the sounds of it, it might not be too hard to do yourself and actual size depends on the components you pick.

I'm assuming that the drain and source of the MOSFET are connected to where the normal switch will be and the clickie is used to power the gate via the coin cell. Search MOSFET switch on google and you should get a good idea of how I think it works.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, to my knowledge, a forward clicky was supposedly being designed but was never released. The only version of the FETie is a reverse clicky design.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It should work with any switch type, since the switch just connects the Gate of the MOSFET with the coin cell. Momentary, forward clickie, blade switch, a paper clip, all of those should work as long as they connect the activation voltage to the gate. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, just remembering stuff from my Intro to Electronics class.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
After long search, still couldn't find such a thing.
Maximum official recommended current I could find is 2 Amps for forward clicky switch which I tested with 5.5 Amps no problem so far.
If you really need forward clicky 10 Amps, your best choice will be combination of 2 Amps forward clicky and electronic boost.

Having to choose between having momentary and having super low resistance ( like in a 10A switch) is a tough call. I appreciate you chiming in on this one FM.

Did you check digikey? I'd been looking for such a switch a while ago and had this still bookmarked:
http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/GPB527C2L02BR1/CW152-ND/2349747
pdf data sheet:
http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/CW%20Industries%20PDFs/GPB527C2L02Bx1.pdf

That is the canadian site but I imagine you could check the US one if needed and find a similar or same product.

That switch is only an OFF-momentary, not really a "cickie" at all. Thank you for your input though.

What's the switch for? The maglite in my signature is pulling 8A+ from the batteries and is running through the stock maglite switch without any issues (so far and touch wood)...

Of course if you need it to use in a non-mag host then I have no idea!

- Matt

The switch will be fore a new type of M@g mod I will be producing in the coming weeks.

It should work with any switch type, since the switch just connects the Gate of the MOSFET with the coin cell. Momentary, forward clickie, blade switch, a paper clip, all of those should work as long as they connect the activation voltage to the gate. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, just remembering stuff from my Intro to Electronics class.

I really dont want to have to build all the switches I need for this run, but since you mentioned this. Am I correct in assuming that if the source voltage is lower than 5 volts that I could just use the battery in the light for Gate rather than a coin cell?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Just took a quick peak at some MOSFETs through mouser's site (10-20A MOSFETs). Many of the MOSFETs seem to have a gate to source beakdown voltage of 10-20v. Assuming the source is connected to ground, as long as your gate actvation voltage does not exceed the breakdown voltage, the MOSFET should be fine, assmung I remember my class correctly...

As long as your batteries total to lower then the gate-source beakdown voltage, you should be fine. Make sure to use the peak voltage of the fully charged battery, so 4.3 v fo Li-ions and 1.5v for NiMh for a little bit of buffer.

They aren't too expensive at $0.40-$1 for one, not cheap either, but you could test with a few to see how well you like them. Check the specs before you buy of course.

Last edited:

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
Had a similar dilemma with tape switches handling high amps. Used IRLB3034 fet & CR2016 battery to power it.

Old-Lumens

Newly Enlightened
My apologies in advance for being wrong. The only 10A momentary switches I know of that would fit inside a stock maglite switch housing are the Jucdo 40-4316-00 and 40-4675-00. If these are not forward clicky.... well, my bad.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the party OL. I struggle a bit to unravel all the technical info on this stuff myself. I think those that say On-Mom work only as long as the switch is held down. I think what we are looking for would say ON-Mom-Off.

Lets take a bit of a look at this MOSFET thing. Am I understanding this correctly? To use the MOSFET I would hook S to the battery - D to the LED driver and then run Gate through a clikie switch to the battery - ?

Also on the data sheets for those MOSFET I was looking at the gate source voltage and it has a + symbol over the top of a - or an _ then 15V max. What does that mean?

Here is the particular sheet I was looking at, its for a mosfet I found in an old computer.
http://www.ic-on-line.cn/view_online.php?id=1064429&file=0027\phd98n03lt_221536.pdf

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast