Your Clicky Switch Goes Out In An Emergency Situation

ragweed

Enlightened
Since I have several flashlights with click switches, I have often wondered if there is a way to Mcgiver the light so it works. I know the paper clip trick which would be awkward at best. Any other way to hotwire a dead switch? Thanks in advance!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If it's a tail clickie, some Al foil on the inside of the switch will work to bridget the gap, turing the light into a constant on or a tail twistie. If it's a head clickie, it might be hard to get to the switch, same with an electronic clickie (the clickie doesn't actually go between the light and the power supply).

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree w/ gunner12. Use some conductive, pliable material, and bridge the gap between battery negative and the sidewall, then screw the cap down so it can't move.

ragweed

Enlightened
Thats great news..! I forgot to include tail clickie which is what I have on all my click lights. I guess I need to carry al foil in my wallet for just in case..!! It could save someone a lot of grief in a real emergency situation..!

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always carry a back-up light! I like to carry one that uses the same batteries.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good info folks...

I already carry a piece of tinfoil in my wallet, but it was intended for using AAAs in my AA light (ie, use $ bills wrapped around the AAA and a ball of tinfoil at the negative end, as spacers).

bstrickler

Enlightened
Always carry a back-up light! I like to carry one that uses the same batteries.

Amen!

I usually carry my Surefire U2 and Fenix E15 on me, and sometimes a Z2 (with the twisty, so I can use it on my U2, if the switch craps out) with an M61. Only time I use rechargeables is at work (otherwise I'd go through $20-$30 in primaries a month), but I have 4 primaries in my lunchbox, in case I need them for some other reason.

But, if for some reason I don't have the Z2 on me, I have coins on me, so I can figure out how to make them fit in the tailcap, and work as a poor mans switch.