a little oops

hoffmyster86

Newly Enlightened
in my over zelous search for the hi capacity littlest li-ion battery i found a 2700mah battery..really good price too, a charger was only 5 quid, and so it began..

batteries arrived several decades later than the charger, the charger had evolved into some kind of life form it had had been in transit for so long.. ok ok, a month of waiting.

used the batteries as they seemed full, recharged them, 4 times and later i thought well, theyre getting hot and the charger isnt turning them off, hmmm i have a cunning plan..******* hmm, i'll leave them on for a couple of minutes longer.(like ermm..touching them hot batteries as the indicater to see when they were dun!!! that habbits well and truly obsolete! get a probe!!! lol)

aproxamatly 20 inch's to my right i got uh inf-uh-mashon update in the form of a small nuclea death plume, my ring tone changed immidiently (tinitous change lol) to a long nunggy ningggggggggggggggggggggggg, the flash was very impresive, i havent seen that since i was blowing stuff up as a kid!!
The room filled all but instantly with a sort of stinky cloud of whitened thick toxic smoke stinking the place out, so, i used the only option left to me, running round like a deafened headless chicken i opened windows and doors, the smoke alarm was good though, it worked as stated on the packet! sheeesh then the neighbours gathered to the bellowing smoke exiting out of the windows and spurted muffled noises at me lolol... yeh i was still ringing lol.

all sorted, fans blowing out the windows, i cheked about for small flash fires, and nope all was well, as i sat i notised the pritty little orangey light, flickering its reflection off of the wall behind the pc desk, my knee was getting warm too...dudahhhh panick!!! fire!!!! a couple of cups of random water throwing and all was well.(no where near the power cables..i made sure of that).

the strong sent of blown up battery now amply boosted with the stink of burnt whatever... hmmmm i was not amused.

later i probed about at the carger, slightly charred but i think it'd still work tbh, i couldnt find eather of the two batteries untill later, i first found the 'husk' of one, one room away, followed by several days later the other battery under a unit in the same room.

off course i was politly in the act of contacting peoples about chargers and batteries, to politly 'enquire' as to what why and when will they die sort of thing when i read the rest of the battery advert, the 2700mah battery, that was a disposable.. oops!!!

so be carefull out there peeps, read it all lol. (the mension of disposable was in there, at the end in a sort of hidden dont read me section!)

mg8076.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Last edited:

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude, this post is so funny if you had ended up homeless, I'd still :crackup:

(posting brand etc would be helpfull for fellow flashaholics :) )

Last edited:

hoffmyster86

Newly Enlightened
the brand isnt relavent realy, they were disspodables, but they did hold a charge well 4 times lol.

'' saft AA LS14500 lithium battery''

and '' 170681668646 '' on ebay

the charger people did promply send a replacement...i havent tried it yet ...

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saft batteries are usually used for backup of some kind--computer, alarm, etc. They are lithium batteries NOT lithium ion batteries. Not rechargeable. :oops:

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait, they were non rechargeable? lol! Nice 'experiment' :p (I'm not complaining. I've tried recharging alkalines with my hobby charger in the LiFePO4 mode.

moozooh

Enlightened
Funny post indeed! Nice to see you're taking your blunders lightly.

hoffmyster86

Newly Enlightened
yup yup... that is the point, in the SAFT advert it looked and read like rechargeable, how many disposables quote a mah rating?

suprise!! hahah

i'm still on edge now every time i plug a battery in to charge.. very effective atension grabber.:sick:

(i charged and used it 4 times already...then left it longer to see if the charger would switch..lol!! arghhhhh touching it to see how hot along the way!).

kramer5150

Flashaholic
yup yup... that is the point, in the SAFT advert it looked and read like rechargeable, how many disposables quote a mah rating?

suprise!! hahah

i'm still on edge now every time i plug a battery in to charge.. very effective atension grabber.:sick:

(i charged and used it 4 times already...then left it longer to see if the charger would switch..lol!! arghhhhh touching it to see how hot along the way!).

Quite a few non-recharge cell types list their mah capacity... most of the ones i have seen list some kind of capacity.

hoffmyster86

Newly Enlightened
the sweat on continues, i have a 9600mah lithium ion in a plastic housing on charge, usualy takes two days too, i sit and look at it now, (it switch's off at anything i've thrown at it in use so far..but non the less the echo lives on).

soooo, i've upped the anti and got some Ultrafire BRC 18650 4000mAh'ers, charged one on the plug charger.oo 4.22volts and switched off,(in about 3-4 hour), i sat looking at it every now and then worried about touching it to see if it was getting to that hot hot stage lol.. number two is sat happily aproaching green and is mildly tepid..fffff

i assume the BRC means protected battery? well, it did say in the advert protected.

moozooh

Enlightened
The Ultrafire BRCs are protected, but made out of rejected cells (those that didn't make the manufacturer spec). As a result, their actual capacity is at around 2100 mAh (not 4000 or anything remotely close), and they can't stand high current. Basically their only advantage over quality cells is cheapness.

The actual 4000 mAh cells are due in 2013 or so; Panasonic has done well on the 3400s so they seem to know what they're promising. In a right light, 4000 mAh is a ton of capacity.