EAGTAC        
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Portable solar charging setup I just built...

Default Re: Portable solar charging setup I just built...

I ordered cigarette lighter sockets about 7 weeks ago from DX, they never arrived, DX finally did a refund for the order. I still have to reorder, I'm not buying them locally at about $12 each

Just finished my home set-up today (minus the meter), I was going to roof mount the panel, but theses days I not as steady on my feet as I once was I settled for fence mounting, it might miss an hour of sun in the morning, that it would have seen on the roof, the rest of the day will have the same exposure.

Norm
    Last edited by Norm; 10-29-2013 at 10:43 PM.

My home set up, sorry for the quality of the pic.

Hard to see but in the bottom right corner there is a battery box containing a 110 Ah battery and the controller, you can see a white plastic right angle down pipe fitting that's the pass through for all of my cables, the 6 metre pole supports one end of my long wire fed by an Icom AH4 on the top of the mast there is a 6 metre long vertical collinear for 2M and 70cm fed by LDF 5 - 50.

I'm getting the full rated output of 7.7A from the 130W mono panel in full sunshine. My radio shack and all battery charging is now 100% solar

Norm
    Last edited by Norm; 12-17-2013 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzman View Post
    That meter does appear useful. I've sketched up a design utilizing it, and I'll probably order one in a few days.

I was very surprised at the lack of available chassis mounted USB modules with more than 2 USBs. Others here may like to see the mounding method you used for your module. I ended up ordering a power distribution panel with two USB and two cigarette lighter jacks. If I need more USB outputs, I've already got a cigarette lighter module with dual USBs, and a single to dual cigarette lighter splitter.

Grizz
    How are you progressing Grizz?

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    How are you progressing Grizz?

Norm
    I'd say I'm making pretty good progress. Have you completely finished your box yet? Your home setup looks good.

The only component I'm waiting on is the charge controller, which I ordered first. I cancelled that order a few days ago, and the Morningstar SS-10L should be arriving on Tuesday, from another vendor. Oh ya, I also need to add a fuse, but that should be pretty simple.

The only other item I need to purchase is the sheet aluminum into which I'll be chassis and surface mounting the electronics. The sheet metal brake arrived last week, so I can bend the sheet to incorporate a separate storage section in the Fat 50 ammo can I'm using for a box. I hope to purchase the sheet within the next couple days.

I chose a PowerFilm R21 for my first panel, and will likely get an R28 in the not to distant future. The Baintech DC power distribution panel arrived from Australia very quickly. The battery is a 22 ah unit from Chrome Battery. The voltage/amperage meter arrived yesterday. Access through the aluminum sheet is via Anderson PowerPoles, and I'm looping the battery connections through it, so I can easily use a larger external unit.

I plan to start documenting the build, with photos, soon.

I borrowed heavily from others in this thread, so I'd like to thank all of you for your ideas.
    Last edited by Grizzman; 12-01-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Sorry Grizz I've just seen your reply. The cigarette lighter sockets I ordered finally arrived after three and half months, that's all I need to do is install them and my portable set-up is complete.

Norm

I edited my previous post, instead of making a new one, so I wasn't expecting an immediate response from you.

I'm glad your cigarette lighter sockets finally arrived.

I've completed all wiring for my build, and now need to get off work early enough to buy the aluminum sheet. I hope to be able to leave work early tomorrow. I've got another large project spinning up, so I really need to get this one finished.

Good luck with the aluminium, I'm lucky enough to have a workshop close by where they will cut and fold etc. for no too much cash

Norm
    Last edited by Norm; 02-02-2015 at 03:14 PM.

My portable solar charging setup is now basically complete. All I have left to do is come up with a spacer to keep the battery from sliding around in the bottom of the box. I also need to program the meter for the capacity of the battery. I might as well add some Nyogel to the boxe's rubber gasket to assist in waterproofness. The entire solution, including rollable PowerFilm panel should be fully waterproof (I used silicone to seal the bolt holes through the sides of the box) and able to withstand my typical clumsiness. I may touch up some paint that was scraped off the aluminum, since I wasn't patient enough to wait a few hours for it to fully cure.

Here are the components laid out and ready to be installed into the 3000 series aluminum panel. The panel rests on 6/32" threaded couplers screwed onto bolts. I planned to use angle aluminum, but the box's width didn't allow for that, so I went with this solution.

Here's a photo of the finished aluminum panel. The front section will be used to store cables, battery chargers, spare fuses, etc. It also acts as the front wall of the battery compartment. I bent the rear edge down since I figured that would be simpler than cutting it off perfectly straight at the proper length (with a hack saw), grooming it with the file, then sanding.....ya you get the point, it was the easy solution. The Klein nibbler I chose worked, but it wasn't without it's faults. It was relatively easy to cut out square knock-out holes, but it chewed up both the top and bottom surfaces enough that I felt obligated to sand it back smooth. My box and pan brake worked out very well, and I only made two practice bends before forming the panel. I look forward to having it for future projects. Luckily, the only noteworthy error I made with the holes was marking the outside edge of the distribution panel height, instead of the required hole edge. While not perfect, it is definitely functional, and not worth fabricating a replacement panel.

Here's the empty aluminum panel sitting in the box for the final test fitting before I mounted the components.

This photo shows the wiring of the components on the rear of the panel. It's a pretty simple design, partly owing to the complete power distribution panel, instead of separate USB and cigarette lighter components. This panel incorporates a circuit breaker and power switches for each output.

This photo shows the completed assembly powered up and ready for use, with a few items that will be stored in the box. I still need to purchase a small 12 volt AA battery charger that can also live in the box. The Anderson PowerPole 4 conductor chassis mount on the left provides loop-through of the battery connections through the panel. This allows me to use or charge an external battery by connecting it to the input conductors. A side benefit is that removing the jumper PowerPoles disconnects the battery from the system to eliminate parasitic drain from the meter and charge controller when it isn't being used.

Here it is ready for travel.

It was a fun and educational project that should be very useful next summer during camping trips, yet fully ready to assist during the few power outages my home experiences. I almost forgot to say that the box, with 22 ah battery weighs in at 22.6 pounds.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizzman; 12-17-2013 at 10:30 PM.

A damn fine job.

You should figure out how much labor and how much in parts (sans battery) and see if you can sell them? I don't have the tools, or electrical acumen, to put one of those together, but I'd sure consider buying something like that for a reasonable price.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Great Job Grizz, the box looks great and very functional.

I used two lengths or 10mm right angle attached to the bottom of the box with slots to accommodate two heavy cable ties as tie downs for the battery.

Norm
    Last edited by Norm; 12-18-2013 at 12:02 AM.

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't have nearly enough time to devote to multi-unit production, but it wouldn't be too difficult to build a second one. The distribution panel's price of $115 may make it undesirable (but easy to connect, with only two wires).

For now, I'll just grab a piece of 3/4 inch plywood, cut it to size, paint it green and drop it in between the battery and rear wall of the box. I may get more creative after my other current project has been completed.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizzman; 12-18-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Grizzman,

can you provide a BOM, specifically the output console and the digital meter? That's a sweet setup!
    The output console will eliminate alot of loose ends. For 12V output, USB output, and Voltmeter with independent switches adds up to alot of space if constructed with entirely discrete components. Nice to know there exists a commercial unit that has everything integrated.

The power distribution panel is the BTCP004R from Baintech. Panels are also offered with Merit and Engel outlets, in addition to USB and cigarette lighter. Here's a link to the manufacturer's product page of the one I used.

http://www.baintech.com.au/power-pan...ribution-panel

Anderson Powerpole Chassis Mounts are available in both four and eight conductor models. It would have been simpler for me to choose the eight conductor unit, which would have only required one hole. The Anderson Power Products website isn't overly helpful, and I couldn't even locate the chassis mount products on it.

I used the same digital meter as Norm, which came from eBay. A search for Dual Display Combo Meter 90V 10A should work.

I bought the sealed lead acid 22 AH battery directly from Chrome Battery. I chose this particular battery as much for its dimensions as anything else.

http://www.chromebattery.com/review/...t/list/id/321/

The Fat50 ammo can is wide enough for the battery to lay on its side. This isn't possible with standard .50 cal cans. It was purchased from http://www.armynavysales.com/field-gear-ammo-cans.aspx.

The durability and simplicity of the integrated power distribution unit is the exact reason I avoided discreet components.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizzman; 12-19-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzman View Post

Anderson Powerpole Chassis Mounts are available in both four and eight conductor models. It would have been simpler for me to choose the eight conductor unit, which would have only required one hole. The Anderson Power Products website isn't overly helpful, and I couldn't even locate the chassis mount products on it.

I used the same digital meter as Norm, which came from eBay. A search for Dual Display Combo Meter 90V 10A should work.
    The USB module I used: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200930615...84.m1438.l2649

The Meter: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181114198...84.m1438.l2649 Check the meter specs., there are a few different models.

Powerpole accessories: http://www.powerwerx.com/powerpole-accessories/

Norm
    Last edited by Norm; 12-19-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks for the links, Norm. I avoided including links to resellers, but I suppose when that's the best source of info, it must be alright.

I also bought the PowerPole items from Powerwerx.

Finally added cigarette lighter sockets after waiting months for them to arrive and a switch for the USB module.

Norm

You have a new 'start-up' in your future, Norm.

I would gladly buy that item and it looks very professionally done.

Now you have to get out and test it rigorously and report back.

Sea trials man, sea trials.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Thanks Chris you got me started , it's been a fun project.

Used it just yesterday, I had reprogrammed my Icom 2720 and mistakenly used the program for the shack radio, I have a two hour timer to automatically turn the radio off which isn't in the shack radio, the car sat for a few days and the battery was flat so I was able to jump start the car and get on my way

Norm

The Meter: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181114198...84.m1438.l2649 Check the meter specs., there are a few different models.
    Norm
    May i ask you how this meter calculates battery capacity?

Quote Originally Posted by kosPap View Post
    May i ask you how this meter calculates battery capacity?
    This type of meter does not calculate or measure battery capacity, but sums current and power to Ah and Wh.
    I.e. if you charge the battery fully, then reset the meter and then discharge the battery, it will show how many Ah and Wh you got from the battery.

These meters are usual not very precise at low currents (i..e. milli amperes), but works acceptable for a couple of amps.
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/
    Latest addition is multimeter reviews

Flashaholic*

Nice builds - thanks for posting the info on the details.

This thread and some other things has given me the "build a solar something" itch.

A few years ago I saw a presentation comparing the output loss due to clouds, and I "think" I remember that mono crystalline types held up better over a range of conditions than the multi and poly crystalline PV cells. Does that sound correct or do I have this mistaken ?

I have been surprised how difficult it is to obtain the higher end efficiency panels such as sunpower, most of what I am finding is only 14% or less. Anyone find higher end cells in the retail market ?

Thanks Chris you got me started , it's been a fun project.

Used it just yesterday, I had reprogrammed my Icom 2720 and mistakenly used the program for the shack radio, I have a two hour timer to automatically turn the radio off which isn't in the shack radio, the car sat for a few days and the battery was flat so I was able to jump start the car and get on my way

Norm
    Hi Norm,

I know that it's sometimes rude to ask, but could you give us a 'break-down' on cost? Even in Australian dollars, it might be helpful to let others know what you have invested in your project, in one post, in cost and labor (hours spent building the thing?)

I'm just thinking that letting other people know what you have spent on your portable solar/power kit, is a good thing!

I always love to know and I'm not offended by sharing, but that's just me, lol.

For posterity's sake, it will help other CPFers out. Obviously, details help all.

Thanks, Chris

No problem Chris rough prices, Cooler/ esky $20, meter $26, 26 Ah battery $75, 4 way power pole $15, 4 way USB $6, 3mm aluminium panel off cut $1, cigarette lighter sockets $4, various cable ties, switch, fuse holder and screws and wire from the junk box. Total about $150.

Norm

No problem Chris rough prices, Cooler/ esky $20, meter $26, 26 Ah battery $75, 4 way power pole $15, 4 way USB $6, 3mm aluminium panel off cut $1, cigarette lighter sockets $4, various cable ties, switch, fuse holder and screws and wire from the junk box. Total about $150.

Norm
    Thanks.

That's actually less than I was guessing.

I was thinking a few hundred dollars US/Aus. for the whole kit and caboodle.

Cool.

Chris

I know its a bit of an old thread but I love the ammo can charger.

For a cheap system would attaching something like a cigarette lighter to battery clip http://www.jaycar.com.au/p/PP2007 to an old or new 12V battery and then to a 18650 battery charger work like the Nitecore D2 (with the 12V car lead).

What would the dangers be?
    What do you mean they blew up the death star.......... Wait....What the hell is an Aluminium Falcon?

Ammo cans are inexpensive, durable, and waterproof, so they make pretty good electronics boxes. I only used my setup a couple times last summer, but plan to use it a lot more this summer.

The cigarette lighter to clip adapter is basically what exists in your car. As long as the 18650 battery charger works from a 12 volt power source, there wouldn't be any danger at all.

Some great looking work!

Like the rest of you, we have occasional power outages, one the result of an ice storm in 2008 that lasted for seven days. Our 5500 watt portable generator keeps us with heat, water and the basic necessities during the day but at night it is turned off.

I have since greatly expanded my supply of Li-ion powered flashlights (the flashaholic thing) and needed chargers, but the chargers still depend on power to operate. Two of them, an Xtar VP-2 and the charger that came with my Surefire PR1 have 12-volt adapters for use in a standard auto 12-volt socket, so I decided to build my own version of a solar powered charging station to power these two chargers, as well as our numerous hand-held devices that recharge via a USB port.

After doing my due diligence, I settled on the following as the main components;

Pelican 1300 case
    Power Sonic PDC-12260 deep cycle AGM battery (28ah)
    Renogy 30-watt PV panel
    Genasun GV-4 MPPT controller

I used a selection of marine-grade electrical components to keep all connections on the outside of the case (this was to keep the case as small as possible);

Blue Sea Systems 12 Volt Dash Socket
    DROK waterproof LED voltmeter
    Gardner Bender GSW-16 Heavy Duty Toggle Switch with waterproof boot
    OptiMate CABLE O-20 Weatherproof SAE socket

Along with the above was a selection of SAE connectors, fuses, connects, etc. as well as a small momentary push-button switch to activate the voltmeter.

Photo 1

Using marine-grade components and making sure all holes are well sealed, the box remains "weatherproof" though I don't think it could be submerged;

Photo 2

From left to right: Blue Sea Systems 12-volt socket, DROK voltmeter, Gardner-Bender DPDT switch, Optimate SAE connector (for connecting PV panel).

DPDT switch operation: center - off (battery totally isolated); right - PV panel and 12-volt socket connected to battery; left - 12-volt socket only connected to battery.

Volt meter operation: with switch in either the left or right position, voltmeter activated via a small push-button momentary switch on the front of the Pelican case. I use the voltmeter as a rough measure of remaining battery capacity. Fully charged, the battery levels off at 13.1 volts (it arrived measuring 11.9 volts, or about 40% charged).

Photo 3 - Inside the Case

The Power Sonic PDC-12260 battery pretty much fills up the Pelican 1300 case. Not very visible in the photo is a piece of 1-inch aluminum angle stock secured to the bottom of the case that holds the battery from sliding to the right into the electrical components. An old heavy-duty rubber cargo mat was cut to fill the small gap between the battery and the case on the top, left and bottom, holding it securely in place.

The Genasun controller is secured to the top of the battery with some double-sided foam tape, leaving about 1/16th of an inch clearance on the top with the case lid clamped closed.

Photo 4

With a piece of foam cut to cover the electrical components, there is enough space to store a few small accessories, including my Anker USB Car Charger.

Photo 5

The Renogy 30-watt Monocrystalline Solar Panel mounted on one of my camera tripods. I made a bracket with a camera QR plate to attach the PV panel to the tripod, which I keep in a south-facing window to trickle-charge the battery. Placing the panel outside in direct sunlight produces enough power for the Genasun controller to ramp up to over 1.5 amps, recharging up to about 40% of battery capacity in a day.

I've been using the DIY charging station for the last few weeks since completion and it is so far working well. My next project is converting a pair of table lamps to 12-volt operation for use with the station during power outages, or for normal use with a 12-volt transformer plugged into a switched outlet.
    Last edited by NH Lumens; 04-02-2016 at 11:31 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by NH Lumens View Post

I have since greatly expanded my supply of Li-ion powered flashlights (the flashaholic thing) and needed chargers, but the chargers still depend on power to operate. Two of them, an Xtar VP-2 and the charger that came with my Surefire PR1 have 12-volt adapters for use in a standard auto 12-volt socket, so I decided to build my own version of a solar powered charging station to power these two chargers, as well as our numerous hand-held devices that recharge via a USB port.
    +1

Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by sidecross View Post
    +1

Nice work!
    Thanks! I'll follow up in about a week when I have my table lamp conversion done.

Brilliant.
    What do you mean they blew up the death star.......... Wait....What the hell is an Aluminium Falcon?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast