BlackShadow

Thread: Thinking of getting a Tri EDC, anyone care to share their experiences?

Enlightened

Default Thinking of getting a Tri EDC, anyone care to share their experiences?

In aluminum cerakote'd orange. Neutral White tint. How are those of you EDCing it liking/not liking it so far? I dunno how I feel about the battery. It's not an AA or even a CR123 that you can find in a shop in case of emergency. Just seems a bit odd for an edc light..

Cheers

Default Re: Thinking of getting a Tri EDC, anyone care to share their experiences?

You can use a primary cr123. It's just not recommended to run on high mode as 2.8a is too much for that cell. I had an sst-50 edc and it was my favorite edc. I'm kind of sad to have let it go and now I'm wanting to pick up a tri-edc. From my experiences with the sst-50, it was the perfect edc. It clips on and off of your pocket easily but it has a firm grip so you don't have to worry about it slipping off inadvertently. The fit and feel in the hand is awesome. Good output and levels. Solid construction. Tail stands. Right up there with the Haiku.
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

Default Re: Thinking of getting a Tri EDC, anyone care to share their experiences?

It's a very nice light. I have no regrets about buying one. I don't think I'd buy a Cerakoted one, though; the stuff has a tendency to chip off over time, because aluminum is not the strongest base metal to attach the Cerakote to.

I have one in aluminum. My EDC includes a Fenix E01 on a keychain, and this light, which I carry in a Maxpedition RAT wallet. I am using 18350s, fyi. In short, I really like it.

Flashaholic

Well after I got mine, I was able to let a few of my other lights in EDC rotation go.... because there wasn't any more rotation
    I'm lampin'

Go the bare Al or splash out for Ti. I had a very bad experience with cerakote and will never use it again.

Even the Bare Al will take a beating (if need be)

The AW IMR 18350 is by far and away the best cell to be using. Have two batteries and keep a spare in your bag.

You'll get over an hour from medium mode - I find that I only recharge every couple of days.
    Last edited by mvyrmnd; 08-27-2012 at 05:19 AM.

With regard to your comment on batteries...using non-rechargeable batteries in an EDC seems odd to me. Unless you never actually use it.

The wait can be variable, but quality of Mac's lights are not. What he makes is as good as anything on CPF at that price point FOR SURE.

The only others at this price point are really McGizmo's, and his Ti lights give Don a very good run for his money to say the least.

With Mac, the important thing is to get all the details right, and then just wait. Choose the light (XML versus TRI), then choose the metal, and then think about modes. The newest lights with moonlight from Frank have definitely taken Mac's lights to the next level of functionality and perfection.

I sold my first TRI because of the low...now I have my 2nd coming to me with the moonlight, and I can't wait!!

obi
    Last edited by Obijuan Kenobe; 08-27-2012 at 05:26 AM.
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

Enlightened

just got my High CRI Tri EDC today, is it normal that the light will blinking every second when i put a CR123 in it?

Its. Ot recommended to use primaries in the tri-edc on high. Usr IMRs

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

What Obi said.

I have a Ti Tri (modded a bit) and it has nearly brought my carry rotation to a grinding halt. I think if I get another Mac I can restart my rotation by deciding witch Tri to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by guardpost3 View Post
    What Obi said.

I have a Ti Tri (modded a bit) and it has nearly brought my carry rotation to a grinding halt. I think if I get another Mac I can restart my rotation by deciding witch Tri to carry.
    What is it modded with?

Guardposts tri is modded with 219s and firefly low. I have played with his alot and Its an awesome edc light. I have a ti tri as well and the only other light i rotate with is my 6v warm haiku. I keep meaning to send mine out for the same mods as guardposts but just havent gotten around to it yet. I also agree tht cerakote is not the best option. I really use my lights and the ti still looks great. I have a bare al sst50 edc also which held up pretty well also. I would pick one of those 2 options. All in all though i highly recommend the tri edc. Its a wonderful light.

Thanks ffemt, beat me to it. Flucero swapped in three 4500K B10 bin Nichia 219s and modded the driver to shorten the mode change time, lowered the medium mode, and firefly low.
    Last edited by guardpost3; 08-29-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Thanks guys.

I'm thinking about getting a ML mode on mine when I get it. I have it just stick right now. It's in the mail right now and will be my 1st Tri-EDC; I'm just really excited to get it.

Congrats, you will not be disappointed. Don't forget to post a pic or two when you get it!

I recently picked up a Copper Tri in Neutral. It is in my EDC rotation and I love it. Going to have it custom programmed with a moonlight mode.
    +1 for Guardpost and Andrewmac. This has also reduced my EDC rotation to one.
    Last edited by greatscoot; 11-18-2012 at 05:27 PM.
    "You done messed up A.A.Ron"

Flashaholic

I have the Ti Tri recently. It is amazing little flashlight with very nice build quality and very bright. I would like one with Moon light/firefly mode but it won't be available directly from Mac!! Would definitely get the Copper Tri ! You won't regret to get it.