What do you use your "strobe" function for?

Hot Brass

Enlightened
Hi: Just curious (newbie!) as to what you use your "strobe' function on your flashlight for....is it to incapacitate attackers for a second, or what are some other uses?
Same goes for the obvious S.O.S. function...other than survival? Thanks,Hot Brass

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have never used it. Not a believer in the first use there are other more effective defensive strategies, and have never had to use a flashlight in an emergency in that manner yet, hopefully never will.

Other than an emergency I dont ever see me using the function.

hoffmyster86

Newly Enlightened
it has two general functions, one is to anoy folks with and the other is to say ''ooo nig shney one with 58 fuctions and it comes with a free puddy cat, a bag of crisps and..we'll charge yu later' ??

if it was sos..yeh, comes under a function, if it was 3 quick long pause or 6 quick long pause it would come under 'need help/ ok now'.. but stroabing? yup the two reasons above.

mine plays the ukalayley ner ner nu ner ner lmao!

added in..

have you seen starwars? they all have flashing led lights, or was it 'you will buy this Luke'...'use the forse, the 57 clicky selectable strobey forse'... ahh sorry, yup yup, i've got it..'you WILL buy one with a strobe'........NOW cheepy cheapy, f....k you long time 5 dolla. (what else can they do with that chip? they bought fousands of um!).

Last edited:

Sintro

Newly Enlightened
It's well use on coyotes and I'm sure other wild animals.

I think it all depends on the speed of the strobe, because a real slow one doesn't seem as useful to me, a slow strobe would be like having a really slow abs; you could do it yourself. While a fast strobe, such as on the Crelant 7g5 v2 freaks you out more. I wouldn't even have to be an animal, and if someone shined the strobe at me, I'd be like WTF?

Last edited:

hoffmyster86

Newly Enlightened
just had a little ponder, and i think a new section tittled 'the ergot ward' should be set up by admin, specifically for those tecno failure devices, bad batteries, wonky chips etc, with a rating of all time worste lol.

worste design awards :shrug:

wjv

Enlightened
On a different forum where I am a member, there is a sub-forum for Law Enforcement Officer. I asked a question there if any of the LEOs there have ever used the strobe in a real life situation. . Nope! None of them felt that it was a viable option. Trying it at home I found that the dog and my youngest daughter simply ignore it. And my wife and oldest daughter tell me to shut the {BLEEPING} thing off.

I really wonder why it is actually included on flashlights, and who the heck came up with the idea that it would be useful?

Have no clue what effect it would have on a PCP or Crack addict charging at you with a knife.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
If a crackhead is already charging at you it won't do anything I fear... However, a strobe is great at getting attention, mostly from peripheral vision. It's not a huge feature, and the defensive aspect is overrated in my opinion. Only if you surprise a burglar in the dark, a strobe and a heavy voice might cause a flee rather than fight reaction, which might just be the optimal outcome.

bushmattster

Newly Enlightened
Absolutely nothing. It's a joke for defensive purposes. I don't need any blinky functions at all.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a different forum where I am a member, there is a sub-forum for Law Enforcement Officer. I asked a question there if any of the LEOs there have ever used the strobe in a real life situation. . Nope! None of them felt that it was a viable option. Trying it at home I found that the dog and my youngest daughter simply ignore it. And my wife and oldest daughter tell me to shut the {BLEEPING} thing off.

I really wonder why it is actually included on flashlights, and who the heck came up with the idea that it would be useful?
QUOTE]

I now like to have a strobe option for the reasons you expressed.

I am 68 years old and if I was being bothered and had practiced the use of using the strobe it might bother someone enough to leave me alone. It certainly would be a visual show of notice.

Flashlight Enthusiast
let just say this

Since I got my new XML driven lights with strobe function, I have NOT been attacked by a bear, or siberian tiger. Not even once.

there ya go

wjv

Enlightened
let just say this

Since I got my new XML driven lights with strobe function, I have NOT been attacked by a bear, or siberian tiger. Not even once.

there ya go

I thought that Bear and Siberian Tiger required a different strobe mode for each!

Natasha and I use strobe to defend against Moose and Squirrel!

Last edited:

hawk45

Newly Enlightened
I don't know why I like it.. but I do. It mostly get used to annoy people and temporarily blind friends during many beers.

CMAG

Enlightened
no use disco is dead the slow blink on my pocket rocket has a use and is bypassed until needed

nickso

Newly Enlightened
I was also going to mention the other LEO posts I have seen and they have said the same thing.
IMHO if all I had were the FL, then I would use the weight/hardness metal and not the strobe for defense.

Stu_Travelbee

Newly Enlightened
Twice in the last six months I used the strobe function on my TA20 when helping at the scene of auto accidents on the highway near our home at night. It takes just under 15 minutes for emergence responders to arrive due to our remote location. This part of the highway has a 65 MPH speed limit so I used the strobe to alert others vehicles to the accident in the dark then switch back to regular mode.

nickso

Newly Enlightened
Twice in the last six months I used the strobe function on my TA20 when helping at the scene of auto accidents on the highway near our home at night. It takes just under 15 minutes for emergence responders to arrive due to our remote location. This part of the highway has a 65 MPH speed limit so I used the strobe to alert others vehicles to the accident in the dark then switch back to regular mode.

Great example of a good use.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
I don't and I wouldn't buy a primary light with that feature unless it was well hidden. I say primary because I have purchased keychain lights like the Lod or preon that have strobe. The only time I have ever used them is to annoy my wife.