Storacell
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you use your "strobe" function for?

Flashaholic

Default What do you use your "strobe" function for?

Hi: Just curious (newbie!) as to what you use your "strobe' function on your flashlight for....is it to incapacitate attackers for a second, or what are some other uses?
    Same goes for the obvious S.O.S. function...other than survival? Thanks,Hot Brass

Flashaholic*

Default Re: What do you use your "strobe" function for?

Have never used it. Not a believer in the first use there are other more effective defensive strategies, and have never had to use a flashlight in an emergency in that manner yet, hopefully never will.

Other than an emergency I dont ever see me using the function.
    Lee

Life is too important to be taken seriously: Oscar Wilde

I don't. Never once have I had a legitimate use for strobe.

I have only used it at party's

Many a party. Nothing else.

it has two general functions, one is to anoy folks with and the other is to say ''ooo nig shney one with 58 fuctions and it comes with a free puddy cat, a bag of crisps and..we'll charge yu later' ??

if it was sos..yeh, comes under a function, if it was 3 quick long pause or 6 quick long pause it would come under 'need help/ ok now'.. but stroabing? yup the two reasons above.

mine plays the ukalayley ner ner nu ner ner lmao!

added in..

have you seen starwars? they all have flashing led lights, or was it 'you will buy this Luke'...'use the forse, the 57 clicky selectable strobey forse'... ahh sorry, yup yup, i've got it..'you WILL buy one with a strobe'........NOW cheepy cheapy, f....k you long time 5 dolla. (what else can they do with that chip? they bought fousands of um!).
    Last edited by hoffmyster86; 08-02-2012 at 07:22 AM.

It's well use on coyotes and I'm sure other wild animals.

I think it all depends on the speed of the strobe, because a real slow one doesn't seem as useful to me, a slow strobe would be like having a really slow abs; you could do it yourself. While a fast strobe, such as on the Crelant 7g5 v2 freaks you out more. I wouldn't even have to be an animal, and if someone shined the strobe at me, I'd be like WTF?
    Last edited by Sintro; 08-02-2012 at 07:22 AM.

just had a little ponder, and i think a new section tittled 'the ergot ward' should be set up by admin, specifically for those tecno failure devices, bad batteries, wonky chips etc, with a rating of all time worste lol.

worste design awards

On a different forum where I am a member, there is a sub-forum for Law Enforcement Officer. I asked a question there if any of the LEOs there have ever used the strobe in a real life situation. . Nope! None of them felt that it was a viable option. Trying it at home I found that the dog and my youngest daughter simply ignore it. And my wife and oldest daughter tell me to shut the {BLEEPING} thing off.

I really wonder why it is actually included on flashlights, and who the heck came up with the idea that it would be useful?

Have no clue what effect it would have on a PCP or Crack addict charging at you with a knife.
    Bill
    Pacific NW

If a crackhead is already charging at you it won't do anything I fear... However, a strobe is great at getting attention, mostly from peripheral vision. It's not a huge feature, and the defensive aspect is overrated in my opinion. Only if you surprise a burglar in the dark, a strobe and a heavy voice might cause a flee rather than fight reaction, which might just be the optimal outcome.

Flashaholic

Absolutely nothing. It's a joke for defensive purposes. I don't need any blinky functions at all.

[QUOTE=wjv;3996722]On a different forum where I am a member, there is a sub-forum for Law Enforcement Officer. I asked a question there if any of the LEOs there have ever used the strobe in a real life situation. . Nope! None of them felt that it was a viable option. Trying it at home I found that the dog and my youngest daughter simply ignore it. And my wife and oldest daughter tell me to shut the {BLEEPING} thing off.

I really wonder why it is actually included on flashlights, and who the heck came up with the idea that it would be useful?
    QUOTE]

I now like to have a strobe option for the reasons you expressed.

I am 68 years old and if I was being bothered and had practiced the use of using the strobe it might bother someone enough to leave me alone. It certainly would be a visual show of notice.

Flashaholic*

let just say this

Since I got my new XML driven lights with strobe function, I have NOT been attacked by a bear, or siberian tiger. Not even once.

there ya go
    posted by jh333233
    Dont cheat me, im expert in using crap light

Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    let just say this

Since I got my new XML driven lights with strobe function, I have NOT been attacked by a bear, or siberian tiger. Not even once.

there ya go

I thought that Bear and Siberian Tiger required a different strobe mode for each!

Natasha and I use strobe to defend against Moose and Squirrel!
    Last edited by wjv; 08-02-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    Bill
    Pacific NW

I don't know why I like it.. but I do. It mostly get used to annoy people and temporarily blind friends during many beers.
    1st) SWM V11R, 2nd) Klarus XT11, 3rd) Klarus XT1C, 4th) JetBeam PC10, 5th) Malkoff MD2 w/ M61W, 6th)...

no use disco is dead the slow blink on my pocket rocket has a use and is bypassed until needed

I was also going to mention the other LEO posts I have seen and they have said the same thing.
    IMHO if all I had were the FL, then I would use the weight/hardness metal and not the strobe for defense.

Twice in the last six months I used the strobe function on my TA20 when helping at the scene of auto accidents on the highway near our home at night. It takes just under 15 minutes for emergence responders to arrive due to our remote location. This part of the highway has a 65 MPH speed limit so I used the strobe to alert others vehicles to the accident in the dark then switch back to regular mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu_Travelbee View Post
    Twice in the last six months I used the strobe function on my TA20 when helping at the scene of auto accidents on the highway near our home at night. It takes just under 15 minutes for emergence responders to arrive due to our remote location. This part of the highway has a 65 MPH speed limit so I used the strobe to alert others vehicles to the accident in the dark then switch back to regular mode.
    Great example of a good use.

Flashaholic*

I don't and I wouldn't buy a primary light with that feature unless it was well hidden. I say primary because I have purchased keychain lights like the Lod or preon that have strobe. The only time I have ever used them is to annoy my wife.

defend myself in pitch dark, shot light directly into the eyes of the criminal
    love Fenix!

Quote Originally Posted by nickso View Post
    Great example of a good use.
    +1 good use and good idea to switch back to a regular mode after grabbing initial attention.

I just picked up an Eagletac D25A clicky and I like that the strobes are buried from the UI. It also has full power slow flashing and half power slower flashing that I think would be appropriate for changing a flat tire by the road side, and as a bicyclist/pedestrian after dark (respectively). Lastly, as a camper, I could see using a beacon mode too.

Enlightened

I use it all the time whenever I go hiking. It's very useful for getting someone's attention far away. If I get a 'where are you?' on my walkie talkie, I cup my hand and strobe my palm while turning it 360 degrees. I usually get a 'ok, I see your light' after. Also, my dog has gotten to the point where he can wander around in the dark and comes straight to me when he sees me strobing the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu_Travelbee View Post
    ah-hahhhhh an actual use!

Flashaholic

I've used a strobe a couple times on tactical building searches, but since no one was actually there, I can't fully testify as to its effectiveness. I have also conducted some force-on-force training using strobe and we found it to be more effective than just the bright light when "getting off the X" and maneuvering against an aggressor who is charging you. Of course, the effectiveness depends on a couple things. First, The defender must already have the light in his/her hand and have a plan on what to do with it. This requires training, but just like any martial art or fighting style, isn't impossible to apply in the real world. Second, the light must be able to "instantly" access strobe. Since I value a high-mode (non-strobe) for most of what I do tactically, most lights won't work for this task. The multi-click strobe lights are too complicated and too easy to skip and accidentally activate another mode like 'low'. The bezel twist lights are too slow to activate or remove the strobe function if you need high.

I recently purchased two Klarus lights (XT11 and XT1C). These are the first lights I've used where I can truly see them being used in a reactive tactical situation due to the dual-tailcap switch allowing instant momentary strobe or high mode. Now the question becomes how effective strobe really is, what situations it may work for, and whether it is worth incorporating into the tactical tool-box. I know there are many who say they have heard of no law enforcement officers who have used strobe. Well, most LE are still carrying incandescent Mag and Streamlights, have no training on the use of strobe, and a built-in aversion to change. We have seen this happen with the introduction of ballistic vests, transition from revolvers to semi-auto pistols, ammunition technology, less lethal weaponry, particularly batons, weapon-mounted lights, and lasers. So just because it hasn't been used doesn't mean it doesn't have potential value.

I do not see strobe as a solution to every problem, or even a majority of problems, but it just might be the right tool for 'some' jobs, and I feel it warrants objective study to see if it works. The key is training and testing in a force-on-force environment, using lights designed to do what we need the strobe to do, and then seeing if it works in the real world. So my jury is still out, but I'm looking into it and won't dismiss it yet.

Flashaholic*

When I'm out with the family and crossing the street at night I strobe the ground when crossing the street. In most cases approaching drivers slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    I've used a strobe a couple times on tactical building searches, but since no one was actually there, I can't fully testify as to its effectiveness. I have also conducted some force-on-force training using strobe and we found it to be more effective than just the bright light when "getting off the X" and maneuvering against an aggressor who is charging you. Of course, the effectiveness depends on a couple things. First, The defender must already have the light in his/her hand and have a plan on what to do with it. This requires training, but just like any martial art or fighting style, isn't impossible to apply in the real world. Second, the light must be able to "instantly" access strobe. Since I value a high-mode (non-strobe) for most of what I do tactically, most lights won't work for this task. The multi-click strobe lights are too complicated and too easy to skip and accidentally activate another mode like 'low'. The bezel twist lights are too slow to activate or remove the strobe function if you need high.

I recently purchased two Klarus lights (XT11 and XT1C). These are the first lights I've used where I can truly see them being used in a reactive tactical situation due to the dual-tailcap switch allowing instant momentary strobe or high mode. Now the question becomes how effective strobe really is, what situations it may work for, and whether it is worth incorporating into the tactical tool-box. I know there are many who say they have heard of no law enforcement officers who have used strobe. Well, most LE are still carrying incandescent Mag and Streamlights, have no training on the use of strobe, and a built-in aversion to change. We have seen this happen with the introduction of ballistic vests, transition from revolvers to semi-auto pistols, ammunition technology, less lethal weaponry, particularly batons, weapon-mounted lights, and lasers. So just because it hasn't been used doesn't mean it doesn't have potential value.

I do not see strobe as a solution to every problem, or even a majority of problems, but it just might be the right tool for 'some' jobs, and I feel it warrants objective study to see if it works. The key is training and testing in a force-on-force environment, using lights designed to do what we need the strobe to do, and then seeing if it works in the real world. So my jury is still out, but I'm looking into it and won't dismiss it yet.

The key is training to use a 'strobe flashlight'.

Beside the most common use is to signal an accident or caution warning if you need it. But the key for any use is training and the ability to think under stress.

to annoy people in my workplace ..............and to say looky what i,ve got..

Flashaholic*

There's another thread that describes my using it at the scene of a minor traffic accident this past winter.

Mind you, drivers ignored 200+ lumens shined directly at them but finally paid attention to the strobe feature.

So heck yeah, I like the strobe feature.

Don't know if it actually saved lives but several driver who did not pay attention to the light before I turned on the strobe feature spun on black ice and there was quite a bit of damage.

If there's another incident (and I hope there isn't) I'll use it from the "git-go." I'm now a believer.
    "Show them a light, and they'll follow it anywhere..."

Enlightened

Be careful not to aim your light or strobe someone right in the eyes when you are trying to warn them of some danger like a traffic accident, it's kind of hard to avoid something when all you can see is spots. A better option might be to aim it at what you are trying to warn them of, like that patch of black ice or the back of your disabled vehicle, this allows them to actually see what you want them to avoid and the less intense reflection of your strobe will get their attention.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast