AA "Vampire" Battery Light

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
So we know the Fenix E01 is a great vampire light to draw the last drop out of an AAA, but what do we have in the AA front?

NOTE: Edited post. Previously said "parasite" instead of "vampire"...

Last edited:

crizyal

Enlightened
Re: AA "Parasite" Battery Light

Oh, you mean vampire lights.:kiss:

Safe lights/PALights use a 9 Volt battery long after a smoke detector says it is dead.

EDIT: My mistake... I missed the AA prerequisite.
I do have a joule thief that can use a AA. I am not sure how long it lasts though. I have had it by my bedside for the better part of a year using it a bit each night. I am still on the original half used battery.

Last edited:

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Oh, you mean vampire lights.:kiss:

Safe lights/PALights use a 9 Volt battery long after a smoke detector says it is dead.

EDIT: My mistake... I missed the AA prerequisite.
I do have a joule thief that can use a AA. I am not sure how long it lasts though. I have had it by my bedside for the better part of a year using it a bit each night. I am still on the original half used battery.

Hahaha yes vampire lights. An AA battery vampire. I thought it sounded funny but couldn't quite put my finger in it, which is why I put it in quotes :)

Know of the Joule Thief but not wanting to hack a host for it...

CMAG

Enlightened

Member Qwillis makes a joule thief driver and now member Nailbender is makeing dropins with them
No need to hack

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Best one I have for this job is an old and cheap Task Force 1AA that Lowe's used to sell. I haven't seen this model in a while, however. My Nitecore D11.2 is a good vampire, too.

Geoff

somnambulated

Newly Enlightened
Inova has a few AA models that should work well for this. Only reason I still have my 123a Inova.

• Mobile post

braddy

Enlightened

CMG/ Gerber Infinity. Pulls every last ma out of a cell.
I agree, we mean the old 41 hour ones right? Does anyone know how the old CMG green led compares with the white in this way?Also, any opinion of the more modern 25 hour Gerber as a AA drainer?

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Know of the Joule Thief but not wanting to hack a host for it...

If you don't mind using a 3mm LED, you can use it in a 2AA mag and replace one battery with the joule thief.

Or just get the NiteIZE 3 LED drop in .. that's not too bad for draining batteries

Last edited:

Danielight

Enlightened

I assume the value of having a "vampire" light would be to drain the last of the charge out of PRIMARY batteries (alkaline or NiMH)?

Tegan's Dad

Newly Enlightened

Anybody ever use an incan for a vampire light? I assume that would work well since it's more of a resistive/inductive load compared to that of an LED.

EDIT: I know this is an LED forum, just curious...

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

Anybody ever use an incan for a vampire light? I assume that would work well since it's more of a resistive/inductive load compared to that of an LED.

EDIT: I know this is an LED forum, just curious...
Incans don't even compare to LEDs for sucking the last 5-10% out of a battery they tend to go "orange" at about 1.1v per cell vs LEDs can change tints but give useful light down to 0.5v per cell with the right driver. The currents at which the low level outputs are at are so low that I don't think any incan bulbs are designed for that low current and voltage to give any light at all.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree, we mean the old 41 hour ones right? Does anyone know how the old CMG green led compares with the white in this way?...
IIRC there wasn't that much real difference in runtime between white and green Infinities, but I always felt I was getting more light out of the green LEDs.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Our eyes see green and blue light better than reds and yellows.
That's why I bought them. I still have quite a few of CMG Infinities in LED colors that interest me that will probably continue to run forever. My avatar tells the whole story.

Last edited: