Carry-on question

PackersNation

Newly Enlightened
I will be flying in a few days and plan on taking a d25lc2. One 18650 will go in the d25, which will go in my backpack. How should I store the other one in my backpack? A response in the next day would be helpful.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

borealis

Newly Enlightened
The best thing to do do is call the airport and get their suggestion on how to proceed.
LOL. You trust the monkeys at the airport to know all the rules?

Assuming you're in the US, the best place to find out is probably the TSA website. Flashlight is a tool, and tools under 7 inches are allowed in carry-on (but check your crenelated bezel). Wet cell batteries are not permitted, dry cell are fine. I'd guess Li-Ion is a dry cell, but I've never cracked one open.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest that you place the spare/loose batteries in an airtight container of some type just in case of an unexpected loss of pressure in the cargo hold.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I flew in April, from Miami to L.A. and brought my Fenix PD32, an EagleTac 3100 18650 and my WP2 II. I put them all in my suitcase, as I didn't want to take the chance of some dweeb walking off with my nice new light.

Everything arrived fine and everything returned fine.

Chris

borealis

Newly Enlightened
I flew in April, from Miami to L.A. and brought my Fenix PD32, an EagleTac 3100 18650 and my WP2 II. I put them all in my suitcase, as I didn't want to take the chance of some dweeb walking off with my nice new light.

Everything arrived fine and everything returned fine.

Chris
That dweeb's brother could have just as easily taken it out of your suitcase.

hoffmyster86

Newly Enlightened
i'd of said put them in a seperate 'tidy bag' type of thing, that way if theres any dubious about it you can pop it into a locker untill you return.

Tegan's Dad

Newly Enlightened
There have been a few threads on traveling with lights, so I'd peek through them first.

If all else fails, you can either:
1) Get there early if you are parking at the airport and if they don't let you through security with them, bring them back to your car and leave them.
2) If you are getting a ride, ask your ride to stay at the airport until you get through security and can call them. If they won't let you through with it, run it back out to your ride.

I'd also bring a keychain light in case you have to leave your main light.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flew today, didn't have 18650 but did have 16340s, have flown with 18650s. I pack them in a tube with caps on either end or plastic cases that fit them. Carry onto the plane.
Haven't had any problems, usually have 1/2 dozen lights if you include the small ones (40DD, 44DD). I don't think they want to see them loose. Otherwise no issues - mind the aggressive crenelated bezels though, they might not like those.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geez, I've never had a problem, and always have a light. Last flight to San Antonio I had a Spy 007 with 2 AW RCRs in it. Dropped it in my briefcase to go through security and they never blinked....and that was beginning at Reagan National Airport in DC...

ltxi

Newly Enlightened
Aging road warrior here....edc in loose pocket stuff, travel light clipped into a pocket in briefcase, spare batteries for everything small, phones/lights/mouse/hotspot/etc, all glad wrapped and in a ziploc bag in briefcase. Never an issue. Even back in the dark days just post 9/11.

Last edited:

Latest posts