Light In Slow Motion

Empath

Flashaholic
I think this almost needs it's own thread here on CPF.

I think you're right.
We're a light infatuated board. Such an amazing capability to study the target of our interest deserves it's own thread.
I've moved it to its own thread in the Cafe.

Last edited:

Bigpal

Enlightened
The render that they came up with when trying to look around the corner was amazingly accurate. The way I understand it, the distance of each returning photon's position can be mapped, then they can come up with a shape once put all together.

I wonder if they can advance it enough where shining light into a devastated building could locate people. How cool would that be. There would be endless uses for the around the corner thing.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to see light in slow motion go through a reflector and all the photons bouncing around inside then slowly shoot into the hotspot.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has a lot of applications for non destructive testing, etc.

The rest is a bit Sci-Fi though. Still, good work on the part of the builders.

Dave Youngman

Newly Enlightened
What puts this in perspective is that famous bullet through an apple "capture" where the bullet is exiting right and the shock wave is in the process of rupturing the apple ....
THAT "movie" using the technic used for capturing these light images traveling down the coke bottle ...
that bullet would take OVER ONE YEAR to play out. Truly AWESOME technologies with incredible potential to "see" stuff. What about the 4 to 8 seconds that a massive hydrogen bomb
takes from initiation to termination of its full fusion event?

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
The femto camera is incredible. But, maybe I am a troglodyte, or fail to grasp something; but, how could you see around corners in any situation other than total darkness?

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
The femto camera is incredible. But, maybe I am a troglodyte, or fail to grasp something; but, how could you see around corners in any situation other than total darkness?

I think that even in a lit room, the light still "bounces" back , and some can be measured. It is the objects defraction ( might be wrong word), that would change the amount of light being measured that would allow this to happen.
Point your dim flashlight into the beam of a really bright flashlight. Your eyes cannot see that more light is hitting the target, but I am pretty sure you dim light is adding to the total amount of light. similar analogy. Might be a fractional amount returning from around the corner, but they can measure it.

Wrend

Enlightened
Just use special LASER frequencies/pulses and look for those "signatures."

In new radio control devices you can even "hide" and operate under the background noise level because the receivers know what to look for and can combine spread spectrum signals to receive a "brighter" signal.

Keep in mind here guys that this is a compilation of many takes, so I don't think a live version would be available for quite some time, if ever. Still, might be useful if what you're looking at is stationary for long enough. On the other had, light travels very quickly, so you might be able to get off enough takes anyway, depending on what you're observing.

None the less, it's very cool.

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
To paraphrasr J.B.S. Haldane:

'Things are not stranger than you imagine, they are stanger than you can imagine'.

Wrend

Enlightened
This doesn't seem strange to me. Just very imaginative, using technology in new and exiting ways.

I especially like how they have to "correct" for relativistic (and maybe quantum?) mechanics to get a "normal" reflection image off the table.

Last edited: