Can't Get an HDS - what is another good EDC light w/tactical interface?

Rolex John

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately, HDS lights are sold out everywhere - the interface allows for an instant on that's perfect for use with a handgun in low-light situations.

Any recommendations for a 2nd choice? Something in roughly the same size with a true tactical interface?

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know; what do you consider a "true" tactical interface?

Personally speaking, for handgun use with similar size, L1 Lumamax should definitely be considered. The size is just right, and the heavy knurling and switch protusion provide good ergonomics for all major grip techniques. Granted, its output isn't the brightest, but it's more than enough to light up targets that are within effective range.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cool tactical hds clickies have got to be becoming readily available.
Elzetta lights have a couple different tailcap options that are tailored for high stress usage.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
IMO it's hard to beat a Surefire C2 with high output drop in. Press the black button to light up the target, press the blue steel button to ... light up the target :)

Rolex John

Newly Enlightened
The cool tactical hds clickies have got to be becoming readily available.
Elzetta lights have a couple different tailcap options that are tailored for high stress usage.

I checked their website - do they make a tactical rotary in a one cell size? That M60 looks perfect but quite big for EDC.

Rolex John

Newly Enlightened
Will that HO drop in for the C2 get the output to 200 + lumens?

Last edited:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have absolutely no relation to this seller, but there is an HDS High CRI Legacy up on CPF Marketplace right now for less than I paid for mine 6 months ago (and it looks like this one is in better condition).
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...S-Systems-EDC-Clicky-High-CRI-**PRICE-DROP!**

If you can live with the 100lm high and the floodier beam of the big SSC P4 emitter, this is an amazing light. I'd rank it only slightly behind the (now) classic 170Cn Clicky model.

Rolex John

Newly Enlightened
I have absolutely no relation to this seller, but there is an HDS High CRI Legacy up on CPF Marketplace right now for less than I paid for mine 6 months ago (and it looks like this one is in better condition).
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?274319-HDS-Systems-EDC-Clicky-High-CRI-**PRICE-DROP!**

If you can live with the 100lm high and the floodier beam of the big SSC P4 emitter, this is an amazing light. I'd rank it only slightly behind the (now) classic 170Cn Clicky model.

I appreciate it - I did see that, and my preference in HDS would be for a 200 lumen rotary model.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
... perfect for use with a handgun in low-light situations.

For concealed carry there are both flashlight holsters & flashlight + mag holsters. Galco makes a nice one (everything Galco is superb):

Image-9853934-164138989-2-Web_0_5f89018179f8ac3bffbbb5c1b925c4d5_1

Any 1" barrel diameter light will fit & that includes Surefire 6P, G2, C2, etc. A 6P or C2 in this holster carries well, as does the spare mag.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=2009&GunID=49

Rolex John

Newly Enlightened
For concealed carry there are both flashlight holsters & flashlight + mag holsters. Galco makes a nice one (everything Galco is superb):

Image-9853934-164138989-2-Web_0_5f89018179f8ac3bffbbb5c1b925c4d5_1

Any 1" barrel diameter light will fit & that includes Surefire 6P, G2, C2, etc. A 6P or C2 in this holster carries well, as does the spare mag.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=2009&GunID=49

Part of the EDC requirement is that the light is pocket-able in an office environment. Can't carry there, so I don't need a light to carry in a holster with extra magazine. But thanks for the info.

precisionworks

Flashaholic

Rolex John

Newly Enlightened
Ahhh, that's the reason you started looking for an HDS ...

Have you looked at the Mac's Customs Tri EDC? Small & light (but not inexpensive). This one is a bargain at $225 http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?339624-Mac-s-cerakoted-tri-edc&highlight=tri+edc

Intriguing....I'm not familiar with this one.

Mac's site is down - what is the lumen output on the three modes?

Also, I'm looking for something with a tactical instant on UI. Can the tail cap button be set up to do instant on ONLY? In other words, no matter how hard I press, it will not click and stay on...power cuts when pressure on the tail button is released.

nbp

Flashaholic
No, Mac uses a forward clicky. Momentary only buttons are kinda unusual. What about building some kind of 1x123 P60 host with a SF momentary tailcap and a Nailbender dropin?

Rolex John

Newly Enlightened
No, Mac uses a forward clicky. Momentary only buttons are kinda unusual. What about building some kind of 1x123 P60 host with a SF momentary tailcap and a Nailbender dropin?

Assuming I'm smart enough to do that (which I question) how much would something like that cost?

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming I'm smart enough to do that (which I question) how much would something like that cost?

It wouldn't cost too much and is not difficult to do. If all you want is 200 lumens output I would say you could put something together for as little as $50 or up to whatever amount you want to spend. If going this route you may consider one of the Moddoolar body systems.

As mentioned before the Surefire L1 is a great light and if you get one that can handle rechargeable batteries, the output can be right in the neighborhood of what you are looking for. I love the L1.

Finally, I almost hate to mention this, but Surefire is supposed to be releasing a new version of the Backup series light. Knowing how Surefire is this could happen next week, next month, next year, or never. The style, size, and output sounds right for you and it is supposed to be offered with a choice of switches, one of which is similar to what you described. Let's all hope for the best and for this to be released soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

precisionworks

Flashaholic
You may want to contact Will Q at wquiles AT gmail DOT com. Will is an excellent custom modder & very familiar with projects like this. Super detailed so he may write up a twelve page thesis giving you a dozen choices ... but he leaves no stone unturned.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Novatac, the ones made in America are similar to HDS, but only come with the sscp4 emitter and 120 lumens.
I have the china made Storm and SO and the momentary on is pretty sweet. Not programable like the American models

If the modder mentioned above doesn't work out for you, MilkySpit does some crazy cool mods.
An L1

precisionworks

Flashaholic
... only come with the sscp4 emitter and 120 lumens.
Way back when (2008 or so) the SSC P4 was the best of the best & 120L was a huge number. NovaTac made a superb light (I owned two of them) & you may be pleasantly surprised with "only" 120L.

MilkySpit does some crazy cool mods.
+1

Anything Scott touches comes out super bright. There's often a Milky modded light on The Marketplace.