MAXXON WIRELESS REAR BRAKE LIGHT + TAIL LIGHT REVIEW

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
6 month ago, I was send by Ventus Innovation, a local firm in Sussex, UK, the Maxxon wireless brake light for a field evaluation. As a commuter cyclist, and MTB Night Rider, I was very impressed by this little light, so here is my review, plus short video to illustrate the various modes.

VRL8.jpg

MAXXON WIRELESS BRAKE LIGHT

First look:

At first glance, the Maxxon/Ventus rear light looks like many other conventional rear lights, but don't be fooled!
This is a very clever rear light as it is fitted with a wireless brake light system.

To my knowledge this is the only wireless self-activating cycle brake light available in the UK.
RLBL6.jpg

Description:

A water resistant and compact black plastic housing with a viewable 250-degree window housing 5 super bright red LEDs (combined power of 0.5W).
The light is powered by two AAA batteries and is equipped with a low power indicator kicking in at 2.3V.

VRL5.jpg

The light is designed to be used with either disposable standard batteries or the rechargeable type with no noticeable power/brightness loss on rechargeable batteries.
Very long battery life (manufacturer data on Alkaline MODE A - 800 hrs, MODE B - 200 hrs, MODE C - 100 hrs)

VRL3.jpg

VRL9.jpg

The light is easily removable from the bracket for security. The bracket is
designed to fit around a 24 to 35mm seat post (rubber spacers are included).
Opening the battery compartment does require a flat item to lever the cover - a penny coin or a flat screwdriver would do. The cover is a tight fit
and does not have a waterproof rubber seal, but the manufacturer claims the light claims to be water resistant. I have not encountered any water penetration problems with my sample during my 6 months test.
The switch has a firm positive feel and is protected by a rubber cover.

VRL4.jpg
VRL2.jpg

Interface:

This is where the Maxxon/Vensus light really stands out from the crowd.

The light has an integrated wireless brake sensor, as well as a self-turn on
and off device. So for the brake light to work, you don't have
to do a thing apart from pedaling to set the bike in motion. The tail
light needs to be switched on manually. The independent brake light system turns itself
on after 30 seconds of cycling and turns itself off when the bike is still for more than 4 minutes.

On my sample, the manual switch activate 3 different modes:

A) Switch in off position: day light mode
The tail light is not showing under normal cycling or when stationary.
The very bright brake light will only come on under braking or over big bumps (operational after 30 seconds of riding).

B) First click of the switch: night riding - flashing
The tail light will will be flashing under normal cycling or when stationary.
The very bright brake light will only come on under braking or over big bumps (operational after 30 seconds of riding).

C) Second click of the switch: night riding - continuously
The tail light will be on a steady light mode under normal cycling or when stationary.

So to recap, the light is always in "A" mode tail light off. The night modes
flashing or constant are activated by the manual switch.
The brake light is an automatic mode self activated by the movement of the bicycle and will work
independently from mode A, B and C, but its visual effect will be the same in all modes ie a very bright stop light.

Regarding the brake light activating system, please note the brake light is designed to come on under firm braking where the sensor will register a
sensible loss of speed but not under coasting (ie applying the brakes to keep to a steady speed while going downhill).
The brake light will also come on if the bike is suddenly jerked, ie when going over a noticeable bump or pot holes. This is due to the motion sensor acting as a brake switch. A result of this design is that the light is ideal for normal road and town use, but is not designed for off road use where the brake light would keep activating itself due to rough ground.

The light is German K-standard approved (one of the strictest in Europe) and is also CE marked.

Conclusion:

The Maxxon/Ventus rear tail/brake light has got to be one of the safest rear bicycle lights on the market today.
Not only will it signal to a motorist your position like other lights, but also it will warn them when you are braking.
The wireless braking system, the long battery run time and its easy fit and removal makes
it a very user-friendly rear/brake cycle light for any road cyclists.

VRL6.jpg
Steady on position, rear tail light setting6 months after report:Absolutely no problem with my sample, I cycled with the light during our mild winter and our wet summer here in Sussex.Despite not having a conventional rubber seal, my lighgt did not suffer from water penetration and the switch still feels positive.
The only things I replaced were the batteries with some rechargeable ones.
The lights quick release is very easy to use and allows me to remove it very quickly before my weekly MTB forest night rides.
The fact that the brake light system activated itself while going over big bumps or pot holes did not pose a problem as I believe
that the more flash the light gives, the more likely car drivers will be able to see me!
During my winter night commuting, I always have two lights fitted to the rear of my bike, the second one being the extremely bright Smart Lunar light,
but the brightness of the Maxxon/Ventus light is pretty close to it!
see photo
VRL7.jpg

I also feel that the light should be advertised as a rear tail light with wireless brake light instead of just a wireless brake light,
as this is also a very capable rear light!
The light has been supplied for evaluation by Ventus Innovations who is the UK importer.
I have no UK RRP, but I expect they will be available from main UK cycling retailers and mail order giants.
All information contained in this review is given in good faith and is a result of a six months road commuting test on the light supplied. Data is from Maxxon info sheet.

Regards
Skyraider59
:wave:
Jetbeam ST CYCLER, III ST PRO BVC, BK135A; Nitecore EZ-AA; Solarforce M6, L2, L2P, L2R, L2M, L2i; Zebralight H50, H60, Sunwayman V10R-Ti, V11R, Bikeray RAY III

Last edited: