Help identifying this LED?

midget

Enlightened
Hey, I was wondering if you all might know or point me in the right direction about this LED...

I know the picture isn't much and it's located inside a narrow opening such that I can't clearly see in or take measurements... Does anyone know what kind of LED this might be? I am trying to figure out make, model, output.. pretty much anything that I could get, because the device is unlabeled and largely uninformative.

The LED is certainly larger than an XM-L... I'd say almost twice the area? So... Perhaps 1.5x the width(s) of an XM-L...

It is hooked up to an industrial light source that puts light into a fiber optic system. It's used by surgeons and doctors. It's pretty bright, too, maybe 1500 lumens?

I tried contacting the manufacturer of the device -- no luck getting info.

ViXWQl.jpg

Here is a direct image to the link.
http://i.imgur.com/ViXWQ.jpg

Does anyone know any info? Or conversely, does anyone have any links or resources to industrial LED's as a light source? I know we tend to focus primarily on flashlights and that's all I know so my breadth of knowledge is really limited.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Toaster79

Enlightened
CBT-90 is domeless, the LED in the picture is not. I doubt that that's optics over the LED and not the dome. Count the bond wires and you'll find out if it's SST-50 or 90

midget

Enlightened
i looked closely at the LED when I was there with an endoscope and the LED is domed. I don't know if that helps narrow things down a bit?

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess is cst90. I 'counted' ~13-14 bond wires on one side. See if you can count the number of tiny gold wires, and see if it matches up with the cst90.
SST90 is a good guess too. The CST version is the same chip but mounted on a larger heat spreader for easier thermal management. We can't really see what it is mounted on. Either way, it is probably a Luminus LED: http://www.luminus.com/products/white.html

Last edited:

midget

Enlightened
My guess is cst90. I 'counted' ~13-14 bond wires on one side. See if you can count the number of tiny gold wires, and see if it matches up with the cst90.
SST90 is a good guess too. The CST version is the same chip but mounted on a larger heat spreader for easier thermal management. We can't really see what it is mounted on. Either way, it is probably a Luminus LED: http://www.luminus.com/products/white.html

i popped back in with an endoscope and count the number of bond wires. there are 14 wires. also, the LED is mounted on a large device that has fans to cool the LED, the same way that a computer fan/heatsink does. the whole lightsource is about the size of a tower computer case. i took some pics on my iphone and will try to upload tonight.

the specs on the back say 80W (led), 100v-240v, power = 200VA.

midget

Enlightened
thank you for the help everyone, i believe i've found the right LED. gunner12, i noticed you are in MA? i am located near the boston area -- i wonder if any CPF has get-togethers in the area? i recently saw that our esteemed member of mac's customs is also in boston. it would be great to meet other like minds!