New Defiant hl

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Now, Know this is an XP-g)

I just impulsively purchased a $18 Home Depot Defiant 117 lumen HL (one high power and 6 rgw leds).

I cannot tell the type of high power emitter without very strong magnification glass. Looks like my xpg with naked eye.

Since specs are BS, I will hang on to my receipt until reply with emitter type.

Too early to post comment about it: Yes, not water proof (need to pay more and not needed for dry work lights), Yes, short band, though longer than some (will take breakin time); Generous hotspot (shallower than hp12), which is bright (meaning newer gen cree); a cree ring can be seen; not xpe or xpc, something larger; Neutral color; surely no controller; yes bad AAA format but very easily modifyable for AA; poor documentation.

Last edited:

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm always interested in the reports on inexpensive headlamps, so thanks!
I was using 1 of my 4 Fenix hp 11 hls for daily vaccuming and reading at night. I learned wife will make them disappear if I set down and forget-hates me looking over her hw with light. Also, not good for cord to fall asleep with/on, if need for work. So there if a place for these sub twenty dollar lights.Also, you need a brick and mortor source for immediate breakage replacement, loss, or surge in a need, as in some big job.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
on job now. I just got 14 mega pixel pic of emitter and zoomed. The defiant emiiter looks liike my hp11 xpg, with four sections.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
tail cap reading here of .29 amp on fresh aaa alkaline and .22 on fresh nimh.also, the two mini leds are perfect for reading, current ther untested.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
tail cap reading here of .29 amp on fresh aaa alkaline and .22 on fresh nimh.also, the two mini leds are perfect for reading, current ther untested.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
the two low power white leds pull 40 milliamps with nimh. Green 40 and red 50.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D6019894_600_713193712
That link is image of the Defiant xpg led.

I only have tested head to head against an HP11 and Lux1 deep reflector called Brinkman (On e barely used, that I use as reference for throw.) The output is similar to the Hp11 20 hour mode, with less discipline, larger hotspot and more wasted spill. For all my tasks I need crisp 20/10 vision--whether painting, sanding, house keeping, dust chasing, glue removing, threading needles, threading screws and spotting small items in a cluttered area. So, I prefer the HP11 beam-more so, because it uses nearly half the current. Also color was greener than the hp11, which I do not like. ... Against the Lux 1, it stomps it's butt on throw, spill, color, and hot spot size--making me happy. I am guessing r2 to r4 bin xpg. R3 or r4, based on current and 110 lumen spec. While, r2 based on bean counter and business logic.

I would say the HP 11 twenty hour setting has about 8 hours of extra runtime than my typical workday. The modification to 3 aa, should be super easy as switch just unscrews and you could modify it there. (I haven't got as far to see if one could buy a fenix like controller, or how hard to bypass the resistor.) The mod to a simple 3aa (I recommend 2 aa on rear, and one somewhere closer to front on center strap, for comfort) would be interesting: cost a total with hl of $25; runtime 11 +hours (with no pot) on Maha 2700s (much longer with pot); and ample light 12 foot detail work.

I will use the Defiant light for reading to kids, estimates, and house work. If I loose it, no big deal. I think $60 for a Fenix HP11 more suited for my business, and worth the extra price for on the job use. (Give me a cheap controller with fenix specs, the map for removing the resistor, and I would do a mod, for fun. )

Last edited:

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just realized yesterday that the lens and reflector just pop off, with a screw driver. The board had very clear writing on it " XP-G R3"! So, this is a 126 lumen per watt led driven by 3 alkaline at .28 milliamp fresh for 110 lumens; and 3 NiMH at .22 for at least 80 lumens (probably more since under driven).

My runtime experience with 4 year old worn-out hybrids is 3 hours of useful light for painting. Then one of the three cells crash, prompting me to swap for new. In contrast, all my coleman Max xr-e offer me is about 45 minutes of useful painting light, then a swap. Lux per watt is more important for me than lumen/watt. So, while the reflector is shallow, the increase in efficiency is enough to make this light 3x to 4x more useful than my coleman max.

Again, contrasting it with the $12 home depot xr-c rayovac, the throw is less, compared with hi and (to a tiny degree) low. The xrc had tail cap reading with alkalines of 480 milliamps on high, and 160 on low. With first set of NiMH (not fresh off charger), I read exactly half, 240 hi and 80 low. I read briefly (before I broke the spring) on fresh off charger NiMH about 300 Hi and and 110 or 100 on low. I would conclude the $12 Rayovac to be the first AAA light that offered useful lux for a full 8 hours; the Defiant xpg to be a cheap good reading/house cleaning/estimate light. I made two wrist lights of my Rayvac with elastic, amazing goop, and velcro--The most practical design yet. The Fenix HP11 headlamp still stomps both homedepot lights' butt for output, runtime, overall usefullness, and value (at $60). Still, there is a place in my day and night for both of these inexpensive lights.