The Fenix-Store

Thread: Surefire modular P60 lights vs. new models?

Default Surefire modular P60 lights vs. new models?

Little flashlight philosophy question here. Over the long run, would it make more sense to have an old P60-based Surefire you could keep swapping LED modules into, or a new integrated model and just sell/replace when you want a brighter one? I see the advantages of the old one as customizability vs. more features (like multi-stage tailcap) for the newer one.

Reason I ask is that I have a Z2L (80 lumen LED) and a P2X and really can only afford to keep one. Z2 would need a new drop-in to compete with the P2X of course.
    Do something alone and it's weird, do it with others and it's a club.

Default Re: Surefire modular P60 lights vs. new models?

Personally I would rather have the older style...not just because of the aftermarket parts utility but I also just think they have a nicer style in general with few exceptions. Although the CPF response should apply here as well...you say you can only afford one...since I have been able to find many older Surefires for sale at reduced prices from what they originally sold for I would say stick with the older one.

Philosophically, are you the kind of person who prefers spending more money less often or less money more often?

The new lights are good users for people who don't need the latest and greatest every year, while the old P60 lights offer more fun for a flashaholic.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
    Philosophically, are you the kind of person who prefers spending more money less often or less money more often?
    I'm the kind of guy who prefers to spend less money less often. Doesn't always work that way, though. I like the modability of the modular ones, but my old 2005 U2 is still my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by ABTOMAT View Post
    I'm the kind of guy who prefers to spend less money less often.
    Nice. Get older/used hosts (keep the z2) and whatever drop in looks fun/useful.

If it was me, I would definitely stick with the Z2 for the reasons posted above.

Looking forward, if you don't have to have the latest-and-greatest, very good LED dropin upgrades can be purchased at excellent prices when folks are upgrading to the newest stuff.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

Keep the old and learn to roll your own drop-ins.

Two things, the older hosts can be updated as technology improves, usually at a lower cost than a new Surefire head. Second, High CRI neutral emitters don't seem to be part of Surefire's plans for now or the near future. I just won't buy a cool LED. The only cool led's I've bought in the last 4 years are the ones that came on my power tools, and even in that utilitarian role they bother me a bit.

If you think of your Z2 from the aspect of a hot rod then you just keep updating it w/ a new "engine" vs. "trading in" your late model Chevy for a new one [P2X].
    ^G When I reply, threads die....

Nice. Get older/used hosts (keep the z2) and whatever drop in looks fun/useful.
    +1

There is a wider selection of P60 drop-ins today than ever before. Single, triple, quad emitter & everything from single mode to multiple-confusion-mode

Surefire makes awesome lights but they normally don't offer TLAG (the latest and greatest). For that the P60 builders are the ones to look to.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, gun repairs, blueing & custom work * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through www:Precision.Works

Yeah I agree with every one else. I mean If you were stuck between a Z2 and a Fenix or Jetbeam or a Gismo or something super small and bright It would be different. But with just Surefire (P60 sized lights) I say go host and drop in. You can easily get something brighter than the fury for like $40 to plop in you Z2 plus you can get it bored to take 18mm cells, and you can have any tint you want.

The only thing I can see is it might be hard to get the Furys throw and brightness in a drop in but I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could.
    Fenix LD01 R4, E05 R4, PD31, TK20, TK35, E11, Jetbeam BC25, RRT-0, Klarus NT20, iTP A3 R5, A3 Ti S2, 4Sevens Preon 1, Quark X 123^2, Sunwayman V10R Ti, Surefire G2X Tactical, ThruNite TN31, Mag-Lite XL50, Mag 2D XP-E

Thanks for all the input. Guess I'll be putting a Fury in BST soon. The only advantages the Fury has for me are a two-stage clickie tailcap and an unconditional warranty on electronics, but in general I prefer the older SFs too. And I have a UB3T for throw.

I used to have a bunch of early Laser Products models I wish I had kept long enough for drop-in LEDs to hit the market.

2 stage? isn't it just click on click off? get a Mcclicky
    Fenix LD01 R4, E05 R4, PD31, TK20, TK35, E11, Jetbeam BC25, RRT-0, Klarus NT20, iTP A3 R5, A3 Ti S2, 4Sevens Preon 1, Quark X 123^2, Sunwayman V10R Ti, Surefire G2X Tactical, ThruNite TN31, Mag-Lite XL50, Mag 2D XP-E

The new one's might be nice and modern, but I still can't get used to the "new" look.

The new lights that are supposed to replace the original P and Z series, are just ugly. They lost the SureFire look.

Sure they perform well, but I can get an old 6P, put a well built potted drop-in into it, and have a better light that actually feels solid.

This coming from someone who only wants a single mode light and couldn't care less about the new multi-mode lights. (Except LX2 and selector rings. The click to change is worthless IMO)

Yeah, I sold the Fury. Really not sold on the exterior design. Still wondering what the UM2 will be like.

Flashaholic*

I don't find the new mid-range line of Surefires appealing in the least, I can't believe they've gone down this road.
    ampdude

I'll stick with the P60 format for the forseeable future, as long as there are talented folks making modules for them. Being able to choose your tint, beam pattern, output level, and modes if you desire allows one to tailor-make a light or lights to fit their needs. From screamer to long-running emergency light in as long as it takes to swap cells and dropin. Modularity in cell choices with an extender and sleeve, etc. There are just so many P60 options out there now... I can appreciate the off-the-shelf models, and admit they will provide great service well into the future, but the P60 just has a certain draw... I only own a G2 right now, but have a Z44(?) head for it to be able to run higher powered modules as well as "G2 Approved" lower powered ones. May have to rectify my 6P/9P deficiency...

I like your question!

By the way, I like the 24 hour watch under your name; I have a 24 hour LUM-TEC in PVD and I like 00 hundred hours at the top too.

Quote Originally Posted by Search View Post
    The new one's might be nice and modern, but I still can't get used to the "new" look.

The new lights that are supposed to replace the original P and Z series, are just ugly. They lost the SureFire look.

Sure they perform well, but I can get an old 6P, put a well built potted drop-in into it, and have a better light that actually feels solid.

This coming from someone who only wants a single mode light and couldn't care less about the new multi-mode lights. (Except LX2 and selector rings. The click to change is worthless IMO)
    agreed 100%
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Enlightened

I like the P60 models myself. I have always loved my SF 6p and when I finally started looking for brighter lights and noticed that Surefire discontinued all but the original, incandescent 6p, I spent a bit of money on brighter lights with "improved technology" that I didn't like anywhere near as much. Either I didn't like the bezel or the body or the anodizing sucked or it didn't have as nice of a grip or something that my extremely picky self didn't like. As I continued my quest, I stumbled on this site and started learning about all the p60 possibilities. Unfortunately, I had already spent a bit of money on new, brighter complete lights. So now I am selling all of my "new" lights (except my Fenix TK15 and PD21 - I DO like those) and building a few 6p's/9p's for different applications. I'm building a couple of good all around lights with Malkoff drop ins, and them I'm going to be working on a flood and a thrower with some custom drop ins from some of the knowledgeable folks here on this board, all in the p60 platform.

I just have one more light to sell that is listed over on the CPF marketplace forum if any one is interested It is a Surefire 6px.
    It actually is a great light, and it's bright and it does feel solid. But I don't like the way it looks. The anodizing is great and it feels as solid as my old 6p, but I liked the anodizing pattern of the old skool 6p's better. The new SF lights seem like they will slip out of my hand way too easy. Someone else may like it, but I guess I am too old fashioned and I have owned my 6p for too long.

Now that I know what's out there and I have found this site and have some resources to get some p60 drop in modules built, I figure that as long as I can get p60 drop ins as LED technology continues to evolve, I will stay on the p60 platform. There's no reason these aluminum bodies will not last the rest of my natural life and then some. It's just a matter of what will evolve as far as LED technology over the years and what materials will be available as the economy changes and will 123a lithium batteries and/or their rechargeable counterparts continue to be available, or will some other technology come along that will render all batteries we know today as old news and they eventually get phased out.

All I can say is to try some and see what's best for you. It may come to pass that newer SF models will be able to be modded as they get into the marketplace a bit more and people figure out ways to disassemble them and replace the innards. Perhaps you may just like change and like new styles as they come out. It's all personal preference and taste. But there's obviously a good p60 after market and that does say something.
    Last edited by arvetus; 08-20-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Flashaholic*

The question now is: Since SF stopped making P60-compatible models, will there be enough P60 interest in the future with the remaining P60 lights, almost all of which are Chinese-made (except for Oveready which is USA-made). Since Solarforce keeps making new P60 models, I sure hope the P60 keeps going but who knows....?
    life's big questions/answers here:
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/qa.asp
    "So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God." Romans 14:12

Default Surefire modular P60 lights vs. new models?

It's a good question. There are advantages to drop in approaches that can't be replaced. There is a well established standard and that short of a new better standard, this one will continue.