Surefire modular P60 lights vs. new models?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Little flashlight philosophy question here. Over the long run, would it make more sense to have an old P60-based Surefire you could keep swapping LED modules into, or a new integrated model and just sell/replace when you want a brighter one? I see the advantages of the old one as customizability vs. more features (like multi-stage tailcap) for the newer one.

Reason I ask is that I have a Z2L (80 lumen LED) and a P2X and really can only afford to keep one. Z2 would need a new drop-in to compete with the P2X of course.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I would rather have the older style...not just because of the aftermarket parts utility but I also just think they have a nicer style in general with few exceptions. Although the CPF response should apply here as well...you say you can only afford one...since I have been able to find many older Surefires for sale at reduced prices from what they originally sold for I would say stick with the older one.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Philosophically, are you the kind of person who prefers spending more money less often or less money more often?

Erzengel

Enlightened
The new lights are good users for people who don't need the latest and greatest every year, while the old P60 lights offer more fun for a flashaholic.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Philosophically, are you the kind of person who prefers spending more money less often or less money more often?

I'm the kind of guy who prefers to spend less money less often. Doesn't always work that way, though. I like the modability of the modular ones, but my old 2005 U2 is still my favorite.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
If it was me, I would definitely stick with the Z2 for the reasons posted above.

Looking forward, if you don't have to have the latest-and-greatest, very good LED dropin upgrades can be purchased at excellent prices when folks are upgrading to the newest stuff.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two things, the older hosts can be updated as technology improves, usually at a lower cost than a new Surefire head. Second, High CRI neutral emitters don't seem to be part of Surefire's plans for now or the near future. I just won't buy a cool LED. The only cool led's I've bought in the last 4 years are the ones that came on my power tools, and even in that utilitarian role they bother me a bit.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Nice. Get older/used hosts (keep the z2) and whatever drop in looks fun/useful.
+1

There is a wider selection of P60 drop-ins today than ever before. Single, triple, quad emitter & everything from single mode to multiple-confusion-mode :)

Surefire makes awesome lights but they normally don't offer TLAG (the latest and greatest). For that the P60 builders are the ones to look to.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Yeah I agree with every one else. I mean If you were stuck between a Z2 and a Fenix or Jetbeam or a Gismo or something super small and bright It would be different. But with just Surefire (P60 sized lights) I say go host and drop in. You can easily get something brighter than the fury for like $40 to plop in you Z2 plus you can get it bored to take 18mm cells, and you can have any tint you want.

The only thing I can see is it might be hard to get the Furys throw and brightness in a drop in but I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the input. Guess I'll be putting a Fury in BST soon. The only advantages the Fury has for me are a two-stage clickie tailcap and an unconditional warranty on electronics, but in general I prefer the older SFs too. And I have a UB3T for throw. :D

I used to have a bunch of early Laser Products models I wish I had kept long enough for drop-in LEDs to hit the market.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new one's might be nice and modern, but I still can't get used to the "new" look.

The new lights that are supposed to replace the original P and Z series, are just ugly. They lost the SureFire look.

Sure they perform well, but I can get an old 6P, put a well built potted drop-in into it, and have a better light that actually feels solid.

This coming from someone who only wants a single mode light and couldn't care less about the new multi-mode lights. (Except LX2 and selector rings. The click to change is worthless IMO)

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't find the new mid-range line of Surefires appealing in the least, I can't believe they've gone down this road.

scout24

Flashaholic
I'll stick with the P60 format for the forseeable future, as long as there are talented folks making modules for them. Being able to choose your tint, beam pattern, output level, and modes if you desire allows one to tailor-make a light or lights to fit their needs. From screamer to long-running emergency light in as long as it takes to swap cells and dropin. Modularity in cell choices with an extender and sleeve, etc. There are just so many P60 options out there now... I can appreciate the off-the-shelf models, and admit they will provide great service well into the future, but the P60 just has a certain draw... :) I only own a G2 right now, but have a Z44(?) head for it to be able to run higher powered modules as well as "G2 Approved" lower powered ones. May have to rectify my 6P/9P deficiency...

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like your question!

By the way, I like the 24 hour watch under your name; I have a 24 hour LUM-TEC in PVD and I like 00 hundred hours at the top too. :cool:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new one's might be nice and modern, but I still can't get used to the "new" look.

The new lights that are supposed to replace the original P and Z series, are just ugly. They lost the SureFire look.

Sure they perform well, but I can get an old 6P, put a well built potted drop-in into it, and have a better light that actually feels solid.

This coming from someone who only wants a single mode light and couldn't care less about the new multi-mode lights. (Except LX2 and selector rings. The click to change is worthless IMO)

agreed 100%